Turn key and raw FUEL blows out of my right side air tube from the carbs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you need those rubber plugs. There are jets under those plugs. Those are the ones that typically get plugged up.

If this is picture accurately depicts your float height, you are WAAY off.

You issue seems to be related to the floats or float needle/seat assembly. For some reason the fuel level is rising too high in the carb causing fuel to overflow out the vent tube. Most common causes would be stuck float (could be multiple causes of that), worn float needle and/or seat, float level WAAY off.

The carb section has threads that cover everything you need to know.

I agree about the float. From the carb rebuild link I gave you (which DOES cover the jet block), here is a proper float height.

skitched-20081112-002236.jpg

Those little rubber things are a bear to get back in place. Do they have to go a specific direction? Also, about drilling out the A/F screw... Is this something that I NEED to do? I don't want to mod my vmax at all. It only has a few thousand miles on it and I'm sure that comming off my harley willmake the transfer to this Vmax a pleasent one at it's current HP rating. ;)

No that is not green goo. lol That is a reflection of this web sites green boarder on it when I took the pictures last night.

How does one tell where the floats are supposed to be? The carbs lay on the sid. This makes a gravity position self induced by holding the carb on it's side.

Are there pictures showing how far they are supposed to lay?

Also, about drilling out the A/F screw... Is this something that I NEED to do? I don't want to mod my vmax at all. It only has a few thousand miles on it and I'm sure that comming off my harley willmake the transfer to this Vmax a pleasent one at it's current HP rating. ;)

QUOTE]

Without removing the screw and cleaning those passages it's kinda hard to do a thorough carb rebuild/cleaning.......

It's easy, don't be scared.....

Those little rubber things are a bear to get back in place. Do they have to go a specific direction?

+++If I remember right, the flats on the rubber plugs go towards the carb body so that when you attach the jet block, it sits flat against the carb.

Also, about drilling out the A/F screw... Is this something that I NEED to do? I don't want to mod my vmax at all.

+++ I think you are misinterpreting what is being said. You are not actually drilling thru a screw or modifying the bike. There is a plug that prohibits you from removing or adjusting the A/F screw on each carb. This plug has a tiny hole in it. It is visible in the photo below right next to the tiny, black o-ring that is exposed when you remove the diaphragm cover. What you do is enlarge the existing hole with a drill bit. Be careful not to hit the screw behind the plug! After the hole is enlarged, grap a drywall screw or self tapping screw or similar and snug it up in the hole. Grab the screw with a pair of pliers and pull the plug out. You now will have access to the A/F screws. You can't thoroughly clean the carbs without removing them and you limit you adjustment ability without being able to access them.

DSC_0048.jpg

How does one tell where the floats are supposed to be? The carbs lay on the sid. This makes a gravity position self induced by holding the carb on it's side.

Are there pictures showing how far they are supposed to lay?

Yes, in this thread. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1427

Also, about drilling out the A/F screw...

WOAH WOAH WOAH. Just so it's clear. You're not drilling out the screws!!! Usually there are brass plugs covering the screws. It's these brass plugs that you are drilling out.

{edit}
...I think you are misinterpreting what is being said. You are not actually drilling thru a screw or modifying the bike...
phew, looks like Mike caught ya
{/edit}

Last edited:
WOAH WOAH WOAH. Just so it's clear. You're not drilling out the screws!!! Usually there are brass plugs covering the screws. It's these brass plugs that you are drilling out.

{edit}

phew, looks like Mike caught ya
{/edit}

:rofl_200:

Got it. :)

Wrap some tape around an 1/8" drill bit, about 1/4" up from the end....don't go any farther into the brass plug than the tape and you'll be fine.

You may get a better idea of what's going on by re-assembling the carbs, fab up a fuel supply (hang a bottle upside down, whatever) and feed fuel to them. It's also an easy way to do a 'wet level' float level check/adjustment.

The rubber plugs in the jet blocks prevent fuel 'backfeeding' into the jets, they have to be there, they have to be tight....otherwise, as Mark said, you'll run pig rich.

Do you have a shop service manual....

ps...invest a couple bucks for a new 1/8" drill bit!

Latest posts

Back