To Lower or not to lower

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phazernut

Reaction score
I'm considering doing a suspension upgrade on my 03. Will be getting the progressive front springs and probably the 444 shocks. Since I'm new to the V-Max world but certainly not new to bikes I'm wondering what I should do. I don't ride super aggressive and I sometimes ride two up. I weigh about 230 fully dressed. What advantages / disadvantages will the lowered bike get me over keeping it stock height. Also how much do I lower it? Do I get HD or regular weight springs?

I'm sure all of theses answers are here somewhere but I figured I'd put it all in one post.

I would say skip the progressive springs and go with RaceTech's straight rate + gold valve emulators for the forks.

A little scary on the install since you drill holes in the damping rod to disable it, but IMO worth the money big time.

I put the 1.0kg springs in for 220lbs (RaceTech has a calculator) and internally lowered the front 1". No issues bottoming the bike at all. Even the time or two I've had over 500lbs on it. I wouldn't go any lower than 1" if you like to corner though I scrape the pegs plenty as is.

The 412's are cheaper for the rear and plenty here are happy with them. Though 444's come in black so that's probably where I'll be going. I don't think this bike requires the HD springs in any config outside of that one guy that uses it to tow other bikes lol.

+ 1 on the Race Tech springs & emulators . I would move up from Progressive 412s and look at Progressive 430 shocks. Adjustable and look great.

Attachments

• Group 3   5-28-12 610.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 610.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 65
Hi once again gurus lol

I want to lower mine but want it low low
Like guard on wheel low
What size are standard shock? I wanna but others to replace them.

13" o.c. eyelets is stock. 11.5" o.c. is about as-low as I have heard anyone daring to go. I have a nearly-new pair of 11.5" Progressive Suspension 440's (HD-rating) but they're not cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 30
+ 1 on the Race Tech springs & emulators . I would move up from Progressive 412s and look at Progressive 430 shocks. Adjustable and look great.

So RaceTech vs. Progressive Susspension... Any thoughts??

Race tech front. Works rear...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

+1 The best available IMO.

Lowering is only advisable if you need to because you can't reach the ground comfortably, or you want to drag race the bike. Lowering has a negative effect on handling/turning.

We can do better then those if your wallet is large enough (the Penske rear is pretty much the cream).

Can't go wrong either way. Both are a huge improvement over stock. Reacetech springs are straight wound, progressive are progressive wound. Which is better is a matter of opinion.

IMO spending $100 on springs is THE best bang for your buck mod that can be done on this bike.

Progressive or straight wound?

The air space above the oil is progressive by its very nature. So you end up with progressive damping either way.

I have no opinion, just putting it out there.

I can't even remember which springs are in mine. But think they are race techs.

Works flat trackers on the back. Someone extended their swing arm and couldn't use them any more so I got a deal on them. Am pleased way past the 412's I had that leaked oil.

Lowering looks cool. But that's about it. did it for a whole. Went back to almost stock height. Lowering did me no favors in the handling department.

Progressive or straight wound?

The air space above the oil is progressive by its very nature. So you end up with progressive damping either way.

I have no opinion, just putting it out there.

I can't even remember which springs are in mine. But think they are race techs.

Works flat trackers on the back. Someone extended their swing arm and couldn't use them any more so I got a deal on them. Am pleased way past the 412's I had that leaked oil.

Lowering looks cool. But that's about it. did it for a whole. Went back to almost stock height. Lowering did me no favors in the handling department.

Have a read of this which seems a reasonable comment. I have Racetech's and am very happy with them.
NB: It is essential that the static sag is set to get the best from them.
Whichever you go for it will be an improvement

I would say skip the progressive springs and go with RaceTech's straight rate + gold valve emulators for the forks.

Agreed.
Note that if you go with emulators you will need a spacer - the damper tube changed in '02.

I have Progressive Springs and couldn't be happier.
They are nice and smooth on the highway and plenty tight in the twisties for my me and I tend to ride pretty hard.

And Max you're right that article does sum it up pretty well:
The Conclusion

For sportsbikes and racing bikes virtually all suspension tuners will recommend linear springs,
but if you have a cruiser or tourer then progressive springs may be the perfect option.

So which are actually best was the original question. You really need to make your own judgement based on your type of bike and what you want from the suspension. This article is only a guide to help you make an informed decision, there is no definative answer!!

Progressive is a smoother overall ride. The racetech is more predictable. Most riders will be happy with both but it's easy to get the wrong spring rate and be too stiff with the racetech. We like to lower but it's not going to be anything that makes a huge improvement like radial tires or even the simple change to the better springs.

Back