The tire/tyre thread! Widest and best?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldwayray

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie and this is my first time post. What is the widest tire you can install on stock rear wheels?

I found the ff:
AVON AM42R VENOM X BW - 170/80H15 REAR
PIRELLI MT66-R 180/70-15

Will they fit?

Thanks

Re: Widest tire on stock rear wheel

I think Sean Morley has shoe horned a 180 on it but commented that it was a bad idea as well...

yea, it fit and worked but rode a little funny.

Sean

I put on a 170 Metzeler 880 just tonight. It clears the swing arm by 1/16 inch without resorting to the washer swap. It looks kinda funny because it's wider than the fender, but I can't see it when I'm riding. :biglaugh:

Any pictures?

Sean, which brand and model did you mount?

Thanks for all the replies.

No pics of the 180, It was a bridgestone if I remember correctly. Bought it in Daytona in 2002 bikeweek when we were going through tires every other day!

Sean

I've run a 180/70-15 ME880 and it fit fine.

It really didn't give any more width than a 170 'cause the stock rim pulls i the sidewalls in so much.

It was also WAY shorter than stock; BAD IDEA! I couldn't wait to burn it off and go back to a 170/80-15.

Rusty

Rear tire

I'd like to put a new 170/80/15 Metzeler Marathon rear tire on my max, but I don't know if there is enough space between the tire and the swing arm on the left side.
Did someone put one on without a modification?

Re: Rear tire

I'd like to put a new 170/80/15 Metzeler Marathon rear tire on my max, but I don't know if there is enough space between the tire and the swing arm on the left side.

Hey Swiss,

Welcome! I merged your thread with an existing thread.

You can do the washer swap which is nothing more than taking the washer that currently sits between the right side swingarm and brake arm pivot which the axle runs through. You take that chrome looking washer and put it on the inside of the pumpkin where the splines from the wheel mesh inside. It basically moves it over 1/16 of an inch or so to the right...:thumbs up:

Clear as mud?:ummm:

I'm running that exact tire without doing the washer swap on my '99

I've got a brand new set of wheels and tires on the way and will have the Metzler 170//80/-15 for sale if someone wants it. It has less than a 1000 miles and no burnouts on it. I'd prolly let it go for $75 plus shipping if someone is interested.

Rusty

I'd probably take it. I think there are afew around here in need.

Sean

Here's a 170 on the back of mine.

dragbars3.jpg

Yeah it wasn't the best light or angle to take the pic of. I don't have a whole lot of room between the tire and shaft drive at all....

Brand new member today. Just found an '03 with 389 miles on it and had to have it. I'm used to sportbike riding and I'm not confident on leaning with this piddly little rear tire.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a sportier, better handling and wider shoe for the back? Thanks!

:whistlin:

get a 17" or 18" rear wheel and the radials all around. Much better.

Sean

Brand new member today. Just found an '03 with 389 miles on it and had to have it. I'm used to sportbike riding and I'm not confident on leaning with this piddly little rear tire.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a sportier, better handling and wider shoe for the back? Thanks!

i think the biggest tire you can get on the stock rear rim is either a 170 or 180. But you usually have to move the washer on the axle to the other side.

:whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin:

Me too...

Not "piddly" anymore 'eh?:coolgleamA:

A lot of guys do as I did.:banana:

Attachments

• Vmax done #5 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #5 9-11-07.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 246
  • Vmax done 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done 9-11-07.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 194

Looks really nice! Not gonna throw that kind of $$$ at the Max right now. Restoring another older bike first. My Max actually handles better than I expected now that I've gotten more used to it. Furbur fix happening today and contemplating frame braces as well. Getting too much flex at high speeds. Thx.

Back