Rear Brake Installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
The service manual says you can replace the rear pads without removing the caliper. Do you just compress the piston with a wood shim in place of the old pad and pull off the excess fluid?

Yep, you can do that. I remove the caliper, clean with soap/toothbrush/brake cleaner and then push the pistons in with plumbing pliers.

Mark

Yep, you can do that. I remove the caliper, clean with soap/toothbrush/brake cleaner and then push the pistons in with plumbing pliers.

Mark

+1!!! Those pistons need cleaned before pushing them in past the seals... Makes for a much better brake! :thumbs up:

Thanks for the info guys. Sintered pads are a metallic blend , right? How do I know if I need sintered or non-sintered?

Thanks for the info guys. Sintered pads are a metallic blend , right? How do I know if I need sintered or non-sintered?

EBC HH pads all the way! I have them on my Max and my SV and they are the bomb!

They eat the rotor less than stock and offer MUCH better braking.:thumbs up:

EBC HH pads all the way! I have them on my Max and my SV and they are the bomb!

They eat the rotor less than stock and offer MUCH better braking.:thumbs up:

hey 4gasem, it seems your avatar is a pic of my next ex-wife. great shot, maybe even the next cover of the v boost?

later odieoh24

I noticed the rear caliper has 2 bleed screws, do I bleed from both or one at a time?

I have a two part question on the rear brakes. One. The pedel has a lot of travel in it. The bike has 2,300 miles on it. I went to the show room and tested an 2007 and it was the same. What is the mod to correct this if any. I need less travel. Part two. The retaining clip over the rear pads is loose, what is it for? I'm the cause , instead of reading the manual I pried it out to look at the pads put it back in and bent the tab back in place but as I said it is loose now. Will they chatter, squeek, or what if any thing? Thanks for any help.

I have a two part question on the rear brakes. One. The pedel has a lot of travel in it. The bike has 2,300 miles on it. I went to the show room and tested an 2007 and it was the same. What is the mod to correct this if any. I need less travel. Part two. The retaining clip over the rear pads is loose, what is it for? I'm the cause , instead of reading the manual I pried it out to look at the pads put it back in and bent the tab back in place but as I said it is loose now. Will they chatter, squeek, or what if any thing? Thanks for any help.

I believe the clip IS to keep everything quiet and free of chatter. You can just replace it with new or try bending it back some. It should fit tight.

I replaced the brake line with a Galfer stainless one and the pedal feel is tighter but not much. My SV has very little movement but the arm is also 7 inches shorter I bet so that stands to reason. Getting on the Vmax after being on the SV takes some getting used to... The rear brake on the Max is amazing though. The rotor is huge compared to the SVs'.

Here's my brake pad question...
Is it normal that the left side pad on my rear caliper wears twice as fast as the left? Also went to change them both and the right side piston will not go back in all the way, and i have tryed everything i got and only moved it half way:bang head:
Any suggestions?

Here's my brake pad question...
Is it normal that the left side pad on my rear caliper wears twice as fast as the left? Also went to change them both and the right side piston will not go back in all the way, and i have tryed everything i got and only moved it half way:bang head:
Any suggestions?

If you get crust on the piston it will keep it from going back in. When it can't retract it will wear on the rotor. Pump out the pistons (slowly) so that you can get a tooth brush and brake clean (non-chlorinated) and scrub them clean. That should fix them up. Make sure no rust is on them. Oh and don't pump them out too far...

G-Luck
Chris

Back