tips for buying older v-max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unblind

Reaction score
I'm ready to pick up a 1990 with 18k miles, decent overall shape. It's currently not running and the elderly owner says one day it just started running really bad, would not idle right etc. Everything looks there, just partially apart after owner disassembled to troubleshoot, only to give up. It's been that way for 4 years.

Has a set of Supertrapps, sportmax seat, added oil gauge, and some little toggle switch the owner thinks must have something to do with v-boost (although he says he never touched it, and was on there when he got it)
This item has me a bit worried, as I don't like what looks to me like a home made add-on. :confused2:

I'm prob gonna trailer home next week about 30 min from house. Aside from normal clean/flush/fill the obvious, when waking a dormant vehicle, are there any specific items to look out for?

Any help is appreciated.

:punk: Hey unblind, sounds like a great project. Yes change all the fluids including the gas and go easy. You will probably end up working on the carbs. There are several self help sections on here to guide you. Ask questions and have a good time. Don't get in too big of a hurry and do it right the first time. Welcome, and Good Luck, Spurs

Ya, you'll most prolly need to take the carbs off and clean them thoroughly - after 4 years of sitting they will be gummed up. Also will want a fresh battery, and fluids. Make sure to do the brakes and clutch fluids too.
Then you wanna make sure the tires are ok - if dry rotted or worn, replace.
Lastly, and vey importantly, you need to make sure the head bearings are adjusted properly.

Have fun!

I'm ready to pick up a 1990 with 18k miles, decent overall shape. It's currently not running and the elderly owner says one day it just started running really bad, would not idle right etc. Everything looks there, just partially apart after owner disassembled to troubleshoot, only to give up. It's been that way for 4 years.

Has a set of Supertrapps, sportmax seat, added oil gauge, and some little toggle switch the owner thinks must have something to do with v-boost (although he says he never touched it, and was on there when he got it)
This item has me a bit worried, as I don't like what looks

to me like a home made add-on. :confused2:

I'm prob gonna trailer home next week about 30 min from house. Aside from normal clean/flush/fill the obvious, when waking a dormant vehicle, are there any specific items to look out for?

Any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't go near it, unless I was going to part it out. Save your money and buy a newer model that is in better condition.

Did you tell us what the initial cost will be? I wouldn't mind finding 4 or 5 in that shape if the price was right. They make profitable projects or they can still be parted out for a profit if you get in too deep. The knowledge you gain will be priceless.

Good Luck.

Added 9:54 PM: Welcome to the VMF.

after cleaning carbs, and before attempting to run, spend time flushing the gas tank (from experience) it can mess the carbs right back up if you have fine rust or any old gas left in the tank ;[

First off, welcome to the forum! Second, if he is not giving you a steal of a deal, RUN! Do you mind if we ask how much $$$ ?

Every situation is different , I just picked up my second VMax , it's a 94 with 27K on it...you might think twice about the bike until you look it over . This thing is spotless to the point of being TOO clean , no doubt the previous owner was as anal retentive as you can be...maybe not a bad thing .

Point is , take it for what it is and make it into what you want...good luck with it...:twocents:

Thanks for all the replies. I am going back over to better access the bike today before I make final decision. The owner is even cool with me tinkering with it, but with old gas and such, not much will occur.

Owner is asking 2k obo, talked him down to $1700 and he took it, as he needs the funds for a scooter.
Does that sound reasonable to you guys?
I really don't know how much it's worth parted out, aside from some quick searches on Ebay.

FWIW- I do have some mechanical experience and feel this could be a nice bike for under 2500 total and some elbow grease.

dunno dude... I bought a 1994 in pristine "museum type" condition with only 8K on it for only 3K. I haven't had a single problem with it. The paint was flawless and carbs synched beautifully. It also had new Dunlops on it... there are great deals on running bike out there if you look around...however if you like turning a wrench, I'm sure it will be a great bike... no matter what, you've got a true Muscle Bike ICON.... I'm almost biting at the bullet to pick up a second one as someone local has a 2005 for sale for 5K

Carbs can maybe come clean and maybe not. I got a very nasty set in this last week (on a local bike) and they would not come clean. Tried to get a bit more aggressive but over did it and junked the set.

Sean

Carbs can maybe come clean and maybe not. I got a very nasty set in this last week (on a local bike) and they would not come clean. Tried to get a bit more aggressive but over did it and junked the set.

Sean

:confused2: Hey, what are you using to clean with? What happened to the carbs? Later, Spur

I normally use a batch of testing chemical I get from my BG products buddy and it works well. But, this stuff wouldn't come out. Muratic acid took it out but also ate up the carbs! I use MEK on the remaining carb and every where I could get a brush to it I was able to clean it out. BUT, it wouldn't get it out of the passages.

Sean

Sean

Sean do you use the 5 gal cans of carb clean with the agitator? My uncle uses some wicked carb cleaner in his mechanics shop. I know he has to buy it at a chemical supplyer. You need to totally strip the carbs down to nothing otherwise it will eat all the gaskets out and your fingers if you touched it. you had to wash the parts down with water very very good after they had been in that stuff! It was some awesome Shiznit
G

If you're comfortable spinning wrenches & are looking for a project bike, I say go for it. Mine was rough as hell when I got it, but it was cheap enough, & for me, rebuilding it is half the fun. No shortage of spare parts or knowledge at this web site. Bookmark it, buy the bike, & enjoy. :punk:

man i dunno, my friend just picked up a 93 FZR600 for 100 bucks, he is 1600 dollars into it now, he had to buy a batt, a regulator, tire, carbs cleaned, blah blah blah,

and whats funny? just saw a 94 pop up on craigslist the other day with half the miles READY TO RIDE, for 1k LOLOLOLOL. of course i called him and let him know hahahahahaa

hes been woprkin on that thing for 2 months

and to think he still has to title it and buy plates blah blah

thats a long time for carbs to sit...Start looking for a used set on ebay...buy a case of sea foam lol..

Back