rear brake pad wear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

113s&s

Reaction score
taking of top inspection cover i notice the outer pad looked thick and the inner pad was half as thick is this normal....thanks 06 4500 miles

Either your outer piston is sticking or inboard pad is dragging. Make sure caliper is centered on rotor and rotor isn't warped.

Either your outer piston is sticking or inboard pad is dragging. Makeusure caliper is centered on rotor and rotor isn't warped.
thanks for info it under warranty ....they can deal with it ... wanted to make sure i knew for sure it wasnt nornal...thats why i get a howel from time to time when braking

I notice this with mine also
I just remove the pins compress the caliper and swap inner with outter pads done deal inabout 10 mins
I guess you can remove the caliper and take a chance with rebuilding the seals and pistons but its your call

I notice this with mine also
I just remove the pins compress the caliper and swap inner with outter pads done deal inabout 10 mins
I guess you can remove the caliper and take a chance with rebuilding the seals and pistons but its your call
thanks for that info buddy think ill give it a try ... i really hate bringing bike to the dealer....could or would air in the outer piston cause this also

thanks for that info buddy think ill give it a try ... i really hate bringing bike to the dealer....could or would air in the outer piston cause this also

To be honest SS I dont think so since I have bled my brakes numerous times and to this day it always wears the rear pads uneven
I try not to dig into things to much if its a simple fix
Just swap them around takes about 10 mins

Do the rear brakes seem to stop you ok is there any issues such as noise or is it just the uneven wear

To be honest SS I dont think so since I have bled my brakes numerous times and to this day it always wears the rear pads uneven
I try not to dig into things to much if its a simple fix
Just swap them around takes about 10 mins

Do the rear brakes seem to stop you ok is there any issues such as noise or is it just the uneven wear
get a howel sound once in a while not a squeek or scrape a dry howel that can be loud dont happen all the time maybe once or twice a ride

I always got a howl on my rear brake when using stock pads. It went away when I switched to EBC HH's.

I always got a howl on my rear brake when using stock pads. It went away when I switched to EBC HH's.

thank for all the info...called shop today over phone guy at desk said..sounds like it need a rebuild :ummm: said well what ever it need if fine with me.id rather they just tell me all if fine buy a set of pads and just use one save the other for next year...ill let you know what they come up with.....is it common for a lot of pressure to be applyed for read wheel to lock up

Yeah I guess you can lock up the rear wheel. I adjust both my front and rear brake lever travel to almost lock up at its max braking action to prevent any wheel lock ups in an emercency.

I cant wait till the 09 comes out front and rear antilock brakes are going to be the shit!

I just happened to check the brakes on my 06 Vmax yesterday the rears are wearing evenly. Plus plenty of brake left after 9600 miles front and rear.

I just happened to check the brakes on my 06 Vmax yesterday the rears are wearing evenly. Plus plenty of brake left after 9600 miles front and rear.

just got back from the shop...checked everything out said all looked good...normal for pads to wear like that...(YA right) mine lasted 4600 miles..one side look great ....mech said one of the cotter pins was out wedged between pad and caliber ..do the pads myself for now on.....service rep said yamaha dont care if they wear uneven as long as the calipers are working.....2strange dont piss me off :clapping:

Back