R1 calipers with Galfer SS lines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
I have installed the gold dot R1 calipers with the Galfer SS 3-lines. The lines to me appear far too long and I even tried to criss cross them. Take a look and im up for any suggestions. Should I just pull the two lower lines and send them back to Galfer to shorten them properly?

Thanks for your input,

Mike
MD chapter leader
VMOA #2116

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpg
    IMG_4816.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4818.jpg
    IMG_4818.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 79
that would bug me too. i'd see if i could get 'em fixed, altho i doubt it will do any harm. they can't get caught on anything right?

Hi Garrett,

No, I adjusted the right side so it wouldnt hit the radiator, but there is so much slack that it does look sloppy. I really dont like the crossed line look either. I guess I just answered my question already. I will have to call Galfer to find out the process to have them shorten the lines. I guess I shouldnt have gone with the OEM replacement size knowing I was doing the R1 upgrades. I thought there was only going to be an inch or two play not 6".

Mike
MD Chapter Leader
VMOA #2116

thats what i would do. but then again i'm paranoid/anal like that.

tie a knot? j/k that sucks bro! what part # did you get so i make sure not to get that 1? im about to do the same mod

Hi Vmaximum,

I bought the stock boxed OEM 3-line replacement. My thought was there would only be an inch or two of extra line, but boy was I wrong! I emailed Galfer and they want $15/line plush $9 shipping, so thats a $39 mistake on my part. You just need to custom order them as cut to size instead. I guess I will just have to eat the cost to get it right. This looks too messy right now so I'm not even going to waste my oil on bleeding it out yet. I will just go do my clutch and rear brake lines for now.

I'll post pics once I get these cut down. I guess in the meantime, I can look for a 2003 FJR1300 brake master setup used. Someone here showed some knockoffs on ebay with the 14mm bore, but my worry would be for parts if it needed a rebuild.

Hi Vmaximum,

I bought the stock boxed OEM 3-line replacement. My thought was there would only be an inch or two of extra line, but boy was I wrong! I emailed Galfer and they want $15/line plush $9 shipping, so thats a $39 mistake on my part. You just need to custom order them as cut to size instead. I guess I will just have to eat the cost to get it right. This looks too messy right now so I'm not even going to waste my oil on bleeding it out yet. I will just go do my clutch and rear brake lines for now.

right on, thanks bro. lets see some pics!

I have installed the gold dot R1 calipers with the Galfer SS 3-lines. The lines to me appear far too long and I even tried to criss cross them. Take a look and im up for any suggestions. Should I just pull the two lower lines and send them back to Galfer to shorten them properly?

Thanks for your input,

Mike
MD chapter leader
VMOA #2116

so running those calipers you would have been ok with stock length ss lines? was thinking of upgrading to SS lines for this year and maybe later on to calipers, wanted to know if i'll end up spending money twice.

so running those calipers you would have been ok with stock length ss lines? was thinking of upgrading to SS lines for this year and maybe later on to calipers, wanted to know if i'll end up spending money twice.

I think you can get by with the stock lines, but its best from what I have read around the forums to use the replacement SS lines. The stock lines expand upon braking making it a mushy feeling while the SS lines are precise response. The banjo on the R1 caliper is on the top while the stock caliper is 2" down the side. My pictures were taken at full compression when the forks were still opened not assembled so thats not a reality of what can happen. Once I closed the forks up with the 1" lower progressive springs & ricor intimidators installed, the play was more tolerable, but still I didnt like seeing/knowing there was slack. My goal was to make this a clean look like stock so I sent the lines back to Galfer, free might I add (except shipping), to have them cut down 2" on both lower lines. This will allow me to run them in the stock holders for a clean look. Once I get them back and installed, I will have pics posted here. I have a lot of pics to post since this was my first winter with this 2005 vmax and I overhauled quite a bit.

I'll update when I have her back together....

cool, cant wait to see the final pics. not sure when i'll chg the calipers but SS lines are next on the list of stuff to do.

cool, cant wait to see the final pics. not sure when i'll chg the calipers but SS lines are next on the list of stuff to do.

I just spoke with Dave at Galfer and they should have them back to me by early next week. Just in time for the warmer weather :)

Ok, updated....Galfer shorted both OEM lower 2 lines by 2" per my request and whoolah! Perfectomundo!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4839.jpg
    IMG_4839.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 42
Hold onto your seat......a whopping $9 for shipping! They are great folks to work with. I told them how I replaced all my lines with their SS braided lines and they took care of me. I think I still need to bleed the front and rears out more since its not as responsive as I figured it would be yet. That just leads me to believe there is still air in the lines my mityvac missed somehow. I think settlement will surface them too after a few rides. I like how the lines fit the stock pattern now too!

Hold onto your seat......a whopping $9 for shipping! They are great folks to work with. I told them how I replaced all my lines with their SS braided lines and they took care of me. I think I still need to bleed the front and rears out more since its not as responsive as I figured it would be yet. That just leads me to believe there is still air in the lines my mityvac missed somehow. I think settlement will surface them too after a few rides. I like how the lines fit the stock pattern now too!

when my rear rotor was having all sorts of problems, they took care of me. id ecided not to go with the rotor after they sent me a new one, but still they seem to have good CS. I dealt with Sandro, nice guy.

Back