V-Max for two up?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawasakis3

Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether or not I could use a V-Max for light touring with my wife on the back? Are there any aftermarket seats that would be comfortable for the rear passenger? I'm sure there is a rack system for a tail pack or maybe saddlebags out there. I guess my main concern would be comfort and legroom for a rear passenger. I currently own an 06 Suzuki C90T that we use for touring. I also own an 06 Kawasaki Z1000 and the wife has an 09 Triumph Bonneville. I guess I just want to break from the cruiser/bagger Suzuki, any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Been riding for 45 yrs now and have owned 29 motorcycles through the years and always wanted a V-Max. Thanks and ride safely.

There are options in seats. The Maxgasser Seat is made by a member here or Corbin may fit your needs. There are racks for Garbage Trunks and Saddle Bags available. CaptainKyle , member here may still have a used set of bags reasonable... Your shortcoming will be fuel, you'll be stopping every 120 to 130 miles for gas. Unless you can spend a small fortune on axillary tanks.

Good Luck,,

What your asking has been and is currently being done but truthfully, Vmax and touring is an oxymoron. First off for the reason SpecOps mentioned, terrible range. Ergonomics can be made better but it is still putting lip stick on a pig. Don't buy a Vmax to go two up touring, buy it cause you always wanted one and will be cranking the throttle every chance you get and love the sound of a snarly attitude filled V-four under your balls. There are a million other bikes that will do what you seek cheaper, safer and more comfortably. Good luck with your search.

My vmax is my best wing man. i ride 2 up alot. No complaints from any of the women who ride on the back.

Back in '85 when I bought my Max, I took a lady on a ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway from Buffalo NY. We camped every night, and were on the road almost 2 weeks. Aside from a lack of space to move around on the seat, things went fine. I took my wife on a tour - again the BRP in 1988, and pulled a trailer with the Max for about 5 years in the early 90's. We did the annual ride to Americade, again with no problems. Certainly not a lack of power!

My definition of a "Touring Bike" is a bike that is toured on. I find my VMax completely versatile, and would have no problem getting on it and taking off for a week, or a month - solo or 2-up.

I always have the wife on the back of the max. Its gotten more comfy for the wife since I bought the sportmax seat from Danny. Kuryakyn universal highway pegs make the ride nice for me, so I can stretch my legs out. We have a set of universal leather saddlebags that are just hung on the bike, laced under the rear seat. Even though they look like crap, they are great for carrying our overnight necessities. (and the occasional "beer run"!) A windshield is also a nice addition to have if you are on the highway alot. I don't think the fuel capacity is a problem either, due to the fact that after 100 miles we are ready to get off for a stretch anyways. I guess it really depends on what you are use to riding....I came from a crotch rocket, so the max is like a cabin cruiser to me!

I agree with Bob ( above ) , I ride my RC51 mainly , which I would NOT go 2-up on . I bought my second V Max just for taking my wife along on rides . Ergonomics and mileage are only slight concerns , but then again it's what YOU want out of a bike that's the ultimate decision maker .

Both the MaxGasser and the Muscle Seats are comfortable two-up, even the Corbin seat's ok.

For longer range I'd always recommend a sheep skin cover - really help yer butt breathing and that makes a big difference.

For luggage check out my pictures, RichWrench made me a custom rack (which CaptainKyle still has 4 sale I believe) on which you can attach any standard top box.

I had FatMax hard bags which were great but they are expensive ($700/pair new)

But honestly, for 'light touring' all you need is a decent seat and a comfy backpack for the wifey.

Enjoy!

My wife and I have done thousand of miles 2up riding over the years. So can the max be used for touring, hell ya! Is it a goldwing or FJR1300, hell no, but with a few accessories, it makes a good tourer that converts back to a naked cruiser easily.

It would suggest saddlebags (of course), highway pegs/engine guards, a good seat, Maxgasser, Morley Muscle, Corbin, windshield, back rest, etc...

Here's a pic of my bike set up for mild touring, I also have bigger saddlebags for longer tours. At one time, I had a tour tank for extra mileage too, but have since sold it.

Mike

Attachments

• touringmax.jpg
    touringmax.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 104
its got power and the riding position isnt bad, you just have to have a way to stretch your legs. youve gotta have a backrest, (duh) and the range on the bike isnt good.

if thats your riding style id pass on the vmax. and it is a cramped up ride with a passenger

its got power and the riding position isnt bad, you just have to have a way to stretch your legs. youve gotta have a backrest, (duh) and the range on the bike isnt good.

if thats your riding style id pass on the vmax. and it is a cramped up ride with a passenger

All you need is forward controls , leaning on your companion is all good .

What your asking has been and is currently being done but truthfully, Vmax and touring is an oxymoron. First off for the reason SpecOps mentioned, terrible range. Ergonomics can be made better but it is still putting lip stick on a pig. Don't buy a Vmax to go two up touring, buy it cause you always wanted one and will be cranking the throttle every chance you get and love the sound of a snarly attitude filled V-four under your balls. There are a million other bikes that will do what you seek cheaper, safer and more comfortably. Good luck with your search.

At every red light I feel like she looks back at me with a question. Are we going to jump down on the throttle or a lazy slow roll to top of 2nd and light it up. I lit the back tire up one day coming off a red light damned police was behind me lmao. Got pulled over and he walked up laughing. I have been stopped twice hot doggin once after a rolling burn out and another standing on the back wheel in downtown Nashville got off both times I think because it's just a badass bike and not a traditional rice burner.

Any thoughts on whether or not I could use a V-Max for light touring with my wife on the back?
It's not a bike you want to do that with. Maybe the Gen 2 is different, but the Gen 1 Vmax when you ride two up the front wheel leaves the ground very, very, very easily.

There are far better bikes to chose from for touring. The Vmax isn't one of them in my opinion.

I would look into a Sport Touring bike like the FJR or go all in on a Goldwing.

If you can afford and keep 4 bikes , I would suggest adding the VMax to the equation. Short touring is fine. Gas tank limits your cruising distance without stopping , but when 2 up , my lady or I have to stop and pee every hundred miles or less anyway.

Attachments

• Rollie's '90 At The Dragon   55 (2).jpg
    Rollie's '90 At The Dragon 55 (2).jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 21
Been a passenger on our V-max for years, the stock back rest is a MUST. Snuggles you in at the center of your back and keeps you on the damn thing. Do NOT for the LOVE OF GOD go without the back rest. Any time you get into the V boost, your passenger will be terrified.

If you plan on touring for 80 miles or less, you betcha! Super fun bike for that. More mileage than that, get a different tour bike.

Some of the luggage packs that we have put on over the years require that you move the rear blinkers to accomodate for the bags and or racks. Not sure if you want to make those mods, but those back blinkers are right in the way. And do it the right way, or you risk cracking your rear fender.

But, it is always you and your passenger that have to make the decision.

Back