replacement fork o-rings?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoNat

Reaction score
has anyone found replacement o-rings for the pressure equalization tube on the front fork besides the stock factory item? the lowest price i find for those is about 7.50 ea and need 4. ridiculous. does anyone know the dimensions so i can grab some from a NAPA store or something? :ummm:

Not sure on the sizes but I'm sure you can find a replacement if you take em with you. I found a hardware store up the road from my house that stocks metric o-rings, stainless bolts, chrome bolts, and even some black painted screws/bolts. I was never in the place till 2 weeks ago. Its only about 10 minutes from home too.

Lots of guys step up to a better fork spring from progressive or racetech. You can get progressive springs with a lowering kit for around $100 shipped from Sean Morley or Python. Without the lowering kit I think its around $80 shipped. When you run this setup most guys eliminate the crossover tube by welding, jb welding, or epoxying the holes on the fork tubes closed and toss the crossover tube and do not run any air in the fork.

Just changing out the springs and oil is very simple. Lowering internally is a bit more challenging but by no means hard.

any chance that's a chain store i may have here? progressive spring spending is going to have to wait til next year... wife isn't happy with what i've been spending this year already lol

oh, and Brian, thanks for the direct location links, but i fooled you... I'm in CO but still have the MI plate on the bike in the pics :eusa_dance:

oh, and a Fastenal right down the street from me... had no clue lol

oh, and Brian, thanks for the direct location links, but i fooled you... I'm in CO but still have the MI plate on the bike in the pics :eusa_dance:

oh, and a Fastenal right down the street from me... had no clue lol
Ha Ha yeah you had me fooled, but it's all good! I have family in Colorado Springs!:biglaugh:

any chance that's a chain store i may have here? progressive spring spending is going to have to wait til next year... wife isn't happy with what i've been spending this year already lol

No, it was a little ma 'n pa shop. Had lots of stuff though. I'd say McMaster Carr but by the time you pay shipping it would probably be a wash.

Lots of guys step up to a better fork spring from progressive or racetech. You can get progressive springs with a lowering kit for around $100 shipped from Sean Morley or Python. Without the lowering kit I think its around $80 shipped. When you run this setup most guys eliminate the crossover tube by welding, jb welding, or epoxying the holes on the fork tubes closed and toss the crossover tube and do not run any air in the fork.

what is the crossover tube????

thanks,
sid

I'm pretty sure if you go to any hardware store like Ace that sells o-rings, you'll be able to find something suitable.

TBH, most people do not bother with air in the forks (hard to get the right - and very low - pressure) as it doesn't make much of a difference, so a spot of welding on the holes, or even a good clean (de-grease is a must) and a bit of JB Weld seals them for good and you can forget about them.

Also allows you to drop the front of the bike a bit if desired, by going up with the fork tubes by about an inch in the trees.

I'm pretty sure if you go to any hardware store like Ace that sells o-rings, you'll be able to find something suitable.

TBH, most people do not bother with air in the forks (hard to get the right - and very low - pressure) as it doesn't make much of a difference, so a spot of welding on the holes, or even a good clean (de-grease is a must) and a bit of JB Weld seals them for good and you can forget about them.

Also allows you to drop the front of the bike a bit if desired, by going up with the fork tubes by about an inch in the trees.

can i do this safely without adding progressive springs?

and sealing the holes does probably add some more pressure during compression of the forks than just the leaky o-rings, i would imagine...:confused2:

I don't think the stock springs will be stout enough to do that w/o having the fender hit the radiator. I would look at getting some Progressive or Race Tech springs as they will help improve braking/ handling/ ride.

If it's not lowered the stock springs will work fine. We have a fairly reasonable price on progressives if you so chose that route. (see our website for more info).

Sean

Planning to remove the air valve control soon.
Already got a long time ago progressive springs and I have the ricor to install.
Safe to drop 1 inch in the triple tree with that setup ?

If it's not lowered the stock springs will work fine. We have a fairly reasonable price on progressives if you so chose that route. (see our website for more info).

Sean

meaning its ok to seal off the holes and just not drop the clamps lower on the tubes? can push it to stops now, but that's with no pressure hold on the o-rings, obviously.

just looking for a confirmation, Sean :worthy:

i'm smarter than i look, but sometimes too eager for my own good! :punk:

Planning to remove the air valve control soon.
Already got a long time ago progressive springs and I have the ricor to install.
Safe to drop 1 inch in the triple tree with that setup ?
Yes, as you probably have already noticed that the front end doesn't dive like the stock spring used too. I have my forks lowered 2" with a progressive lowering kit and it doesn't hit.

meaning its ok to seal off the holes and just not drop the clamps lower on the tubes? can push it to stops now, but that's with no pressure hold on the o-rings, obviously.

just looking for a confirmation, Sean :worthy:

i'm smarter than i look, but sometimes too eager for my own good! :punk:
Yes, you would most likely have trouble if you lower much more than 1" with stock springs. My '92's were way too soft and would bottom under hard braking, but not any longer with the installation of Progressive springs.

Nat ,
Neither is my wife but oh freekin' well! I vowed to get mine done this year. It has been in pcs for 5 yrs this winter... uhg But it is all new the rubber, hoses, seat, cables, brakes etc... I hope it rides well for all the $ I spent over the last 5 yrs :eusa_dance:

Gannon

Latest posts

Back