theater shooting near tampa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
This is about ten miles from my moms house in FL. Retired cop shot a guy in the theater. The whole arguement was over texting in the theater. The cop asked him 3 times to stop. Then the cop went out and told the manager. When the cop came back the texter was angry about it and confronted the cop. It looks like the texter was going after the cop, so the cop shot him. The texters wife was also shot in the hand, so it sounds like she was trying to hold him back, and her hand was were the husband got hit. My issue with all this, is how bad this is being twisted. So far the stories i've heard are leading you to believe the guy was texting so the the cop just decided to blow him away.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/24440140/man-dead-after-wesley-chapel-movie-theater-shooting#.UtUkJPRDt8E

I've been in many theater confrontations over Irritating Assholes. I can get very loud and have scared the Hell out of everyone in the theater. Generally after these confrontations the good movie viewers applaud what I've done. Never had to shoot anyone to get them to stop but it's an option if they want to get physical. People who come to the movies with other things to do than shut up and watch, need to just stay home. The rules for being there and courtesy for others is always brought up on screen before the lights go out and movie starts.

Asked him to stop three times...

So what does that mean if I tell you 3 time to stop doing something, say speeding on your max does that give me the right to shoot & kill you.

It annoys me too that people text &talk on there phones at the movies too, but I dont pull my gun out & I do carry.

To me it sounds like the retired LEO of 21 years still thinks hes a cop. This is a sad event that you cant even go to the movies with your wife, family anymore.

Our theaters here have a no tolerance policy on that and it is shown in a preview at the beginning of all the movies. Never really had an issue with it. Only had one guy wanting to talk and be loud that we told to shut up. He started talking shit about wanting to bust a cap in us when we got outside. So, went straight to the car when the show got out and waited with our own gun. Never did see the little fuck head.

My wife and I never go to the movies any more...it's way easier, cheaper, quieter, and more convenient to just wait a coupla months and rent it on Netflix. Too many freakin' idjits in the world for us to tolerate.

My opinion, of course.

Elimax

Cell phones. Texting. YES, it can be THAT IRRITATING!

I suspect there'd have been no shooting, had the irritating texter remained in his seat rather than threaten, then rush a legally armed citizen. But that's just my opinion.

Texting is not an executable offense. No matter how much we wish it was. No way around that.
Doesn't matter if he "asked three times"
Or asked him a 1000 times.

Complaining to the management is not justification for that guy texting to assault the ex-cop. If that happened.

That ex-cop better hope there are a few witnesses to say he was being assaulted.

Only witnesses will be able to say what happened in there. Time will tell

If the texter took it to a physical level when he confronted the ex-cop about going to the manager then I got no problem with him getting his ass shot.

You don't lose your right to self defense because you made a legitimate complaint that incensed a volatile person thereby precipitating the incident.

If he did not get physical with the ex-cop then that ex-cop belongs in prison.

You just can't shoot people for texting, hollering or arguing with you. Or anything else that "irritates" you. If you disagree you really shouldn't be carrying a gun. Notice I said "can't" not "shouldn't be able to"

If you could legally do so I would have a few hundred kills to my credit.

So what does that mean if I tell you 3 time to stop doing something, say speeding on your max does that give me the right to shoot & kill you.

It annoys me too that people text &talk on there phones at the movies too, but I dont pull my gun out & I do carry.

To me it sounds like the retired LEO of 9 years still thinks hes a cop. This is a sad event that you cant even go to the movies with your wife, family anymore.

I didnt read the story, I don't have to, all these stories are so full of crap depending on where you read it from either prospective camp. So the gun people will say this, the anti gun nuts will say something else.

Its not that you told me three times not to speed that you pull out a gun and shoot me. Its that you told me three times not to speed, you went to the police, and when you came back outside after calling the police I attempted to run you down on my bike...... so you are defending yourself from being attacked.

That is how I am taking it from the limited information I have seen. So its not like you told me to not speed three times and than just said screw it and pulled out a gun and shot me.

Todd

Much more simple solution to situations like this.
Just disable all WI-fi - internet communications within the designated theater viewing area -allow this in the lobby area.
Same could be said for moving vehicles, so that the driver could not be able to text&talk. Why has this not been done? Not a question of if it's possible or not -of course it is.
Everything revolves around marketing, competition between suppliers, the promotion of high-tech technology, all at the expense of safety.

Living in a modern world invariably comes with certain prices that have to be paid.
Just my opinion

Yeah but on the same token, how many times has a life been saved because someone called from a phone while they were driving and saw a drunk driver ?

I have called 911 while driving many times while I followed a drunk driver in front of me, so I could get all the information needed to the police.

Its a two edged sword, the real key is to educate people. We educate people today how to operate a computer, how to launch missles from 5000 miles away, how to operate emergency room equipment....BUT we don't educate people how to be morally correct anymore. Its more important to get the bottom line dollar for every single company in the world, that we no longer feel it necessary to educate people how to be people. Instead we let animal instinct take over and the herds/packs of wild animals ( gangs ) run amuck.

Stupid breeds stupid......

Just a thought.

Todd

Much more simple solution to situations like this.
Just disable all WI-fi - internet communications within the designated theater viewing area -allow this in the lobby area.
Same could be said for moving vehicles, so that the driver could not be able to text&talk. Why has this not been done? Not a question of if it's possible or not -of course it is.
Everything revolves around marketing, competition between suppliers, the promotion of high-tech technology, all at the expense of safety.

Living in a modern world invariably comes with certain prices that have to be paid.
Just my opinion

FCC regulations disallow use of jamming or radio disruptive technologies unfortunately. It all falls back to in case of an emergency people need to communicate, etc.

As for the case at hand I'm going to chose to ignore the media and let the courts sort it out. Like all other events like this in FL, 95% of what makes the news is bullshit anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yep, valid points (the need to allow 911/emergency services transmissions)
So why couldn't the technology be configured to let only these essential talk and texts go through?
A recent study in British Columbia found that distracted driving has now surpassed DUI, as the leading cause of automobile accidents and fatalities.
More than likely, true as well in most other provinces and states.
Cheers!

Yeah but on the same token, how many times has a life been saved because someone called from a phone while they were driving and saw a drunk driver ?

I have called 911 while driving many times while I followed a drunk driver in front of me, so I could get all the information needed to the police.

Its a two edged sword, the real key is to educate people. We educate people today how to operate a computer, how to launch missles from 5000 miles away, how to operate emergency room equipment....BUT we don't educate people how to be morally correct anymore. Its more important to get the bottom line dollar for every single company in the world, that we no longer feel it necessary to educate people how to be people. Instead we let animal instinct take over and the herds/packs of wild animals ( gangs ) run amuck.

Stupid breeds stupid......

Just a thought.

Todd

Very well said!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Damn shame, the guy was texting his 3 year daughter who is now fatherless.

I'd say he was just another pussy with a gun like George Zimmerman but I have a lot of respect for LE officers. I can't imagaine what was going through the guys mind though, he should have just changed seats.

Not sure how "texting" was disturbing the guy?.....the buttons don't make any noise, and he could have had his phone on silent mode to prevent the incoming messages from making noise. Not taking any sides here, but it sure seems like there has got to be more to the story!

Not sure how "texting" was disturbing the guy?.....the buttons don't make any noise, and he could have had his phone on silent mode to prevent the incoming messages from making noise. Not taking any sides here, but it sure seems like there has got to be more to the story!

Most likely the light from phone was distracting .

Damn shame, the guy was texting his 3 year daughter who is now fatherless.

I'd say he was just another pussy with a gun like George Zimmerman but I have a lot of respect for LE officers. I can't imagaine what was going through the guys mind though, he should have just changed seats.

If you want to call a 20 yr retired Tampa police captain with expertise in tactical response, a pussy with a gun, then I guess that's your opinion.

How about the guy should have stopped texting, or went to the lobby to finish.
The texter had 5 different oppertunities to avoid the outcome.
He could have obeyed the request of the theater to shut off phones. He could have stopped any one of the 3 times the ret. cop asked him to stop. And then he chose to confront the ret. cop after he talked to management. A different response to any one of these 5 choices and he's home with his 3 yr old right now.

If you want to call a 20 yr retired Tampa police captain with expertise in tactical response, a pussy with a gun, then I guess that's your opinion.

How about the guy should have stopped texting, or went to the lobby to finish.
The texter had 5 different oppertunities to avoid the outcome.
He could have obeyed the request of the theater to shut off phones. He could have stopped any one of the 3 times the ret. cop asked him to stop. And then he chose to confront the ret. cop after he talked to management. A different response to any one of these 5 choices and he's home with his 3 yr old right now.

Yup, yup.

+ why would mr. Texters wife feel the need to put her hand out in front of her hubby in an attempt to stop him from.......what? I'm thinking there's a very good chance she felt her hubby was in the process of lunging at the former leo. And if she thought hubby's attack was immenent, you know the ex leo was feeling mighty threatened right about then too.

If anything, I think there needs to be new laws against texting and disturbing others around you. If it weren't for the texting, this incident would not have occurred.

Back