Strange clutch issue?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Weird issue i found today. I have installed new lines and a new (fjr 14mm bore) master and see the following symptoms on the center stand:

bike is on. put it in first, clutch in, rear tire spins. put clutch out rear tire spins faster. it still spins at a pretty good clip with the clutch in (never did this before). so i push the brake in. it stops the tire and engine doesn't stall. if i let go of the brake the tire stays still. let the clutch out a tiny bit, tire starts to spin, and then if i take it pull it back in, it will stop. unless i go to about 1/2 way out or more, then it will only stop by pressing the brake, but as befor engine won't stall or anything..

does this sound like the slave is sticky or maybe its just been sitting for 3 months with no fluid in the lines for 1 month.

interested to hear thoughts.

talked to a guy whos been riding longer than i've been alive. he said as long as i can stop it with the clutch in and the engine doesn't stall or loose RPMs i'm good.

That's normal. Clutch plates sometimes stick together when cold and will do this.

the bike was decently warmed up, but i'm not worried.

good to hear. i was worried b/c it never did it before.

Yes, it is normal. Not sure why you didn't see it before?? Bearings too tight previously??

Yes, it is normal. Not sure why you didn't see it before?? Bearings too tight previously??

how would bearings have anything to do with it?

+1 Does seem odd you didn't notice it B 4. :ummm:

when i was having all the brake issues i know for a fact it wasn't happening before, did a lot of testing w/that.

the weight of the bike and you when its on its tires no movement but on the stand it will roll. The bearings being "tight" would just put enough pressure to hold it back, bet you can hold the clutch in and stop the tire with your foot.

oh oh wheel bearings. hmmm nah i doubt it i always torque the rear to spec. infact it might have been looser before (80-90 ft lbs instead of 110 ish), so if anything you'd expect it opposite.

when i was having all the brake issues i know for a fact it wasn't happening before, did a lot of testing w/that.

Could it be that the brake was dragging then and holding the wheel from turning? :confused2:

Takes very little to stop it, 'specially after the oil's warmed up.

Could it be that the brake was dragging then and holding the wheel from turning? :confused2:

Takes very little to stop it, 'specially after the oil's warmed up.

nah, brake rotor has always made a small amount noise against the pads but never binding. well once it did but it was fairly obvious.

friday mike. thanks again. think the little more brake lever travel before the brakes hit is normal? i wish it wasn't there b/c there is less room from the grip (which is nice, but not when it takes another 1/2" for it to engage)

also got the clutch switch going. just cut out the plastic that surrounded the prongs and attached some fuse blades with some heat shrink tubing and they all fit together great. wish there was a little more permanent way but we'll see if it holds

Back