Turn signal issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny5

Reaction score
I obviously put together something wrong...I figured I would ask the experts to shorten my hunt for the fault.

The turn signals work opposite of the way they should. Turn left on, right flashes, and turn right on, left flashes. Both front and back.

Did I wire the front AND the tail wrong or is it something else.

Thanks in advance.

J5

I obviously put together something wrong...I figured I would ask the experts to shorten my hunt for the fault.

The turn signals work opposite of the way they should. Turn left on, right flashes, and turn right on, left flashes. Both front and back.

Did I wire the front AND the tail wrong or is it something else.

Thanks in advance.

J5

Were you playing with new turn signals? or the switch on the handlebars.

Stock turn signals...switch on bars may be from my other max as well as the signals. Too many parts, both bikes were in pieces, this one is about to be on the road again.

Check your wiring. On mine, left side should be chocolate to chocolate. Right, dark green to dark green. That's for both front and rear signals.

Ok, front..chocolate, chocolate...green, green...didnt check the back, I'm lazy. My problem is???? besides being a lazy ass.

J5

Ok, front..chocolate, chocolate...green, green...didnt check the back, I'm lazy. My problem is???? besides being a lazy ass.

J5

"Your problem is" sooooo tempting to comment on this, but I dont want today to be my last with this screen name yet.. so I will be ... anyways..

You switched the wires dude.. You plugged the left signal wire into the right side blinkers and vice versa.. check your wiring color code..

You can tell me straight LY... I can take it, and if I'm not offended then no harm right? Or maybe not, if it's you!:biglaugh:

Thanks guys, I switched the wires.

front now working green/brown green/brown

back now working green/green brown/brown.

:ummm:

Sounds like you switched the front signals themselves, not the wires. Swap the front signals and wire correctly and should work.

Sounds like you switched the front signals themselves, not the wires. Swap the front signals and wire correctly and should work.

There is no such thing in part number for a left or a right turn signal.
All it is a bulb and the bulb doesnt know if its a left or right bulb.

Solution: ride the bike backwards, that way the signals will appear to be correct.

There is no such thing in part number for a left or a right turn signal.
All it is a bulb and the bulb doesnt know if its a left or right bulb.

If you move the turn signal to the other side without changing the wire hookup, it will flash incorrectly. ie; If everything is working correctly and you move the signal to the other side, it will appear that the signal is flashing incorrectly. Moving it to the other side forces you to change the wiring hookup to get it right.

If you move the turn signal to the other side without changing the wire hookup, it will flash incorrectly. ie; If everything is working correctly and you move the signal to the other side, it will appear that the signal is flashing incorrectly. Moving it to the other side forces you to change the wiring hookup to get it right.

Hmmm Ohhh k I am going to mark my turn signals as soon as I get home to prevent this.
Does it matter if I use a left or right handed screw driver?

Since I sooooo love to set you straight Lankee let me enlighten you.

Though the turn signals on and of thier own do not matter which side they are on the factory does in fact make 4 different signals. The fronts and rears could be swapped side to side but not front and back. The reason they make 4 different signals is that each one has it's own color combinations. So, if installed on the correct side it's a simple matter of matching up the wire color and plugging them in. Where this complicated the matter here was his front signals are from two different bikes since they are both the same color wiring and even the harness sounds honked up.

In fact, if you look at the stock signals where the chrome housing bolts to the stalk you'll see the pinch bolts should all face the same direction (down) and if you have the signals as an assembly installed no the wrong side the bolts will be facing incorrectly.

So, yes - they are simple electrical devices but yes - they are intended to go on a specific side. Now, once you get aftermarket signals then it really doesn't make much difference.

Sean

Thanks for your input, Sean. It seemed so simple to me but I guess I was having trouble getting it across.

Back