theater shooting near tampa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the story...but this is just based off of being around a paramedic and being around a lot of cops. SOMETHING MADE the retired officer shoot...either the guy lunged at him...or something, he wouldn't open fire just because he was pissed off.

If you want to call a 20 yr retired Tampa police captain with expertise in tactical response, a pussy with a gun, then I guess that's your opinion.

How about the guy should have stopped texting, or went to the lobby to finish.
The texter had 5 different oppertunities to avoid the outcome.
He could have obeyed the request of the theater to shut off phones. He could have stopped any one of the 3 times the ret. cop asked him to stop. And then he chose to confront the ret. cop after he talked to management. A different response to any one of these 5 choices and he's home with his 3 yr old right now.

What? You quote what I posted and then you say I said exactly what I said I wasn't saying. LOL !

I'll tell you something....it scary (and disgusting) to me how some people here think so little of a human life that they will justify someone being snuffed out just to defend the use of a gun.

Anyone that will say because the victim did not stop texting he asked to be killed is sick. You wouldn't feel that way if it was your son.

What? You quote what I posted and then you say I said exactly what I said I wasn't saying. LOL !

I'll tell you something....it scary (and disgusting) to me how some people here think so little of a human life that they will justify someone being snuffed out just to defend the use of a gun.

Anyone that will say because the victim did not stop texting he asked to be killed is sick. You wouldn't feel that way if it was your son.

Your missing the point, the point is the guy who got shot more than likely initiated a physical attack on an elderly man. An average young to middle aged guy can beat an elderly person to death pretty easily and unintentionally. Don't mess with old people, they'll just kill you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Your missing the point, the point is the guy who got shot more than likely initiated a physical attack on an elderly man. An average young to middle aged guy can beat an elderly person to death pretty easily and unintentionally. Don't mess with old people, they'll just kill you.

The police say there was no physical contact. That's why he's being held.

There were plenty of witnesses so we'll know what really happened soon enough I guess.

Good point, none of us know what really happened so let's give it some time to play out.

New laws aren't the answer, what people need to do is use some common courtsey/common sense with each other.........................Tom.

Respect or possible pay the ultimate . Even the one that shoots better have 100 percent justified cause .I have some property in west virgina and had some problems with pooching some vandalism .I called the cops for a police report and the cop asked me if I carry ( thought trick ?) I said no ! He said would you rather be tried by 12 or carried by 6.. I said neither but if it came down to that I will do what ever it takes to come home to my family any way possible period !!!!!! If I had been the cop in the movie theatre I would have relocated to a different seat . I always think other guy could have a gun or knife NOT friggen worth it .

New laws aren't the answer, what people need to do is use some common courtsey/common sense with each other.........................Tom.

Absolutely right Tom, a little courtesy goes a long ways....trouble is it's in very short supply these days. I don't know what happened to it or where it went but it's a rare commodity....common sense hit the skids a long time ago....very sad really. :sad2:

As for the theater situation....I'm NOT going to the wall with some rude jerk who can't keep off his goddamn phone (you see that everywhere....everyday) it would piss me off but I'd move to another seat.

Actually, I wouldn't be there in the first place....anytime you're in a large group of people the potential for this kind of shit increases exponentially, like the wise man said....wait a couple weeks and watch the damn movie in the comfort of your own home....with your weapon of choice within reach. Then if a confrontation arises you can deal with it as you see fit.....unless it's with your wife, of course! :hihi:

Why do a whole lot of people ASSUME there were other seats available in that theater for the ex-leo to have moved? I don't think I read that any place so far.

And if EVERYONE who is witness to a 'rule' being broken were to simply get up and move to someplace else, wouldn't this ole' world be in a he!! of a pickle?

Why do a whole lot of people ASSUME there were other seats available in that theater for the ex-leo to have moved? I don't think I read that any place so far.

And if EVERYONE who is witness to a 'rule' being broken were to simply get up and move to someplace else, wouldn't this ole' world be in a he!! of a pickle?

Not speaking for EVERYONE Jim.....just ME.

I wonder....if the leo had the choice to make all over again....which way he'd go this time.....:hmmm:

Not speaking for EVERYONE Jim.....just ME.

I wonder....if the leo had the choice to make all over again....which way he'd go this time.....:hmmm:

It's not just you Danny. I read several forums, and a couple newspaper articles yesterday & this morning. Many people have commented that the ex-Leo should simply have moved to another seat.

Read the artical post #26. It states that there were only 25 people in the theater. Plenty of empty seat to just move. I agree with you, you shouldnt have to move, but this isnt the same world our dads & granddads grew up in. There some F- up people in this world !! and its not getting any better.

This is such a twisted response. If you really believe any one here thinks like this, your out of your tree. Its about personal responsibility. Again, the guy made 5 specific, defiant, decisions that lead to the outcome. I'll even look at it your way. Lets say the cop is a pussy with a gun, and completely guilty and a cold blooded murder. The texter is still responsible for esculating the situation to the outcome. Does all that go out the window because there was a gun involved? The guy was willing to go toe to toe, rather than just put his phone away.. Better that the old guy gets a beat down, maybe dies. There's no good out come, no matter how you look at it. The point is it never should have gotten that far. The guy died over a common courtesy issue. Using words like "asking to be killed" or "think so little of human life" is just antagonistic. I'm not defending the use of the gun, I'm telling you what the guys actions (decisions) were that lead to that. Nobodys cheering for any of this, but We all know how this will be used. I would hope my son would make better decisions than this guy.

Read the artical post #26. It states that there were only 25 people in the theater. Plenty of empty seat to just move. I agree with you, you shouldnt have to move, but this isnt the same world our dads & granddads grew up in. There some F- up people in this world !! and its not getting any better.

And how many seats were available in the whole theater? Enough to get completely away from the glare and/or distraction of the texters' screen? :ummm: :bang head:

I guess it's not so much about taking another seat as making different choices. The cell phone guy could have chosen to abide by the theater regs and not done any texting, he could have chosen not to be confrontational when the x-leo mentioned the phone.......the x-leo could have chosen to ignore the phone, taken another seat, somehow de-tuned the situation (presumably he had training in doing that), walked away, whatever.

Instead we have a culmination of bad decisions resulting in a 70 yr old who will probly spend his retirement in jail and a young guy with a family who won't have any retirement at all.

EVERYBODY lost in this deal! :punk:

SOMETHING MADE the retired officer shoot...either the guy lunged at him...or something, he wouldn't open fire just because he was pissed off.

Don't take this wrong because I am VERY pro LEO.

But I've seen a lot of cops in my day that were very much on the edge and had absolutely no business wearing a badge or carrying a gun. I've run across plenty of 'em in 50 years.
Not saying its true for this guy in particular. The good ones far outweigh the bad ones I believe.

I think we are dealing with an out of touch "angry old guy" with an amplified sense of moral outrage at what the world has come to these days.

As far as theatre seating. Local news said it had 25 patrons.

I've never seen a theatre that didn't hold 3-4 times that many people. Including the old one I grew up with that was built in the 50's

And I still think its fucking insane to suggest that anything less than a physical attack justifies killing someone.

That HAS been "suggested" in the comments on here. Undeniably.

Got a question for y'all

Has anyone googled the victims name?

I've yet to see a mainstream news report that showed a picture of him.

I did, he wasn't a thug. He appears to be a young hardworking respectable man with a job in finance (motorcycle dealer) with a beautiful wife and child.

Time will tell how this plays out.

Don't take this wrong because I am VERY pro LEO.

But I've seen a lot of cops in my day that were very much on the edge and had absolutely no business wearing a badge or carrying a gun. I've run across plenty of 'em in 50 years.
Not saying its true for this guy in particular. The good ones far outweigh the bad ones I believe.

I think we are dealing with an out of touch "angry old guy" with an amplified sense of moral outrage at what the world has come to these days.

As far as theatre seating. Local news said it had 25 patrons.

I've never seen a theatre that didn't hold 3-4 times that many people. Including the old one I grew up with that was built in the 50's

And I still think its fucking insane to suggest that anything less than a physical attack justifies killing someone.

That HAS been "suggested" in the comments on here. Undeniably.

Got a question for y'all

Has anyone googled the victims name?

I've yet to see a mainstream news report that showed a picture of him.

I did, he wasn't a thug. He appears to be a young hardworking respectable man with a job in finance (motorcycle dealer) with a beautiful wife and child.

Time will tell how this plays out.

Hey! I resemble that comment.

Now - it's motorcycle related.

And I agree with Danny - EVERYBODY lost in this deal. Everybody. Sad for everyone involved.

"According to the arrest report, Reeves told a detective that he pulled his .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol out of his pants pocket after Oulson struck him in the face with an “unknown object,” although the sheriff’s investigation didn’t turn up any such object and witnesses said they did not see any punches being thrown, the sheriff’s office reported."

Most likely popcorn. Story says that witnesses said Oulson threw his popcorn at Reeves. Seems ridiculous, until you place it in the senero. Darkened movie theater, 71 yr old ex-cop. Enraged texter. Got into a "heated" argument. The texter at very least had a physically aggresive posture. The wifes hand speaks to holding him back. Also throwing food at the cop. The cop has been trained to react. retired or not it's engrained. Felt something hit him in the face. Felt he was being "physically attacked" and pulled his weapon.

I'm tired of the right or wrong, justified or not arguements, just stating how easily it "could" have happened, based on the story. This is a real life "What would you do" like Todds thread, With a tragic ending.

So the asshole texter who was texting his 3 year old ( who the hell gives a 3 year old a cell phone ? Last I checked 3 year olds can barely spell their name ), is this even the truth ? Or are we just adding more bullshit to the story like the media does?

I didn't read the article and like I said, I don't think I have to. Because mainly crap like this is so blown out of proportion that its silly.

So lets boil it down, texter disobeys theater policy. You paid good money to see a movie and you have someone breaking theater policy ( not your policy ) so you say something to them. They tell you to fxxx off and merrily text away. Well I don't know about you, but you can waste your money however you want. I don't want to waste my money, so I think the LEO has the same idea probably. But I don't know I wasn't there. LEO tells the guy to again obey policy of the theater. Guy tells him to fxxx off one more time. LEO says it again, gets another Fxxx off I ll do what I want when I want attitude. SO LEO goes to management. Comes back and now texter tough guy is now confronting a retired ederly LEO ( hell I don't even know if he was ederly I am guessing since he is retired he isnt a spunky 20 year old retiree ). Regardless of whether he punched, swung or was verbal, if you move in the direction of someone to have words, you have now entered a physical confrontation. If someone had to stop him from moving towards the LEO, then I would say he might have been fearing for his life. Again I don't know I wasn't there personally.

Could all of this been taken care of better. Hell yes!!! Texter man could have grown a sack and respected everyone else around him. LEO man could have tucked his sack in and moved his seat away and just been bullied one more time

OOOOOORRRRRRRR.......................

LEO man could have just gone right to the management and demanded the texter to be removed and asked for a refund of his money/tickets to another viewing.

What a pain in the ass that would be. Because I figure most of us like to plan our evenings out as enjoyment, not arguing and making trouble with others just so we can watch a stupid movie on the big screen.

So bottom line, he was texting, he wasn't killing someone, but the principle of the matter is he was breaking a common courtesy policy set in place because your at a quiet movie theater. NOT a rock concert.

Shit started because one asshole couldn't keep his phone away for 2 hours and another asshole took offense to it.

I could go on and on about it. But bottom line, the FIRST INSTIGATOR was texter man..... no texty no shooty.......:bang head:

Todd

Back