The tire/tyre thread! Widest and best?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Widest tire on stock rear wheel

My 99 took a 170/80-15 ME880 Metzler just fine without doing the washer swap. Others I know did have to move it tho'.

I had a 180/70-15 on there at one time but that tire is way too short; Big mistake, couldn't burn it off fast enough.

If you're staying stock I think most of the Vmax community will vouch for the ME880 tire, it sticks well, wears well, and can be trusted to lean deeper than most of us will ever lean a Max.

I second what 4gassem said, I did the same, an 18" wheel and a 180/55-18 Venom-R (radial) on the back.

With the 18" wheel you can get a radial that is as tall as the stock 150/90-15.

The 17" wheel will leave you a little shorter than stock as far as I've seen.

The one shortfall of the 18" wheel is that there are no true hardcore "sportbike" type tires made for it that I've been able to find. There are some very good sport tourer tires for that wheel in some of the narrower (150, 160) widths.

If I had have known how much difference radials were going to make it might have been the first mod I did instead of one of the last. Like you said tho' money was an issue at the time for me as well; one of the disadvantages of being married.

As for the handling, ask around but for the money Frame braces, a fork brace, maybe solid engine mounts, and for sure better springs and shocks will cure most of these issues if the steering head bearing is set up properly which can be kind'of a subjective process at best.

Good luck

Rusty

I have always used metzler me 880 on the rear in a 170 size and never had a problem. However i usually change them before the tread gets to low just to be safe. So i Just found out that if you run the tire down to low it starts to rub on the swingarm. Anyone else had this happen to them? So i figured what the hell , might as well do a burnout, then it really was rubbing big time. It was worth it cause i needed a new avatar anyway.:clapping:

I just mounted my 170/80-15 ME880 Metzler and have a question about the washers. I have the thicker washer on the drive side and the skinny washer on the brake side. What is the stock positioning of the washers?

Also, I am under the impression that the shaft is rigid, if it is then how will the washer location move the tire/shaft as the rim mounts to the shaft. :bang head:

I just mounted my 170/80-15 ME880 Metzler and have a question about the washers. I have the thicker washer on the drive side and the skinny washer on the brake side. What is the stock positioning of the washers?

Also, I am under the impression that the shaft is rigid, if it is then how will the washer location move the tire/shaft as the rim mounts to the shaft. :bang head:

The thin one goes on before the axle nut... The thick one (stock) goes behind the brake arm...

The shaft position doesn't change. You're just moving the wheel to the right a few millimeters so the tire itself doesn't rub on the swingarm.

Mark

The shaft position doesn't change. You're just moving the wheel to the right a few millimeters so the tire itself doesn't rub on the swingarm.

Mark

So if only the rim/tire is moving does this affect the drive connection between the shaft and rim?

So if only the rim/tire is moving does this affect the drive connection between the shaft and rim?

Less surface area of the splines are being utilized... To me not a good thing but to each their own...

Ya, that's sounds right.

Back to my other question, what is the correct positioning of the washers/spacers?

Thanks

The big washer goes on the right side of the the brake arm so that the swing arm doesn't hit the aluminum...:thumbs up:

Lets see if I have a photo...:confused2:

Attachments

• My Vmax rear shot.jpg
    My Vmax rear shot.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 205

Thanks for the info. I like your rear wheel a lot more than my stock. :(

2006 v-max rear tire

My Stock 2006 V-max Has A 150/90-15 Rear Tire, Does Anyone Know The Wide'st & Tall'st Rear Tire That Would Fit Without Rubbing ?? And Would Anyone Know The Diamiter Of The Tire ??? I Have A Venture Final Drive Coming From Sean Morley , But I May Still Wan't To Kill Some Gear, We Take 400 Mile Trip's, And At 70 - 80 Mph, The Steady Sceaming Of My Engine Kill's Me !!!!

Re: 2006 v-max rear tire

My Stock 2006 V-max Has A 150/90-15 Rear Tire, Does Anyone Know The Wide'st & Tall'st Rear Tire That Would Fit Without Rubbing ?? And Would Anyone Know The Diamiter Of The Tire ??? I Have A Venture Final Drive Coming From Sean Morley , But I May Still Wan't To Kill Some Gear, We Take 400 Mile Trip's, And At 70 - 80 Mph, The Steady Sceaming Of My Engine Kill's Me !!!!

I merged your thread with a current one that will answer your questions. The bigger one has a 1 or so inch large circumference I believe but check out the VMF links for a tire calculator that will give you what you are looking for.:thumbs up:

Re: 2006 v-max rear tire

Here is the difference between stock and the 170:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
150/90-15 5.3in 12.8in 25.6in 80.5in 787 0.0%
170/80-15 5.4in 12.9in 25.7in 80.8in 784 0.3%

Last edited:

I too have made the swap to radials and there is no way I would ever go back!! Running 18" wheels front and rear with Metzler tires and boy what a difference in handling.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
VMOA# 4046
Western Ontario Chapter Leader

Attachments

• My Max.JPG
    My Max.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 85

Here's a side and rear view of my balloon tire, the ME880 170/80-15. This is my second one, the first one lasted about 13000 kms with about 3/32" left (not too bad!) This is my second one with about 200 kms on it this past fall (just scrubbed-in). Although I do like the looks of it in it's own way, the high profile style reminds me of my '79 468CI olds powered Trans Am with Hoosier P325/50-D15 Quicktime bias ply rears, lol!

I was recently to a local bike show, and the trend seemed to be approaching the 18's on cruisers. I was eyeing some Victory motorcycles with 250's to 330's, which gave me the craze to go 18's.

Attachments

• P9190176800.jpg
    P9190176800.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 194
  • P9190183m800.jpg
    P9190183m800.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 203

Here's a side and rear view of my balloon tire, the ME880 170/80-15. This is my second one, the first one lasted about 13000 kms with about 3/32" left (not too bad!) This is my second one with about 200 kms on it this past fall (just scrubbed-in). Although I do like the looks of it in it's own way, the high profile style reminds me of my '79 468CI olds powered Trans Am with Hoosier P325/50-D15 Quicktime bias ply rears, lol!

I was recently to a local bike show, and the trend seemed to be approaching the 18's on cruisers. I was eyeing some Victory motorcycles with 250's to 330's, which gave me the craze to go 18's.

I like the stripes... Reminds me of mine!:thumbs up:

Oh Yeah, forgot to mention, the front is a ME880 120/90-18. Goes well with the balloon theme, lol! It come on the bike when I got it, and can't wear it out. The PO had the fork brace spaced upwards, but I removed the spacers the last time I had the forks off, and the fender still clears no problem..

Back