UFO fork brace

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a problem with the fork brace pushing the forks apart to much. I feel like my fork brace is spreading the forks and therfor not allowing the proper movement. When I get on the bike there is zero sag or movement in the front forks. Not sure if there is a front or back to the brace that would make a difference? Any info or suggestions would help.

Thanks.

I would remove it to see if you get some movement when you get on the bike. If you have your stock brace you can measure it against it.
I measure 130.00 mm from c/l to c/l of mounting holes of my Python fork brace. I have a '92, which is the older style forks, so that measurement should be the same for you.
You are using the spacer is on the axle which should be between the wheel and r fork leg.

Very nice redbone! Thanks, just what I needed. I assume the UFO fork race is symmetrical and if I spun it 180 it shouldn't make a difference. Either way I planned on taking it off and see but that dimension will be nice to have.

what happens if you take the bolts out of the brace? do the holes line up?

So I removed my front wheel, removed the fender and fork brace. With all this removed the forks slide as they should. After looking over everything I determined that the bottom side of the fork brace was out of spec. The two parallel surfaces where pushing out on the forks. The bolts still went in due to some play in the diameter of the bolt and the hole size in the brace. I shaved down some of the parallel edges tested a few things and put it all back together. Everything works perfect now. So I think a combination of an originally out of spec brace and possibly my front forks being chromed added to things not working. Not really sure about the chrome. Not sure how much thickness that adds. I didn't think it would be much at all and less than powder but may have contributed. So in conclusion about 1.5mm of change so the forks don't bow out around the brace made them go from not functioning at all basically solid front end to everything working perfect.
rezaqyra.jpg

That's good news, glad it's good to go now. Must have missed a pass on the CNC or something because I don't think chrome is thick enough, could be wrong though.:confused2:

Yeah, I assume a chrome plate would only add a few hundredths, even w/the multiple dips.

I found this:

What's the Maximum Thickness of Hard Chrome Plating?
Q. What could the the maximum thickness of hard chrome plating that can be deposited on ferrous metal after which the layer starts disintegrating?
Is there any measure of adhesion which can be checked, if so, the method to check?
A. If properly applied, there is no set limit to the thickness of hard chrome, but as a general rule, chromium is most stable on ferrous alloys in the range of 0.0005 to about 0.025 in a single application. Chromium deposits over 0.025 per side can begin to become rough with build up at edges and pitting. Success with thick chromium deposits has a lot to do with the initial surface finish of the base metal.
When applicable, "after plate finish requirements", i.e., uniformity, mimimum thickness, surface micro finish and micro-crack acceptance level, dictate the best chromium procedure to follow. The initial set up, tooling and especially anoding procedures, are critical steps to achieving the most success.
Chromium deposits can be applied in numerous ways, with a variety of results to achieve specific customer requirements. One such procedure is to apply a layer of chromium over top a layer of nickel, when coating thickness requirements exceed 0.025 (per side).
http://www.nmfrc.org/crarchive/sep07a.cfm

Here's one I installed (the headlight too) yesterday, a Superbrace:

Attachments

• hlight.9 forkbrace.JPG
    hlight.9 forkbrace.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Hlight.10 frontview.JPG
    Hlight.10 frontview.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 30
Seans vendor states .003-.004" thickness for typical show chrome.

I had some issues with tolerance stack up after having the upper tubes on my USD forks chromed, the triples hard anodized, and the extensions hard anodized. I had to have the extension stripped, and turned down .006. Then I had them chromed instead of anodized. Everything fit great after that.

I don't blame the chrome at all. Maybe the brace itself, but more just throwing the info/experience on here in case someone ever has this issue. I think I ran all last summer with basically solid front forks. Just glad I didn't damage anything. It is interesting to hear of other issues though, not that's it nice to hear but nice to know I'm not alone with some issues.

Don't know if this applies but if I remember correctly, my Superbrace was asymmetrical and had to be installed in one direction. It wasn't very far off and could have been installed incorrectly, especially if installed with the wheel off. :confused2: Not sure if you checked that. Even a little off could cause a problem.

Don't know if this applies but if I remember correctly, my Superbrace was asymmetrical and had to be installed in one direction. It wasn't very far off and could have been installed incorrectly, especially if installed with the wheel off. :confused2: Not sure if you checked that. Even a little off could cause a problem.

Yeah, the "Superbrace" engraving is supposed to "face-up!" not towards the fender...:rofl_200:

Attachments

• Hlight.6 forkbrace.JPG
    Hlight.6 forkbrace.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 19
  • hlight.9 forkbrace.JPG
    hlight.9 forkbrace.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 18
Yeah, the "Superbrace" engraving is supposed to "face-up!" not towards the fender...:rofl_200:

It can be reversed without turning it upside down... However the Superbrace printing would be facing inside so that is an easy catch. Don't think UFO's has any markings so not such an easy catch... :biglaugh:

It can be reversed without turning it upside down... However the Superbrace printing would be facing inside so that is an easy catch. Don't think UFO's has any markings so not such an easy catch... :biglaugh:

Without getting a caliper out to be sure it seems my UFO brace is symmetrical and cannot be put on incorrectly any way possible. It does have an emblem on the top side that could face forward or back. Like I said not confirmed with a caliper though.

My Python does not have the drop down piece that fits between the forks, in other words it's flat on the bottom. I think the designs like the SuperBrace are stronger.
I may upgrade the frontend one day but for now with Progressive springs lowered 1" internally/ Ricor intiminators/ and 15wt oil has worked ok. I'm sure now that I have the swingarm braced it will prove to be the weak link once I get on the twisties.

Back