Shinko Tire Information

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Shinko 170/80 15 Info needed..

Another +1 on the Shinkos. I have a 170/80 on the rear. No mods needed. In fact, I like it enough that I'm going to put off getting an 18" rim this winter.

I have a 120/90 that I haven't installed yet (waiting for the front tire to wear down). I know 44 says it'll work, but damn, that's a big looking piece of rubber.

Considering the price, the Shinkos have to be the best bang for the buck when buying tires for the Max.

It really sounds like it, also can't beat the prices!!!

Thanks everyone for the input... i'll let ya all know if i find a shruberry in there when i tear apart the rear-end....

I have a 120/90 that I haven't installed yet (waiting for the front tire to wear down). I know 44 says it'll work, but damn, that's a big looking piece of rubber.

It's such a nice tire; I really hope it'll work for your bike too Bro.

I put a 170 shinko on my bike two weeks ago. The dealer who did the work was skeptical, but it went on fine, and looks great. I took it to 135 bout a week later. No problem...

Dealers dont know shit! Bunch of nimrods with paper in a frame on there tool box..........
I bet if you look at your tire they didnt line the mark up with the valve stem.

There is a mark usually a triangle shape, this is where the valve stem should line up with, doesnt have to be but it makes it a little more balanced.

Dealers dont know shit! Bunch of nimrods with paper in a frame on there tool box..........
I bet if you look at your tire they didnt line the mark up with the valve stem.

There is a mark usually a triangle shape, this is where the valve stem should line up with, doesnt have to be but it makes it a little more balanced.

The tire manufacturer will place a red or yellow dot, or some other mark, to indicate the lightest point of the tire. That point should line up with the heaviest point of the rim, generally thought to be at the valve stem, which isn't always the case. The rim should be placed on a balancer to determine where the actual heavy point is and that point lined up with the lightest point of the tire.

Of course there's no chance in hell of finding a dealer who will go to all that trouble, but that's the right way to do it.

Also, be sure to check your rotational arrow too. They have a 50% chance of mounting it correctly but for some reason it only happens 23% of the time. :ummm:

The tire manufacturer will place a red or yellow dot, or some other mark, to indicate the lightest point of the tire. That point should line up with the heaviest point of the rim, generally thought to be at the valve stem, which isn't always the case. The rim should be placed on a balancer to determine where the actual heavy point is and that point lined up with the lightest point of the tire.

Of course there's no chance in hell of finding a dealer who will go to all that trouble, but that's the right way to do it.

Also, be sure to check your rotational arrow too. They have a 50% chance of mounting it correctly but for some reason it only happens 23% of the time. :ummm:

Well 99.9% of the time the heaviest part of the wheel is where the valve stem and well in my case valve cap due to its a skull and its heavy.
This Shinko tire I have on now is reversed, I didnt notice it to about 100 miles after the tire was mounted. It hooks just as well if not better than the other Shinkos I have had so I didnt take it back to take a chance on them fucking up the bead or my rim.

This Shinko tire I have on now is reversed, I didnt notice it to about 100 miles after the tire was mounted.

Lee, be careful in the rain, especially in turns! Looking at the thread pattern, it shouldn't make much of a difference in a straight line, but in turns the tire will aquaplane real easily as it will do the inverse of what it should be doing - draw water in rather than disperse it away! :confused2:

Honestly - take it back to the stealers - they must reverse it for you FOC as it's a serious safety issue. OTOH if you fancy a good retirement plan go hurt yourself in the wet and you'l have a fullproof lawsuit against them.. :bang head:

Well 99.9% of the time the heaviest part of the wheel is where the valve stem and well in my case valve cap due to its a skull and its heavy.
This Shinko tire I have on now is reversed, I didnt notice it to about 100 miles after the tire was mounted. It hooks just as well if not better than the other Shinkos I have had so I didnt take it back to take a chance on them fucking up the bead or my rim.

Absolutely correct, the valve stem usually is the heaviest part of the wheel. As you mentioned, the lightest/heaviest matchup thing is simply to reduce the amount of counter weights in final balance anyhow.

Somebody on here mentioned putting a large chalk arrow on the sidewall to help the "pimply faced kid" get it right. That sounds like a damn good idea to me! Being just a "short hauler" I very seldom get caught in the rain, so it prolly doesn't really make any dif which way my tires are turning. But if they aren't going the way they're SUPPOSED to go it irritates the SHIT out of me!! :bang head:

BTW, according to the tire grooves, Metzler front and back tires turn in the opposite direction, while Shinko's turn in the same direction. Why is that? :ummm:

Also write in chalk which side on the tire. (Drive side - Brake Side). Otherwise the arrow is useless.

Lee, be careful in the rain, especially in turns! Looking at the thread pattern, it shouldn't make much of a difference in a straight line, but in turns the tire will aquaplane real easily as it will do the inverse of what it should be doing - draw water in rather than disperse it away! :confused2:

Honestly - take it back to the stealers - they must reverse it for you FOC as it's a serious safety issue. OTOH if you fancy a good retirement plan go hurt yourself in the wet and you'l have a fullproof lawsuit against them.. :bang head:

Well, the tire has about 30 drag passes on it and about 10 street burnouts so its about 75% worn out. I wasnt doing much of a burnout last Friday night. I am going to race the last Friday night next week and thats going to be it for that tire..

Also write in chalk which side on the tire. (Drive side - Brake Side). Otherwise the arrow is useless.

I used to color the arrow. now I just mount the tire myself then run it over to the shop for a quick spin balance.

I like the Shinko 170/80-15 so far. It really is grippy and makes the front Bridgestone feel a little overwhelmed. 'Ole Redbone likes to dance (aka wobble) a little through the corners but I'm kinda used to it now.:confused2:
I need to get a better front tire (probably a Shinko 120), install a fork brace, replace steering head bearings this winter to stabilize the cornering limits a little more. The Dunlops and Bridgestones were just a little too squirrely for me.
Can anyone that has changed to Shinko's (frontt and back) relate their experiances of Shinko's vs old tires? Is spending the extra $$ on Metzlers would be worth the performance upgrade or do they just last longer?

metzler is harder rubber No grip Great for burn out

Redbone-I have Shinko's front and back, 110 & 170. I like them a lot, bike feels more "planted " in the corners than the Metzlers.

The front ME was pretty badly cupped though, so the Shinko damn well better be an improvement, right? :biglaugh:

Can anyone that has changed to Shinko's (frontt and back) relate their experiances of Shinko's vs old tires?

I can't speak for the ME's but I've had Bridgestones and Dunlops, now the Shinkos. I've had all three from edge to edge and didn't notice any difference in grip. As far as wear on the back tire... the Shinko's doing much better than the Bridgestones and Dunlops. Couple that with the decrease in cost means I'm in love. :)

sweeeet.. i'm excited to get those shinko's for next season!

my dunlop only lasted like 3k miles on the rear on my '94. No burnouts either.....

Yea that looks very wrong - and only to get a fatter tire? Makes no sense to me.

My Shinko rear 170 went in without any mod - wheel is as centered as with the original 150 and still has between 1/8 and 1/4 inch clearance between tire and driveshaft. I know it's not rubbing even at speed as there are no marks on the tire edge and the little rubber nipples are still intact!

I love my Shinkos they feel SO MUCH better than those crappy Dunlops..

Back