To buy or not to buy?!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just run it hard (full throttle) through the gears (try and find a safe place to at least run it through 3rd this way). Make sure it's warmed up first.

From the map I'm assuming that bike is at fun bike center in SD just south of Miramar. They have a sketchy reputation for screwing military guys over (the younger ones) so ask a LOT of questions. Get the history on it from them. They should have it. My bf and I are only like 15-20mins away from FBC and can come help if you need. We both have class m license if you don't. Just let us know and Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thank you that is a very generous offer. Ironically I am military, though not as young and bushy tailed as once I was. And, I have subject to some of the scams that you mentioned on the opposite coast.

My wife and I will be going to take a look at it at 11 tomorrow, and I would very much appreciate if you would like to come and give your opinion especially given you have a great deal more experience with the Vmax than I do.

Wow, thank you that is a very generous offer. Ironically I am military, though not as young and bushy tailed as once I was. And, I have subject to some of the scams that you mentioned on the opposite coast.

My wife and I will be going to take a look at it at 11 tomorrow, and I would very much appreciate if you would like to come and give your opinion especially given you have a great deal more experience with the Vmax than I do.

We should be able to make it there at 11. It doesn't take much to get us to a bike shop/store :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's lots of good info here and the guy's here will steer you in the right replace.

I bought my 1st vmax 8/5/2012 a 1992 paid $3200.00 even though the bike ran very good and had some new parts install. I just started replacing some parts with new yamaha parts. For my peace of mind. You can get the mod monkey with this bike.

I have race Summit Point Race Way in VA a few bikes in the past and drag race other types of bikes. The vmax will grow on you.

When I bought the bike this is the work was dun to it.

Listing of the the seller add below when I bought my bike.

Listing my clean adult owned 92 VMax.
Awesome shape needs nothing but a rider.
It has 19k on the odometer but dont let that scare you. This bike was purchased from a certified Yamaha tech in Bensalem Pa. that completley redid the bike.
Items he did are as follows.

Heads ported flow tested, all new seals gaskets
Kerker exhaust
Morley jet kit
K&N intake "single"
new Dunlop tires
GSXR 750 front caliper upgrade
Yamaha Venture rear diff mod "Better highway RPM's
Awesome Yamaha blue paint profesonally done wet sanded then buffed.
Items I have done since ownership are as follows
Receipt will be provided
New battery
battery tender "included"
Fork seals
starter clutch
steering stem bearing "no high speed "wooble"
Blue LED engine light kit
All fluids changed
Also this has no VMax signature second gear issues.

This bike is fast and needs nothing but a rider.
I will include a large shell helmet.

This bike is fast and not for beginners..........

There's another bike should be almost near you. This is a very good deal for this 1999

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcd/4293719576.html

We are selling a 1999 Yamaha VMAX 1200 with 4,437 miles! This is a very clean cruiser, please come down and see our inventory of new / used motorcycles today!

Vehicle Information:
Make: Yamaha
Model: VMAX
Year: 1999
Mileage: 4,437

DO NOT BUY A NEW OR USED MOTORCYCLE WITHOUT CALLING ME FIRST! If you do, you will be losing money. I offer financing for good and bad credit. As little as $0 down payment.
Biggest selection in the San Diego area. I have a full accessories department, as well as a service center. We are your 1 stop shop.
MILITARY DISCOUNTS
CALL KEIF AT 858-278-6635!
We are open:
M - F: 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Sat: 9:00AM - 6:00PM
Sun: 11AM - 5:00PM

Actually just took a look at that one. It has a TON of salt damage all over the front forks, on the scoops, and throughout the engine. It seems to run well, and has only 4444 miles.

The dealer was asking $4500 OTD, and would only go down to $4000. So, we walked. Was that a bad call?

Actually just took a look at that one. It has a TON of salt damage all over the front forks, on the scoops, and throughout the engine. It seems to run well, and has only 4444 miles.

The dealer was asking $4500 OTD, and would only go down to $4000. So, we walked. Was that a bad call?

Ask them what happened to the $3599.00.

$3599+489 (reconditioning fee)+$500 (tax title and tag)

Apparently they are selling it on consignment for an older gentlemen who is only selling it because his wife wants him to, so I don't know that he is likely to drop the price.

It's going to be hard not to find one without some corrosion under the clear if that's what you are talking about. This was common for them to do after just a few years.

I would have been ok with some minor corrosion, but this was fairly extensive. Almost the entire front forks, a good bit of instruments which have a chrome front, and covering a good third of one of the scoops.

It was a bit odd actually, some parts of the bike looked brand new and others covered in corrosion. The pipes for instance, where flawless.

A 4K miles original unmolested 'Max, as-long as it wasn't 8000 quarter-mile trips is probably going to be OK. Electrical connector corrosion and finish imperfections are about the only things I can think-of which would be wrong w/that low mileage, if the carbs have already been cleaned, and it starts & runs. Sure, the typical wear items of any older bike may be present, too, dry-rotted tires w/hardened rubber, old brake fluid in the brakes & clutch, a tired battery... what did the "re-conditioning" consist-of, besides "re-conditioning" the insides of the seller's wallet?:biglaugh:

If there isn't clear fluid in the sight glasses for the handlebar reservoirs, then you know their "re-conditioning" is just a junk fee, and has no basis in fact. Then-again, perhaps they aired-up the schrader valves? Isn't that worth $244.50 apiece?:confused2:

The pipes may have been sitting on the dealer's back-shelf for years since they took them off a new 'Max and installed an aftermarket 4/1 for a proud new owner. Replacing the old, rusted ones w/those made the bike a lot more saleable. I live 2 blocks from salt water and my stock pipes got lots of tiny corrosion marks on them which I solved by finding a better-condition stock megaphone set, until I replaced the entire system w/a UFO 4/1 Dragstar.

When we asked what the "reconditioning fee" was they said that when they take a bike in on consignment, they do a quick ride and once over before they put it on the floor. Once it sells, they do a complete top to bottom on it mechanically to ensure that it is fit to sell and that is what the reconditioning is in regards to. He mentioned that the fee doesn't change, and that the replace anything which is needed which sometimes gets them into trouble as they end up replacing more than the $500 which they charged the customer.

I may be able to wave that service actually, and take the risk.

Sorry-man from the picture the bike looks good. I email them to post more picture please around the bike.

Did you take any pictures of the bike. man this bike looks good.

Sean send him pictures of the bikes you have for sale or post them in your vmaxforum sale list.

Attachments

• vmax buy 1990 3500.jpg
    vmax buy 1990 3500.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 28
Jagco, no hard feelings and I apologize if it came across that way. From the pictures online it looks flawless and like an amazing deal. After I got home, I even looked at that ad again to see how I could have missed it. I don't know it if was the lighting or very careful angles but you cant see any of the build up.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures with my phone while I was there. I realized after leaving.

Jagco, no hard feelings and I apologize if it came across that way. From the pictures online it looks flawless and like an amazing deal. After I got home, I even looked at that ad again to see how I could have missed it. I don't know it if was the lighting or very careful angles but you cant see any of the build up.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures with my phone while I was there. I realized after leaving.

All good no problem, Man $3500.00 if it was clean. I would buy the bike and hide it from my wife funny.

dannymax here - if have his name right, has yellow vmax with a lot of mods for sale.

Here are some pics of the corrosion. Any idea how I could go about fixing it, and if so how much it would cost me? I know it looks somewhat minor, but it covers all of the front forks, including most of the triple tree and the speedometer.

The front forks can be buff polish, I did my kz1000 front forks I have the bike posted in my pictures here. Or exchange them Sean or some 1 here may be able to do it. The scoops can be re-painted or powder painted or you can exchange them also Sean again.

That's not that bad... How much will the sale the bike to you for....

Don't sweat the cosmetics. You can ride it and work on the cosmetics, reliability is much-more important. Different grades of sandpaper, some buffing wheels and rouge, and you can take care of all the metal pieces. Any plastic needing refinishing probably requires careful sanding and some Krylon plastic paint at a minimum. If the 'flashed' chrome-look is peeling, I think replacement is the only solution (ex.: the finish on the speedo bucket).

That actually doesn't look that bad to me...Even in Oklahoma, my scoops were starting to corrode around the bolt holes.

Walk away by the time you get done you will have $4500 into it and you can find a cleaner one for that kind of money.

Back