Scratch on Carbon Fiber tank - Can it be fixed?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evenhanded

Reaction score
I'm pissed - my stupid tank bag that I rarely used put two HUGE scratches (ok not that big) on the side of my tank. Can it be buffed out? How expensive are they to replace? Not that deep but deep enough you can feel it with your fingers...

The 1999-2002 Carbon Fiber bikes are done with a sticker. If it's through the clear coat you are screwed. If not you might be able to add some clear touchup to it.

Sean

I'm pissed - my stupid tank bag that I rarely used put two HUGE scratches (ok not that big) on the side of my tank. Can it be buffed out? How expensive are they to replace? Not that deep but deep enough you can feel it with your fingers...
If u can post a photo of the damage,it could help us help u....Yamaha wants over $500 bucks for a replacement

Keep an eye on ebay also...I picked up an '06 with flames, in perfect condition for less than $100! I have seen C/F faux's there also.

This is probably too late for this solution but maybe not! For all of you that use tank bags or perhaps have the chance of scratching the tank, or even abrasion marks from you pant legs over time. Go find an installer who puts on 3m Scotchgard paint protection. It is like a "clear bra" material that they use on the front of cars. Only settle for 3M otherwise you will be pissed off later. What it is , is a clear plastic that is kinda like contact paper per say. They put it on the front of cars to protect them from rock chips. I have it on my old 58 VW pick-up I restored yrs ago. I use it on my cell phone to protect the screen and my Ipod touch. When I first used it on my cell phone it was very hard to see through. We put that stuff on there and it cleared the screen right back up. If it starts getting those small scratches in it , like the black cars get that swirl mark from just cleaning them. You just take straight rubbing alchol and give it a little spray , let it set for 10 - 15 seconds then wipe it clean. The alchol kinda melts it smooth again. It is some wicked stuff. We just put it on the bottom side of a kayak. Just to give an idea how awesome it is! There was a customers of my wife that had a BMW Z3 or 4. It was on the hood about 18" strip across the front . The customer had came out from shopping and noticed that someone with a hitch on their truck had backed right over the hood with the hitch. It just wadded that paint proection up and followed the hitch up the hood. lucky for them there was no dent and when the paint protection was removed there was not even a scratch! Replaced the paint protection and off they went. We have been told that originally 3M made this stuff for the leading edge of the rotor blades on the helecopters for the military. I swear by this stuff it is awesome! In my work truck I was starting to wear the paint off of the door sill from all the mud and dirt on my boots, dragging in and out. It has been over that area for almost 6 yrs and is still holding up from my dragging of mud and dirt over the door sill. You should try and locate it in your area. I am guessing to do a tank where your legs would rub or as much of the tank as they could ( due to the fact of the tight curves). I am guessing $15 - $45 depending on how much you wanted them to do. This stuff :punk:ROCKS:punk:
Gannon

This is probably too late for this solution but maybe not! For all of you that use tank bags or perhaps have the chance of scratching the tank, or even abrasion marks from you pant legs over time. Go find an installer who puts on 3m Scotchgard paint protection. It is like a "clear bra" material that they use on the front of cars. Only settle for 3M otherwise you will be pissed off later. What it is , is a clear plastic that is kinda like contact paper per say. They put it on the front of cars to protect them from rock chips. I have it on my old 58 VW pick-up I restored yrs ago. I use it on my cell phone to protect the screen and my Ipod touch. When I first used it on my cell phone it was very hard to see through. We put that stuff on there and it cleared the screen right back up. If it starts getting those small scratches in it , like the black cars get that swirl mark from just cleaning them. You just take straight rubbing alchol and give it a little spray , let it set for 10 - 15 seconds then wipe it clean. The alchol kinda melts it smooth again. It is some wicked stuff. We just put it on the bottom side of a kayak. Just to give an idea how awesome it is! There was a customers of my wife that had a BMW Z3 or 4. It was on the hood about 18" strip across the front . The customer had came out from shopping and noticed that someone with a hitch on their truck had backed right over the hood with the hitch. It just wadded that paint proection up and followed the hitch up the hood. lucky for them there was no dent and when the paint protection was removed there was not even a scratch! Replaced the paint protection and off they went. We have been told that originally 3M made this stuff for the leading edge of the rotor blades on the helecopters for the military. I swear by this stuff it is awesome! In my work truck I was starting to wear the paint off of the door sill from all the mud and dirt on my boots, dragging in and out. It has been over that area for almost 6 yrs and is still holding up from my dragging of mud and dirt over the door sill. You should try and locate it in your area. I am guessing to do a tank where your legs would rub or as much of the tank as they could ( due to the fact of the tight curves). I am guessing $15 - $45 depending on how much you wanted them to do. This stuff :punk:ROCKS:punk:
Gannon
Excellant idea Gannon! How would it work for a headlight lens protector?

FYI the 2005 and up airbox covers with the flames all have stickers and not paint creating the look. Just like the faux CF parts. On my real CF parts, sand and clear it is all it takes. I had some delination of layers which I glued with CA (cyanuacralate) model airplane glue and clamped until dry. Good as new and strong too!

FYI the 2005 and up airbox covers with the flames all have stickers and not paint creating the look. Just like the faux CF parts. On my real CF parts, sand and clear it is all it takes. I had some delamination of layers which I wicked with CA glue, CA (cyanuacralate) model airplane glue and clamped until dry. Good as new and strong too!

Gannon

Gannon I think you mentioned this stuff before. How long does, or is it supposed to last?

If I run a tank bag on my Max I use blue painters tape to keep it like new...

That being said... I can remove some pretty amazing scratches with the tools in my arsenal but detailing is a hobby of mine and I do it A LOT!

Here's one of the bike taped up and a couple of our Enclave. Before and after.

Like anything... It's all about the tools... I have a clear bra on my G8 and I love it. They normally last about 5 years before they start to yellow.

Attachments

• DSC00545.jpg
    DSC00545.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 18
I appreciate all the input - i took it to the local bike customizer and he put some cream on it and then buffed 99% of it out. He polished up the whole thing and now it looks better than ever. All for $10. I am going to look into the covering though. Hey 4gasem what kind of grips do you have and do you like them?

Back