Snow!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're expecting a displaced Polar vortex to hit us next week, similar to the one that hit the US in November. temperatures between -15C and -10C are predicted (5F to 15F) where we would normally have only a handful of days just below freezing

Here's hoping all the forecasts are exaggerated

Up here in Alaska we have had almost no snow at all until this last weekend and it was just maybe 8 inches of light fluffy stuff that will blow away pretty soon, and right now just today it might be the coldest I've seen all winter, about minus 11, and then it's warming back up again, what it means is many an independent plow operation is starving, the snowmachine crowd is crying and the sled dog races are being moved further north, because of lack of snow.

So please ship some to Alaska!
But just don't panic, let it snow, keep warm, prepare for in case power goes out and don't kill yourself trying to move the snow too quickly. Good time to grab a good book, a warm friend, tv or Internet to keep yourself busy.
Living in Alaska for almost 23 years I get sorta used to our 6 months of winter, sorta, kinda.

The Cape is just dusted so far. It's wind damage that messes us up here.

Hang in there Steve...WBZ weather saying 65 - 85 mph gusts on the cape...:surprise:...kinda makes up for those beautiful 6 months of summer you only get on the cape , especially from Chatham on up to P-town...:worthy:

Damn , I miss the cape...:wave bye:

We don't get too much snow down here in Texas. We get ice storms then snow to cover it and fool northerners. You can tell who recently came here from the north by who is sitting in a ditch trying to figure out why their driving techniques did not work. Needless to say, nobody rides a motorcycle in that stuff.

I hope you got your bread and milk.
Hmm, When I work for a company HQ'd in San Antonio four of us from Michigan arrived in the midst of a ice storm. The company's shuttle bus driver was driving like 2 miles an hour so Darren took over and drove us the rest of the way to the corporate office. The driver was so frazzled and thanked Darren for driving. The problem with Southern roads is that they are designed to get rid of water and the freeways are all banked so when they ice they are bad roads to drive on. That and they have no equipment to spread sand, salt , rock chips or some sort of mixture thereof to get rid of the ice. Here in the U.P. we drive on for the most part hard pack snow that can be slippery but if you ride the "cushion" on the corners no need to slow down!

In a show of unbridled compassion this morning while thinking of all you snowbound northeastern guys, I made the extremely tough decision to break out my heavier gloves & coat and ride to work. I know, I know.....it was only 35 degrees out at the time, but the forecast here is for the lower 60's this afternoon, and it's only 6 miles or so to my work place. PLUS, how could I face my neighbors if they should ever ask me why I didn't ride to work today but they saw Shala had? I might come off as some sort of wimp if I didn't ride on a cool morning when she did, right? :hihi:

Please send some of that snow back over to Missouri.....it's been dry here lately, and....well, it is winter. snow.gif

I have had to add an undershirt to my long-sleeved dress shirt for work today, it's chilly. It's a good reason to pay-attention to staying warm to avoid 'goose-bumps.' Seriously, the power outages can be life-threatening in the snow belt, and I hope you guys are prepared for the duration.

Even we in south FL are affected by the snow blizzard:

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/1107/article/p2p-82632493/

Because of the massive storm in the Northeast, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport was continuing to experience "major impacts" to flight operations, officials said on Tuesday morning.

As of 7:30 a.m., there were 112 cancelled flights with at least 20 delayed flights, spokesman Greg Meyer said.

Additionally, airlines have parked 25 aircraft while they wait for the storm to pass.

On Tuesday morning, the snow was continuing to pound eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, eastern Connecticut and eastern Long Island, where accumulations could reach 2 feet.

Light snow was falling in New York City, which got about 7-10 inches of snow.

Boston remains virtually shut down, but places farther south are reopening, with New Jersey lifting a travel ban in the southern half of the state.

Bu Tuesday morning more than 30 flights had been canceled at Palm Beach International airport, according to Sun Sentinel news partner WPEC-Ch. 12

Miami International Airport reported 51 flight cancellations by Tuesday morning, officials said.

In anticipation of the storm, several airlines — including JetBlue, the busiest carrier at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood — began canceling flights days earlier.

JetBlue had canceled about a third of its entire schedule by Monday morning. The airline scratched 30 flights for Monday, 55 for Tuesday and 10 for Wednesday in Fort Lauderdale

The advance cancellations left fewer fliers stranded at airports trying to rebook flights Monday.

Others weren't so lucky.

College student Ray Melfour, 20, arrived at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood early Monday for an 8 a.m. JetBlue flight to Boston, on his way to Pittsburgh, only to learn it had been canceled. He got rebooked on a non-stop flight to Pittsburgh scheduled for 6 p.m.

"I didn't think it was going to cancel the flight," he said of the winter storm. "So I didn't check the flight before coming out."

Melfour, who spent his winter break with friends in Deerfield Beach, said he hoped his new flight departed on time so he could make classes on Tuesday.

Other passengers on flights to the Northeast were hopeful, too.

Cheryl Keamy was returning to Washington, D.C., after visiting family in South Florida. As much as she enjoyed the warmed weather, she was ready to go home.

"JetBlue is telling us it's going, and I certainly hope so," Keamy said. "But they said there's always a possibility it might not take off."

Early Monday, some travelers were trying to get out before the storm hit.

Manny Mo was flying out of Fort Lauderdale with his wife, Carla Garcia, and children Enlias, 2, and Isaiah, 9, after a two-week vacation in the sunshine.

He was a little worried about what awaits him back home in Rochester, NY.

"I am actually," he said. "I want to get home. I need to get home. I've got some dogs, got some family to take care of, got to get some money in my pocket."

Nationwide, 1,959 flights were delayed by 6 p.m. and 2,795 canceled, according to the flight-tracking website FlightAware.

United Airlines canceled all flights in Boston, New York and Philadelphia. About half of all flights out of New York's LaGuardia Airport were called off Monday

Most major airlines were allowing customers whose flights are canceled in the next few days to book new flights without paying a penalty. Customers ticketed on flights to dozens of Eastern airports are generally eligible for the allowance, though specific terms vary by airline.

Airlines advised travelers to check their flights before heading to the airport. To check the status of a flight, go to the Sun Sentinel's flight tracker.

Hotels were seeing some ripple effects Monday.

"We are getting cancellations now for tomorrow," said Thomas Miller, director of sales and marketing at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach, shortly after 3 p.m. New reservations for this week also weren't as strong as expected because of the impending storm.

We got lucky....it's still snowing hard, the wind chill is around -20° F and visibility is pretty bad but all in all it's very manageable...guessing we'll end up with a foot or so of snow, no big deal.

Thinking you guys out east might not be doing so well tho....hang in there! :punk:

We got lucky....it's still snowing hard, the wind chill is around -20° F and visibility is pretty bad but all in all it's very manageable...guessing we'll end up with a foot or so of snow, no big deal.

Thinking you guys out east might not be doing so well tho....hang in there! :punk:

Lucky you....we got robbed.............storm came in late, ended early and didn't snow at the rate they promised.......Historic storm my a$$.........

Lucky you....we got robbed.............storm came in late, ended early and didn't snow at the rate they promised.......Historic storm my a$$.........

Are you surprised? Maybe you should chalk this one up to media hype? Always attempting to sensationalize to the extreme in the never-ending quest for better ratings? :confused2:

Yer right in the gap man....go east or west a few miles and things are a bit different.....but overall, kinda a washout IMO.

Are you surprised? Maybe you should chalk this one up to media hype? Always attempting to sensationalize to the extreme in the never-ending quest for better ratings? :confused2:

Got that right Jim....Guv Blomo, mayor DeBlasio both on the tube saying get ready for something we never saw before.....HAH!

Understandable tho....Blomo's trying to shift attention from his Senate majority guy getting arrested....DeBlasio probly still pissed the NYPD turned their backs on him at the hospital.... :looser: :looser: :jerk it:

Nanny state exercising how to shut down a population quick and hard, the storm for whatever it was is just coincidence.

It looks like it's slowing down, or it's a lull i n the action. People on the Cape aren't going to be able to open their doors outward. Winds had to have been hurricane force. I don't think we got much more than 2' biut drifts are 4' judging from my buried wood pile. I'm getting ready to put my hooded Carheart jacket on and get out there soon.

It looks like it's slowing down, or it's a lull i n the action. People on the Cape aren't going to be able to open their doors outward. Winds had to have been hurricane force. I don't think we got much more than 2' biut drifts are 4' judging from my buried wood pile. I'm getting ready to put my hooded Carheart jacket on and get out there soon.

Hey Steve -
Building codes most everywhere specify that exterior doors must swing inward.
But it must be different on The Cape. Guess the folks there just swing differently.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that" - Jerry Seinfeld.
Cheers!

Back