Rider Down...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 773

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it.... Just got the wife's V45 back on the road and some cager on his cell phone ran her off the road this morning on her way to work...

Thankfully, she was wearing full gear and is just shaken up and bruised a little. The bike, on the other hand, needs some TLC...

It looks like she hit the curb at about a 45 degree angle and torqued the front wheel pretty hard.

Both lower fork tubes snapped at the fork brace attachements. Upper tubes appear ok, as does the front wheel and axle. Steerng head bearings appear to be intact and frame appears undamaged.

Notice I say "appear" alot... What specific things do I need to triple check once I have replaced the lower forks (found on eBay about an hour ago)?

I want to make sure the thing is 100% road ready before she "gets back on the horse"...

Thanks in advance for any and all well wishes and/or advice.

You all ROCK!!!!!!

\m/ DS

Last edited:
Wouldn't you know it.... Just got the wife's V45 back on the road and some cager on his cell phone ran her off the road this morning on her way to work...

Thankfully, she was wearing full gear and is just shaken up and bruised a little. The bike, on the other hand, needs some TLC...

It looks like she hit the curb at about a 45 degree angle and torqued the front wheel pretty hard.

Both lower fork tubes snapped at the fork brace attachements. Upper tubes appear ok, as does the front wheel and axle. Steerng head bearings appear to be intact and frame appears undamaged.

Notice I say "appear" alot... What specific things do I need to triple check once I have replaced the lower forks (found on eBay about an hour ago)?

I want to make sure the thing is 100% road ready before she "gets back on the horse"...

Thanks in advance for any and all well wishes and/or advice.

You all ROCK!!!!!!

\m/ DS

That really sucks Hopejam!!! I can't help you with parts or info but I'm sure glad your wife is ok.

danny

Glad she's OK. Glad she was in gear. I once came off an XS650 on a wet road at about 35 and was glad I had all of my gear on. Survived with just an elbow scratch and nothing else.

Dang drivers up in your neck of the woods...... And dang cell phones too..... can't tell you how many times the "cell phone near miss" has happened to me.

Most of the time the triples will be fine other then they like to break off the stops (which keep them from rotating too far). I have repaired both triples and fork lowers. We weld up material to them and reshape and redrill the holes. When it's done I usually recommend either paint or powdercoat as polish and chrome don't always look good.

If you can get ebay parts that's even better. You'll know if the triples are bad when you try to slide in new fork tubes if you replace them (which they bend easily - feel them where they were clamped into the tree for dips or imperfections - they should be perfectly smooth).

The wheel is probably bent too but can be straightened for under $100 in most cases.

Sean

Most of the time the triples will be fine other then they like to break off the stops (which keep them from rotating too far). I have repaired both triples and fork lowers. We weld up material to them and reshape and redrill the holes. When it's done I usually recommend either paint or powdercoat as polish and chrome don't always look good.

If you can get ebay parts that's even better. You'll know if the triples are bad when you try to slide in new fork tubes if you replace them (which they bend easily - feel them where they were clamped into the tree for dips or imperfections - they should be perfectly smooth).

The wheel is probably bent too but can be straightened for under $100 in most cases.

Sean

Thanks Sean.

Barring a bent wheel, I was lucky enough to find the entire front section (triples, bearings, forks, and axle) for $100.

I actually rode the thing home after checking the wheel for rotation, the brakes for function, and realigning things the best I could. I'm hopeful that I will have all I need for the repairs.

If, however, I find myself in need, I won't hesitate to employ your expertice.

\m/ DS

Thanks to all for the well wishes. I suspect she may feel worse before she feels better (once the shock and adrenaline wear off), but I am very grateful that things turned out as well as they did.

\m/ DS

Thank God your wife is OK! Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I hope she heals quick and gets back on her bike soon. :cheers:

Sorry to hear about the accident but happy your wife escaped major injuries!

Glad to hear she is ok. Also glad to hear she is ready to get back up. Sounds like you got a good one.

Once you have the front end back on, lay a straight edge along the rear wheel and check the off-set both front and rear of the front wheel. that will tell you if the wheels are in alignment. A long straight 2x4 works pretty well. If you have different measurements, check the neck, it may have twisted a little.
Good luck
FW

Hey Hobe, I'm just up by Ogden, I got tools, Garage whatever you might need. I'm not much of a mechanic myself, but I can turn a wrench if you point to the nut! Glad she's ok.
Dustin.

Sorry to hear this but glad she came out of it OK.

Did the jack in the box stop and help? :damn angry:

First mod when back together is louder pipes!

Cheers

Again, thanks to all well wishers! :clapping:

As expected, the wife is quite stiff and sore today, but still appears to have escaped major injury (not a scratch on her helmet)...

Cager that ran her off the road by coming into her lane unannounced kept right on going (his vison and hearing, no doubt, obscured by the fucking phone glued to his left ear)...

Motorists behind her stopped and helped right her and the bike.

Her V45 actually has after market pipes that make her little 750 sound meaner than my Max... :bang head: I really need to change that...

I don't know HOW MANY times I have wished I had a steel baseball bat with me to remind drivers that they are invading my space.

Unfortunately, here in the land of Zion (Utah) we recently had an incident in which a guy and his wife were riding (each on their own bike) and had picked up their 9yo from some event or another and dad had given him his helmet to wear on the way home.

Cager in front of them flicked a still birning cigarette out the window which promptly landed in the dad's lap. Needless to say he was a bit irked... Unfortunately, when he pulled up along side the teen driver in the car to let them know what he thought of her, the driver freaked, swerved, and hit the guy sending he and his son flying... 9yo is fine. Dad is in a coma.

I hope there is a special place in hell for drivers that hurt, maime, or kill motorcyclists due to their negligence or recklessness. We riders don't stand a chance against them....

Rock On - Ride Safe

\m/ DS

GLAD SHE'S "OK" , GOOD THING THE GUY DID'NT STOP ! TO BAD WE COULD HAVE KILLED HIM ! :th_biggun::icon_axe::gun shoot::hammer bash:

Again, thanks to all well wishers! :clapping:

As expected, the wife is quite stiff and sore today, but still appears to have escaped major injury (not a scratch on her helmet)...

Cager that ran her off the road by coming into her lane unannounced kept right on going (his vison and hearing, no doubt, obscured by the fucking phone glued to his left ear)...

Motorists behind her stopped and helped right her and the bike.

Her V45 actually has after market pipes that make her little 750 sound meaner than my Max... :bang head: I really need to change that...

I don't know HOW MANY times I have wished I had a steel baseball bat with me to remind drivers that they are invading my space.

Unfortunately, here in the land of Zion (Utah) we recently had an incident in which a guy and his wife were riding (each on their own bike) and had picked up their 9yo from some event or another and dad had given him his helmet to wear on the way home.

Cager in front of them flicked a still birning cigarette out the window which promptly landed in the dad's lap. Needless to say he was a bit irked... Unfortunately, when he pulled up along side the teen driver in the car to let them know what he thought of her, the driver freaked, swerved, and hit the guy sending he and his son flying... 9yo is fine. Dad is in a coma.

I hope there is a special place in hell for drivers that hurt, maime, or kill motorcyclists due to their negligence or recklessness. We riders don't stand a chance against them....

Rock On - Ride Safe

\m/ DS

Too bad the motorists who were behind your wife did not see the license plate number, vehicle description, etc. Cell phones are a bad deal. I've had an almost identical experience not very long ago. I was on a 2 lane road on the inside lane. The outer lane merges into the inner lane. Some van comes up on the outside lane and tries to force me out of the way. I'm laying on the horn and cranking open the throttle to get out of the way. To quote Napoleon Dynamite, "FREAKING IDIOT!"

Cagers blow through intersections down here all the time, especially 4 way stops. Nearly always while talking on the cell phone.

Back