Turn key and raw FUEL blows out of my right side air tube from the carbs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supervetteracer

Reaction score
Hope i didn't F anything up too terribly bad. I took apart my carbs on an 01 to clean them. I thought I had everything back together correctly. But when I turn the key to start it I hear the fuel pump running and then it blows fuel out of the (I think they are air tubes) two tubes on each side that attach to the upper air box from the carbs.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? What could I have F'ed up to make this happen? :bang head: Can you think of what I can check?

Hope i didn't F anything up too terribly bad. I took apart my carbs on an 01 to clean them. I thought I had everything back together correctly. But when I turn the key to start it I hear the fuel pump running and then it blows fuel out of the (I think they are air tubes) two tubes on each side that attach to the upper air box from the carbs.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? What could I have F'ed up to make this happen? :bang head: Can you think of what I can check?

Did you close the bowl draining screws? gas coming from these tubes is from the bowls, check & let us know.

Sounds like a stuck float, try tapping the offending carb with the handle of a large-ish screwdriver.

Did you adjust your float levels when they were apart....were they nice and free.

Hate to ask but, did you put back all the needle valves?

Sounds like a stuck float, try tapping the offending carb with the handle of a large-ish screwdriver.

Did you adjust your float levels when they were apart....were they nice and free.

Hate to ask but, did you put back all the needle valves?

Very good question.. Yes I did put back the needle valves. I'm sure of it.

I did not adjust my float levels. Matter of fact, the bike has very few miles on it. Everything already looked clean in there.:confused2:

I'll go wipe it down and tap the offending carbs.

Thanks guys for the immediate help.:punk:

Tapped it with hammer... same thing.. Fuel comes flowing out the air tube, when I clog tha tube it comes out of the hole next to the jet as marked in this picture..????
DSC_0022.jpg

When you had the carbs off did you remove the jet blocks, then pull out the pilot jets and clean them? If you've got a 10 year old bike with low miles I would definetly be checking them.

As far as the raw fuel issue, I agree with danny. Stuck float would be my first suspect.

When you had the carbs off did you remove the jet blocks, then pull out the pilot jets and clean them? If you've got a 10 year old bike with low miles I would definetly be checking them.

As far as the raw fuel issue, I agree with danny. Stuck float would be my first suspect.

Would a stuck float make it come out of the hole I listed?

FWIW: Almost every single phillips head screw on the carbs had to be removed via an impact driver. Is it possible that I have damaged the carbs? Guess I will go ahead and re-pull the carbs now.:a014:

Stuck float will do exactly what you saw.... Old screws are normally very tight, I replace with Stainless Button Heads where posible...

Good Luck

Stuck float will do exactly what you saw.... Old screws are normally very tight, I replace with Stainless Button Heads where posible...

Good Luck

I did replace them with button heads and I am Glad that I did... Looks like I get to do this over.

BTW: If I remove the jet blocks and such will I need new parts to replace them with? I'm not even sure if I know what jet blocks are? Any advise?

I did replace them with button heads and I am Glad that I did... Looks like I get to do this over.

BTW: If I remove the jet blocks and such will I need new parts to replace them with? I'm not even sure if I know what jet blocks are? Any advise?

All your answers are in this great How To thread here.

Welcome to the forum!

Doesn't look like the float was stuck. This is it with top freshly removed.
DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Can you show me where my idle mixture screw is?

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

How do i remove the "Jet Blocks" and where are teh "Pilot Fuel Jets"?

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

The article still doesn't show how to remove the "Jet Blocks".

And for Christs' sake the author naughtyG's avitar .... I can't take my eyes off of ot. All I see are a GREAT PAIR of BOOBIES! And I'm suddenly very jelous of my toilet. lol

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like I am going to be here for a while. :cool: I usually post picts of the girls I pick up on the bikes. ;)

In photo #2, the a/f screw is hiding behind that brass plug on the left-most side of the carb. Use a smallish drill to put a hole in it, then thread a self-tapping screw into it, grab the screw with pliers, and give 'er a wiggle/yank. Should pop right out. The screw is behind it. It's an EPA anti-tamper thing, since adjusting it could adversely affect the bike's emissions. Who cares. One of those "nose picker" tools(i have no idea what they're actually called) for scraping old hoses off their fittings, those work well too.

The jet block is the three-tube shaped thingy in photo #4 right on top. The two philips screws hold it in. You might have to work at it a bit even after removing those two screws if it's never been apart. The pilot jet lives inside one of the tubes, I don't remember where. I'm sure it shows where in the carb rebuild tutorials.

Last pic, float level looks way too high to me.
It would be a good idea to get some jet block gaskets if you pull those off. From Yamaha.

In photo #2, the a/f screw is hiding behind that brass plug on the left-most side of the carb. Use a smallish drill to put a hole in it, then thread a self-tapping screw into it, grab the screw with pliers, and give 'er a wiggle/yank. Should pop right out. The screw is behind it. It's an EPA anti-tamper thing, since adjusting it could adversely affect the bike's emissions. Who cares. One of those "nose picker" tools(i have no idea what they're actually called) for scraping old hoses off their fittings, those work well too.

The jet block is the three-tube shaped thingy in photo #4 right on top. The two philips screws hold it in. You might have to work at it a bit even after removing those two screws if it's never been apart. The pilot jet lives inside one of the tubes, I don't remember where. I'm sure it shows where in the carb rebuild tutorials.

Cool... Got the Jet block out and cleaned. But none of these things look dirty.

How important is it that I get the A/F screw out? I'm concerned about drilling on my carbs. My drill bits are not the best and I'm concerned I may do some damage. Is this needed to cleanthe carbs?

Yes, you need those rubber plugs. There are jets under those plugs. Those are the ones that typically get plugged up.

If this is picture accurately depicts your float height, you are WAAY off.

DSC_0044.jpg

Check the carb section and look at the sitickies. There is a thread in there showing how to set float height. They need to be set correctly. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean. Inspect the float needle and seat, make sure it is sealing. Make sure the float pivot is not bent. Shake the floats and listen for fuel. Not very common that they leak though.

You issue seems to be related to the floats or float needle/seat assembly. For some reason the fuel level is rising too high in the carb causing fuel to overflow out the vent tube. Most common causes would be stuck float (could be multiple causes of that), worn float needle and/or seat, float level WAAY off.

The carb section has threads that cover everything you need to know.

Back