searched and searched with no results, any instructions on installing Mark's exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: searched and searched with no results, any instructions on installing Mark's exha

Brian,

Thanks for the pic's they will help a lot, now if I could just see pictures of how to attach the pipes to the bike I would be all set.......lol And what's with the spring? no mater if some think I don't need it I still would like to know what it;s for and where it goes..

Thanks
Ron

If you look at Brian's pic # 2 you can see the little nubs on the inlet pipe of the mufflers and corresponding nubs just behind the crossovers. The springs hook there I would guess and their purpose is to keep tension on the slip joint and allow for a tiny bit of flex.

Saying 'I would guess' cause I haven't gotten my pipes yet, but looking at the pictures....that's really the only place the springs could go.

When you take your old pipes off you will see how the Mark's pipes go on,
they all mount basically the same.

danny

Re: searched and searched with no results, any instructions on installing Mark's exha

If you look at Brian's pic # 2 you can see the little nubs on the inlet pipe of the mufflers and corresponding nubs just behind the crossovers. The springs hook there I would guess and their purpose is to keep tension on the slip joint and allow for a tiny bit of flex.

Saying 'I would guess' cause I haven't gotten my pipes yet, but looking at the pictures....that's really the only place the springs could go.

danny

Thanks to all of you I hope to get my pipes next week sometime...

danny
There are springs that secure all of the joints that connect the sections of pipes together. Here is a example of one connection with spring in place and a closeup of one ot the spring tabs:

Attachments

• 1 Mark's Exhaust installed april15.jpg
    1 Mark's Exhaust installed april15.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Marks not installed 6.jpg
    Marks not installed 6.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22

What holds the pipes together where they join ? are they just pressed in and that's it?

Ron

What holds the pipes together where they join ? are they just pressed in and that's it?

Ron
The pipes are precision fit right from Mark. I would say the "slip" together but it really takes some twisting and muscle to get them to seat all the way. The spring are just there as way to keep a constant pressure on the joint. I'm not sure if it shows but there are 2 springs, 180 degrees apart on the joints. I had no worries about exhaust leaks after I started putting it together they fit TIGHT! The tight fitting joints along with the header bolts and foot peg mounts, it is one securely mounted system! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

The pipes are precision fit right from Mark. I would say the "slip" together but it really takes some twisting and muscle to get them to seat all the way. The spring are just there as way to keep a constant pressure on the joint. I'm not sure if it shows but there are 2 springs, 180 degrees apart on the joints. I had no worries about exhaust leaks after I started putting it together they fit TIGHT! The tight fitting joints along with the header bolts and foot peg mounts, it is one securely mounted system! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

So from the looks of your pictures the only places that attach to the bike are the header bolts and the exhaust mounting holes in back of the foot pegs. I see your centerstand in the pic, I assume that is on just for the install of the pipes right? What size cans do you have?

Ron

So from the looks of your pictures the only places that attach to the bike are the header bolts and the exhaust mounting holes in back of the foot pegs.
That is correct.
I see your centerstand in the pic, I assume that is on just for the install of the pipes right?
I left the centerstand on in the very beginning but took it off after a couple of days. I didn't like the look and want to drop a few more pounds.
What size cans do you have?
I have the 12" cans with 2 1/4" openings that are aluminum skinned, not polished.

Ron
One more note, where the headers go into the collectors, there is only one spring per header going into the collector. One spring tab on each header and then a corresponding tab on the "Y" collector. Look at this picture at the top collector, you can just see the 2 spring tabs, one for each of the 2 header pipes going into that sides collector. There are 2 springs holding the cans to exhaust pipe.

Attachments

• Marks not installed 3.jpg
    Marks not installed 3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 14

Thanks again Brian, I might PM you when I get ready to install mine if I run into any unknowns, if you don't mind of course.

Do you know of any product to keep stainless looking good...

Ron

No problem Ron, PM me anytime and I'll do what I can to help you through the process. As far as keeping them looking like when you received them, that will be a constant battle. The golden hue has grown on me and it really looks kinda nice IMO. That being said, I'll probably do some work on them when I have them off this winter while working on painting the engine. It will mostly be to get all the road grime that I cannot easily reach while it's still on the bike. I will keep the cans cleaned up with metal polish in the meantime.

Back