Rolling burnouts and tires....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Well lately a discussion of rolling burnouts has been a topic between a few of us. Seeing some peoplebe able to roll one out and others not ( myself included ) I watched what they were doing.

My first thought was tires. I ve had my Shinko on for almost 4500 miles now. Its sticky, plenty sticky without even warming it up, it bites good. My original Dunlop tire was sticky once you got it warm to a point, after that it seemed to get a little slick. You had to really warm it up.

Anyways...... I purchased a second Vmax recently and it has hard touring like tires on it ( Dunlop 404's ). I could easily light that tire up from a roll, enough to make the bike get sideways pretty good. From a dead stand still it was useless, it would just ignite and spin till I let off.

I just took it for a ride right now and ripped off a 150 ft rolling throttle rip, no brakes, no rolling burnout, just a rip into the throttle hard from 10 mph and it lite up and went crazy. While it was fun to play with, I don't think I would give up my Shinko.

I can't light up my Shinko like that no matter how hard I try. It will either spin for about 5 feet, catch and the front end lofts, or I take off like a fighter jet. The only way the Shinko lights up is if I do a burnout and its hard to get it to spin from a dead stand still without it pushing the front wheel hard. Doing it at the track with a burn box is obviously easy.

So anyways..... my point..... I realize that the tire is a major point in the tire spinning I see. I believe that the Shinko's will stick ALOT better then most any tire on the Vmax in stock wheel sizes.

If you want the best sticky tire, try a Shinko out, if you want to impress the girls and squids get a hard touring tire like the Dunlop 404 and smoke away.

I am almost thinking that I might get a spare wheel and mount a hard tire on it for a few rides a year. That way I can play with the other guys and smoke a little:biglaugh:

The other thing I came back to was stock bars. How twitchy they made the bike feel. I would never give up my drag bars. It makes the bike handle so much better. HUGE difference they made, thats for sure. The whole bike was more comfortable with the drag bars on it. It felt predictable and safe, the stock bars felt twitchy and unnerving to me.

Todd

I 100% agree on the difference in your choice of Tires.
With Shinko TM 230's, I have a hard time even getting the tire to spin.
With the OEM Dunlops, BridgeStones and just about any other Tire, I could Spin it any time I wanted and sometimes when I didn't want to.
I personally prefer the Sticky Shinko because it feels 100% more planted when hiting the twisties hard.
As for the Bars, I like the Stock Bars because they fit me well, I'm 6'1" and the Drag Bars make me lean forward more than I like to.

When I had the avon venom on my bike, I could just give it a crank in first, light it up, and keep it lit up to the top of third gear, modulating the throttle so the engine didn't just fly into the red zone, the mirrors showing a nice trail of smoke.

I was also behind a slow car doing like 50 once, cruising along in fifth. Kicked it to third and snapped the gas/clutch simultaneously and the piece of shit spun out too.

Note that was with a Venture diff also, never touching the front brake.

Also, on one of those 80mph burnouts, a chunk of the tread about 1" wide by maybe 1/4" deep simply flung off the tread. Noticed it at the next stop there was a chunk missing from the tire.

And that, is why I don't like avons.

With the ME880 an aggressive roll on in first would smoke it, but the 1-2 shift tended to loft the front wheel a tad and from there it would always hold.

Using the brakes for a burnout is cheating. A Rebel 250 will do a big smoky burnout if you hold the brake on. Big deal.

I had a Avon venom on my first max and it wouldn't spin,or it would spin about 3ft then hook very hard.the max I have now has a bridgestone if I remember correctly and it will spin 9 times outta 10.I rolled thru a puddle with Avon about 5-10mph to get tire wet and hit it,4' spin then hooked so hard my left hand came off the bars like a cowboy on a bull.lol

lol... great topic. ive found the best traction from a metz is cold. if you heat it up i find its super greasy. lays rubber well into second if you do a short burnout on it. gives you 10 to 20 ft into second if its cold

maybe im fat... lol

i agree with getting a second tire and rim for fun days...

peace,
evan...

Road surfaces and temperature play into this too........I can do 1st gear rollers all day long but can't get the 2nd gear ones to save my azz, the Dunlop just hooks and lifts the front, I'll be trying a Metz this weekend as I bought an extra set of wheels and it was already on there, this will be the only change to the setup................I'll report back...................Tom.

Road surfaces and temperature play into this too........I can do 1st gear rollers all day long but can't get the 2nd gear ones to save my azz, the Dunlop just hooks and lifts the front, I'll be trying a Metz this weekend as I bought an extra set of wheels and it was already on there, this will be the only change to the setup................I'll report back...................Tom.

Should be cooler this weekend. that will make the tire want to slip more and give the engines all the air they can take. I think we will see some cool burns Sunday. Wish I had one of those go pro cameras! Somehow I think we will have a couple along. :clapping:

I ran Shinkos and Venture pumpkin on my '86 and the only way to smoke it was from standstill with the front brake on. But I did love my Shinkos - great grip even in the wet and with all that weight. First time I rode with a D404 after my Shinko was toast I crashed in the first (low speed) turn I made. Never again.

I must be missing something,,,,in 22,000 miles I have never even attempted these Holigan moves,,,just a wus I guess.

O

I've done a few "cheater" burnouts but never could get the Shinko 170 to break loose into a rolling burnout, it would just launch or try to lift the front end. I have stock lenght shocks and my front end dropped 2" so that explains it reluctance to wheelie, maybe it's that I weigh 280 lbs coupled with the 170's grip that's why it just wanted to launch.
So now I have a 3" longer swingarm, radial Shinko Verge tires I thinking I will still be stuck doing "cheater" burnouts. OH well, I'll just be saving money for more mods so I can break the grip the tire have on the pavement, a fair trade off I guess.

If your running hard tires you can smoke them easy like Todd said... As far as using the front brake being cheating, if you have a soft tire that's the only way its gonna happen so its not cheating at all...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I have Metzler's on both Max's. 170 on the 94 and 150 on the 89. I run 34-36 lbs in the rear of both. The 94 refuses to smoke from a roll. The 89 will smoke the tire from a 15-20 mph roll in first. It's hard to stay on the throttle, the bike drifts to the right bad. Second gear from 25-30 is more controllable. The rear drifts but only slightly. :clapping:

I do both gears for the bike shop down the street. Love to watch them run outside to see what the Hell bike it is...:rofl_200:

Sometimes the Max will kick out hard to the right to the point I have to get out of it and sometimes it goes pretty straight with a nice sweeper, don't know why, I'm mindfull of road crown and other conditions, We'll see if the Metz acts differently......................Tom.

I can only agree about the kicking hard. The latest bike I thought I was going to dump because it kicked hard.

I ride my stuff hard, regardless of what it is, and can only say the reason I didn't dump it is because I prepared myself for it ahead of time. I set myself up in a good area and situated myself in the seat for what would give me good control. Other wise I guarantee the bike would have went down.

So for you guys going from something like a Shinko to a hard tire to play with, becareful because its like riding on ice if your not careful. One moment things will be jolly and fine, next you'll be picking gravel our your ass.

Todd

I got a metzler 880 (170/80-15)
i cant break it free on a rollie..just wants to lift the front and rip the bars outa my hands.
then again, maybe cuz im runnin on 3 cylinders..hmm. :(

Your rolling speed has a lot to do with things too, I usually lite off a roller at 10mph or less, when I want to lift the front I will do so at 20+ mph, amount of throttle and clutch release are factors too, you just have to find what works with you and your Max........Practice!.........And it does help to be running on all 4 cyls!...........:biglaugh:...........Tom.

So..rollies are impressive.
Im wondering how bad it is for the clutch..and other bits?
i mean..im assuming its prolly worse for the clutch to ride it part way out, rather.than bangin it out and breakin the tire free?.. expert opinions?..

I'm certainly no expert, but any kind of abuse isn't good on your Max, but as far as a roller, the initial shock of a quick clutch release to the trans and drivetrain is the worst part, once the tire starts spinning there's not much load at all, I get my speed where I want it and ride the clutch slightly, make sure I'm straight and surroundings look good, I pull it in slightly run it up to 6k or so and snap the clutch open while rolling on the throttle.........Smoke show every time!...........:punk:..............Tom.

As others have already stated. Tire choice makes a big difference. I could smoke the stock tires easy, But the Shinko's are just so grippy, they really like to hook up.

So..rollies are impressive.
Im wondering how bad it is for the clutch..and other bits?
i mean..im assuming its prolly worse for the clutch to ride it part way out, rather.than bangin it out and breakin the tire free?.. expert opinions?..

MINE STLL WORKS:biglaugh:, and I belive you saw some of my 30 mph + smokers

Back