R1 brake conversion question.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmeg

Reaction score
I know most if this has been covered before, BUT

Does anyone know the bore size of and R1 front master cylinder?
I have a CB1100xx, but need to know if the bore size is ok..

And, on my 1985:

If I use 2003 R1 calipers and rotors (rotors seem to fit), I know I need adaptors, but $160 + ?
Does anyone have a schematic for them: I have a mate who's a machinist.
Otherwise I guess it's the only way...

And can I use my old front rotors (one of them) on the rear?

Thanks guys..

Greetings all.
Still working out my brakes.
Fitted a 2001 R1 M/c today, and wondering why I am bothering with R1 rotors and calipers. Big difference! (already has Goodrich braided lines)
Have ordered adaptors for calipers.
Looks like the front disc will fit on the rear.
Will advise..

Right front is same as rear. Left will fit but cooling fins are wrong direction. R1/R6/FJR and other newer rotors will fit front. Why get R1/R6 calipers when you can use 6 piston busa calipers with my adapters at a fraction of the cost.

Sean

Yea, maybe someday I can get something posted somewhere so people can see a cheaper way to get better brakes. The r1 system will work just fine for him.

Just for his future knowledge - the rotors will interchange and is virtually the same as the newer vmax rotors. The difference is the vmax rotors have the bolt heads slightly recessed into the rotor so they can clear the newer thicker fork legs.

Sean

And don't forget to use a right side 98-03 R-1 caliper on the back too with a braided line and modified hangar. What I want is that trick underslung hangar from those Euro punks. Mucho dinero....:worthy:

And don't forget to use a right side 98-03 R-1 caliper on the back too with a braided line and modified hangar. What I want is that trick underslung hangar from those Euro punks. Mucho dinero....:worthy:
Pat, have you seen this Keith's work from custom vmax services. He has a couple different underslung mounts, and with the current exchange rate it may be doable. :confused2:

Pat, have you seen this Keith's work from custom vmax services. He has a couple different underslung mounts, and with the current exchange rate it may be doable. :confused2:

That's where the adaptors are coming from for the front.
I got R1 rotors and calipers cheap (<$150 AU), not really thinking of the 'Busa option until too late.

Rode it today, and even just the R1 M/c makes a huge difference to brake action. It is now far more graduated under brakes, and much easier to pull up quite hard. Getting excited about new front springs and those scary calipers now.

Thanks for the replies : I now have the confidence to use a front rotor on the rear.

And the rear setup is on the list, believe me.

The $AU (or pacific peso as it is known) at the moment does not buy a great deal however.

Need to get a Goodridge braided line for the rear also - PO only did the front :ummm: .

Will be good to have brakes and suspension that match the power level. :eusa_dance:

That's where the adaptors are coming from for the front.
I got R1 rotors and calipers cheap (<$150 AU), not really thinking of the 'Busa option until too late.

Rode it today, and even just the R1 M/c makes a huge difference to brake action. It is now far more graduated under brakes, and much easier to pull up quite hard. Getting excited about new front springs and those scary calipers now.

Thanks for the replies : I now have the confidence to use a front rotor on the rear.

And the rear setup is on the list, believe me.

The $AU (or pacific peso as it is known) at the moment does not buy a great deal however.

Need to get a Goodridge braided line for the rear also - PO only did the front :ummm: .

Will be good to have brakes and suspension that match the power level. :eusa_dance:

if you're planning on putting a front caliper on the rear by use of the modified hanger, i know if its going in the stock position-you'll need a longer rear line! no so sure about the underslung conversion. i think my rear line is 27" or 28"

later odieoh24

Front now done!
Master cylinder first (R1)
Man that's good, much better action, much more graduated.
Then the Custom Vmax service's caliper adaptors for the R1 rotors & calipers.
Oh boy, that's spectacular. Now it stops almost as good as it goes...
Got the rear hanger, and an R1 rear caliper, got to fit the swingarm brace before I install.
Looking forward to my new springs next:rofl_200:
Pictures soon..

Back