The stupidity continues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
So in the beggining of the season I leaned out the needles on the bike a bit more trying to see if there was any improvement. Have noticed for a while that its exhibiting lean symptoms so I've had it in my head that I needed to get back into the carbs and lower the clips on needles. So last night went for a ride around 9:30 pm (rest of family was fast asleep)..Rode for a few hours and the lean symptoms were apparant but very slight. So when I got back at 12:30 am, I thought , shit , it should be a simple 30 minute exercise and if I dont do it now, who knows whent I'll get to it. So off came the tank and the scoops..One carb at a time, making good time. Then on number three, wasn't being as carefull as I should have been when I was taking off the clip off the needle. I was using a very small micro scewdriver to pry off the clip. As I was removing the clip I see it fly off the needle a few feet up into the air and I lost sight of it...F****.................Unfortunately it wasn't anywhere to be found on the workbench..This is where your mind plays tricks on you, ohhh, maybee its here, or noooo, maybe it flew into the bins on my bench..Shit, I had to empty every frigin bin on the bench. So now at this point I've spent more time looking for this dam clip than I've taken to adjust the carbs. 1:30 in morning I'm now on my hands and knees armed with a flashighti searching for this part..5 minutes on the floor and I finally found it ...Phewwww, thought I'd have to have the bike down for a few days until I could get a new clip...This called for a celebration and a cold beer was in order. Man was it humid out last night..Finished off the other two carbs, bolted everything back and took her for a ride. Pulls much harder now, think I got the midrange dialed in..I think :) So moral of the story , whatch those dam clips, there a bitch to find....

That's why I have spares! Glad you found yours. Building model airplanes I am working with tiny crap all the time and have cussed up a storm. I always consider it a moral victory when I find the missing part.

It's sure nice to hear that I'm not alone in having misadventures. Seems any project I take on turns into a Royal PITA. At times, I believe there are little Gremlins just waiting for every opportunity to FU Everything I do.

Congrats on success.....:biglaugh:

Definately not alone. Its Murphy's Law I tell ya. Ive done the same thing but I heard it land somewhere behind me far away. Never found it so I was done riding. I use a set of small needle nose vice grips now, and like Pat said, have spares.

I know just the feeling. I used to work on bikes and cars at a friend's who's drive was gravel.

Try and find anything on that...

yea had to clean out my carbs one year while we were on a run, well u know that tiny little o ring and washer in the air adj. screw droped the o ring, F^$$### :bang head: looked for hours thru the dirt, and gravel carry spares now, OH!! and an extra key also, but thats another story.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I slide the white plastic spacer off the pointy end of the needle and leave the 'E' clip in place......is this a bad thing to do? :confused2:

Just did a front brake job on wifey's Jeep Liberty.
I am fully aware of the term PITA! Specially on a friggen HOT day like today!
Off to the pool now!

I slide the white plastic spacer off the pointy end of the needle and leave the 'E' clip in place......is this a bad thing to do? :confused2:

Ummmm...CAPITOL YES!! Put those back in. And make double sure the little nipple on the ring finds its way down into the hole made for it inside the slide.

Ummmm...CAPITOL YES!! Put those back in. And make double sure the little nipple on the ring finds its way down into the hole made for it inside the slide.

Kenny, I wouldn't LEAVE THEM OFF!!! Of course, they go back on!! :rofl_200:

Just saying that's how I install a shim.....slide the plastic spacer off, slide the shim on, slide the plastic spacer back on!!

Then spin the needle till the little tit seats before tightening the plastic screw.

Nearly every time I work on the carbs I do something like that. I have learned to clear the work bench and floorspace around me because its inevitable that something will get dropped. The first time I tore into them I lost one of the o-rings. I gave up looking and found it a few hrs later on my way to the wash sink 10' away. I have a magnet on a retractable stick with a flashlight on the end that is very useful for locating dropped parts.

Twinkle, Twinkle, little part,
How I wonder where thou art.

I heard you hit the freakin’ ground,
with a *ping!* you rolled around.

I search for you, high and low,
but where you landed I don’t know.

Across the room or under boot,
To look some more would just be moot.

I know that you will soon be found,
when bare foot touches ground.

Latest posts

Back