Uneven brake pad wear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question about this: do you need a special tool to reinsert the piston after it's been taken out?

What I usually do is, once the pads are out, I pump the brake a couple of times to expose more of the piston's surface, then clean it up as best I can before pressing it back in. I know it's not as good as dismantling it all the way, but I've had trouble trying to put pistons back into calipers so I'm a little wary now..

good idea. better than nothing

what do u guys use to press the pistons back in?

Usually a 'C' clamp, if there's enough room...if not, then a wide bladed screwdriver with thin sheet metal to protect the piston surface.

so not all that different from my cloth/cardboard and robo grip method.

When I take them apart and clean them I install by hand with no tools. That's how smoothly they should go back in. BUT, for quick changes the clamp or vice grips work too.

Sean

If you have completely disassembled them and are having trouble installing the pistons, put the pistons in the freezer for a little while. They'll shrink down and make installation a breeze.

Back