To buy or not to buy?!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you see the price out-the-door? It's already over $4500. For a 4000 mile bike w/only cosmetic issues, I don't think that's such a bad price. I don't think you are going to find very many bikes w/less miles, anywhere, and if you do, I bet their asking price is going to be even more. The downtubes look to be OK, I didn't see any rust on them.

Prices in south FL seem to be a bit less than elsewhere, from what I have seen mentioned on here, and something from the '05-'07 model years w/that-few miles in FL the asking prices are close to $7K!

I just checked CL here and found nothing in any year w/that few miles reported. An '05 w/28K mi. for $4.5K is closest I could find right now. The $7K price was a So. Miami FL guy awhile ago w/a ~3K mi. reported & '06/07 year model thereabouts. Also saw a '01 w/37K mi for $5K asking.

Walk away by the time you get done you will have $4500 into it and you can find a cleaner one for that kind of money.

Did you see the price out-the-door? It's already over $4500. For a 4000 mile bike w/only cosmetic issues, I don't think that's such a bad price. I don't think you are going to find very many bikes w/less miles, anywhere, and if you do, I bet their asking price is going to be even more. The downtubes look to be OK, I didn't see any rust on them.

Prices in south FL seem to be a bit less than elsewhere, from what I have seen mentioned on here, and something from the '05-'07 model years w/that-few miles in FL the asking prices are close to $7K!

I just checked CL here and found nothing in any year w/that few miles reported. An '05 w/28K mi. for $4.5K is closest I could find right now. The $7K price was a So. Miami FL guy awhile ago w/a ~3K mi. reported & '06/07 year model thereabouts. Also saw a '01 w/37K mi for $5K asking.

Plus 1, I thank it's a good deal. After seeing the pictures. he may lower the price...
keep asking....

I sold a 2003 with cosmetic only issues a couple of years ago with 12k miles for $3000. We had put in new fork seals, plugs, and even went through the carbs. They are cheaper here as a whole so I think the $4500 price unless out the door with it is high. I think the $3500_$4000 range is more on target.

Also, I finally saw the pics and from what I can see that "corrosion" is very common. We see it all the time with the scoops we take in on trade for our chrome exchange. It's under the clear coat so it would take stripped down and recoated to look good again. Overall it's definitely nothing that is beyond cosmetic and I don't think indicative of salt exposure.

Talked the dealer down to 3995 OTD. Dont think that they will drop below it though.

Any other concerns I should have with the carburetors and 2nd gear off the table?

I think if those two are confirmed good, you're good to go. It's there. You want it. Post pics of it in your driveway...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

i think if those two are confirmed good, you're good to go. It's there. You want it. Post pics of it in your driveway...

+1

Everyone on this board can TELL you what a good price is, and what a good price is supposed to be. Bottom line....do you want it...and can you afford it? I probably paid too much for mine at a dealership, but I now have the bike that I've wanted for years, and I am very happy with it. That's the bottom line.

Last edited:
Dealers are always hungry this time of year lay down couple hundred less tell them thats your final time coming in take it or you walk !! or just buy it . Other than majors issues gears ,blown engine or stolen there's so much info on this forum and willing people to help with ANY problem other then how to stay away from the little infectious motherf&%cking wallet grabbing mod monkey ! I say buy it . :eusa_dance:

Check the gas filter for rust color, and check gas tank for rusted if you can with flash light. Ask them if they will let you drain some gas out all 4 carbs to see what the gas look like. Would be nice to check that way to.

A 4500 mile 1999 vmax with the imperfection I see from the pictures. I think it's a good buy. But keep asking for lower price to.

The more I look at the add his price is $3599.00 there's no added price in there.... The bike should be sold for the listing price.....

I agree. The salesman at the dealership was pretty blunt in saying that the only money that they make on consignments is from the service or "reconditioning" fee that they attach to it.

Ironically, if the bike needs quite a bit they lose money in the process so allowing someone, i.e. me, to avoid that fee altogether may end up helping both parties.

I've never heard of a consignment that have the dealer a percentage of the sale price, or a predetermined flat fee for selling it.

That's their profit usually....not saying that's what everyone does though.

LOL, going up there soon to pick it up.

Also, going to look into what I can use to remove the salt build up.... Any products anyone knows of which are readily available?

I talk to the sale man there this morning. Never herd of anything like the way they are making extra money. What was the selling price out the door they was trying to sale to you. If you can find out who the owner of the bike you may buy pass all this.

He could not provide me with work dun on the bike to justified the almost $1000.00 that's not in the add. Added price.

If this bike is in the true shape he say it is. With the low miles this is a good selling point.

If check with dannymax in the forum he is selling his vmax.... a very nice bike well kelp with a lot of mods.

After look at these pictures of the bike this could be a very good deal.

Attachments

• 20140120_121558.jpg
    20140120_121558.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140120_121603.jpg
    20140120_121603.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20140120_121608.jpg
    20140120_121608.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 25
  • 20140120_121615.jpg
    20140120_121615.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 21
  • 20140120_121622.jpg
    20140120_121622.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20140120_121627.jpg
    20140120_121627.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 17
Bought it today guys, and after a 3 hour return visit to the dealer because their $500 "reconditioning" didn't notice that the plastic "L" shaped connector to the coolant reservoir was broken. Then, they didn't have the part....

Anyone, it is home now and pictures are coming.

Guy at the dealer recommended I use Scotch Brite on the lower forks and air scoops. Does anyone have experience with it. All of the build up was very superficial and more minimal than I remember.

But...NOW...ITS YOURS....and I know that you can tell by reading this forum, that ANYTHING that goes wrong with a Vmax, can be fixed with the knowledge on this forum.

I have seen steel wool used to polish exhaust, and the like. It was 0000 steel wool.

Welcome, Decter!
As far as that clean-up issue goes- keep in mind that all the "blinged" OEM aluminum parts, (including the scoops,side covers, etc) have a clear coat coating over them. This may be what you have noticed is deteriorated, not the base metal itself. Easy to fix, but involves the removal of the remaining clear coat. Tons of info on this forum, if you want to restore these bling parts to original shine , or better!
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back