ventur drive shaft bar and changing the arm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uri gal

Reaction score
Two years ago i installed a venture driveshaft (pumpkin)
I remember that when i got the parts i saw that the drive shaft bar of the venture was longer comper to my vmax original one...about one inch.
Now i wanna order a longer swing arm from Tom from cycle one off and this is the isiuu:
Tom will provide me a longer bar with the longer arm that fit to his longer swing arm.....so.....if i would had the original vmax pumpkin - ther was no question.but this is not the case, because now i have the venture pumpkin on my bike and i just cannot remmeber if two year ago i installed the venture (longer) bar or just leaved the vmax (shorter) bar.
Why is important ? If installed (two years ago) the original bar to the venture pumpkin so i dont have to say to Tom noting, if i used the venture longer bar , so i will have to ask Tom to make me a longer bar for this gap.
I just cannot remember if i leaved the original bar or i used the venture bar when i was install it two years ago.
I have no room for mistke, Tom leave in USA and im in Israel

Please help

I installed a Venture final drive two years ago. I used the original v-max driveshaft. Everything fit O.K. (I did not have a Venture driveshaft, in any case)
Since the axial dimensions of both final drives are the same, the Venture driveshaft must be longer because of the Venture swingarm -consequently, a Venture driveshaft fitted to the V-max would be too long.
Others that have done this conversion - please verify this!
So, I would say that you have the original v-max shaft on your bike.
Cheers!

The Venture and Vmax diff's are interchangable with no relationship to the driveshaft. You keep the Vmax driveshaft with a Vmax swingarm. You keep the Venture driveshaft with a Venture arm. If you get a longer swingarm (which we also make) you want to get the driveshaft extended the same amount.

O.k. thanks for all the answers.
Sean- wher i can see your swing arms? Can you add a link ?

A strached swingarm (3"+) and brace will improve handling ? What corners ?

A strached swingarm (3"+) and brace will improve handling ? What corners ?

The brace stiffens the bike so it doesn't wiggle when you push it hard in the turns. If you don't ride hard enough to feel it now, I can't see the brace making much difference.

The longer swingarm eliminates wheelies for the most part. It makes the bike feel more stable in a straight like. It makes the bike less nimble in turns.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I installed a Venture final drive two years ago. I used the original v-max driveshaft. Everything fit O.K. (I did not have a Venture driveshaft, in any case)
Since the axial dimensions of both final drives are the same, the Venture driveshaft must be longer because of the Venture swingarm -consequently, a Venture driveshaft fitted to the V-max would be too long.
Others that have done this conversion - please verify this!
So, I would say that you have the original v-max shaft on your bike.
Cheers!

Venture drive shaft is 1.25 in longer with the same spline set up as VMax. The extra length should only go on a modded Venture swingarm, not the oem VMax swingarm.

I did the modded venture swingarm. It is a way to stiffen the swingarm, extend the rear tire, and drop the rear end.

Oem swingarm:

c444ab8851fc1bdc3f2832a4cd2b7bea.jpg
Image1459415418.496200.jpg

Venture swingarm:

b9596d5ecdcf76c8eef50ec77169801f.jpg
12e4ef4f854ba858509a22bc58009065.jpg

The Venture swingarm does need modifications to pickup the rear brake bracket bar, the shock mount, brake line mounts and some stepped bushings to use the VMax swingarm bolts in the larger Venture bearings.

That looks.............. PERFECT!

Now; who did the work on the swingarm? I need detailssssssssss!

I've been wanting to do this to my Vmax since the day I got it. When I went to Radials, the rear tire seems to fit the bike better, but I always thought that if I could just stretch the arm an inch or two, it would be perfect. I always hated how the fender sort of hangs back a bit and doesn't hug the tire's arc just right.
The added bonus is that the Venture arm is stronger. I'm on 12.5" Progressive 418's on the rear, but I can always change that for a bit longer shocks so I don't drop the rear any more than I am right now.

Pleaseeeeeeeeee give me details so I can make the Venture Diff my next project.

*I'm going to start searching here for 'Venture Swingarm,' but still, if you have some info for me, it would be much appreciated.
The arm pic you posted is exactly what I would want, only painted or powedercoated the original silver color to match what I have now.

Thanks,
Vinnie

Here are some pictures of my bike that has Sean's 3" stretched and braced swingarm.
Note that the shocks bottom mounts are moved forward 2.5" on the swingarm keeping the shocks close to original angle.
Shocks are 13" in length, and wheels are both 18" with the rear carrying a 200 width tire. The rear rotor is a standard sized 282mm unit with R1 caliper and HH pads.

IMG_2081 (8-24-2013 8!27!04 AM).jpg IMG_2082 (8-24-2013 8!27!04 AM).jpg IMG_2057.jpg thumb_1403650549DAVE6098.jpg

Last edited:
That looks.............. PERFECT!

Now; who did the work on the swingarm? I need detailssssssssss!

I've been wanting to do this to my Vmax since the day I got it. When I went to Radials, the rear tire seems to fit the bike better, but I always thought that if I could just stretch the arm an inch or two, it would be perfect. I always hated how the fender sort of hangs back a bit and doesn't hug the tire's arc just right.
The added bonus is that the Venture arm is stronger. I'm on 12.5" Progressive 418's on the rear, but I can always change that for a bit longer shocks so I don't drop the rear any more than I am right now.

Pleaseeeeeeeeee give me details so I can make the Venture Diff my next project.

*I'm going to start searching here for 'Venture Swingarm,' but still, if you have some info for me, it would be much appreciated.
The arm pic you posted is exactly what I would want, only painted or powedercoated the original silver color to match what I have now.

Thanks,
Vinnie

I gathered details from bits and pieces on this sight. Ended up buying a 2001 venture swingarm and driveshaft. I had all of the modifications done at a local shop.

There is some welding and machine work required to make things fit right.

The hard part was making sure that the shock mount is properly located.

The newer star swingarm has even more bracing then the venture arm. I still prefer our 3" arm lol.

The newer star swingarm has even more bracing then the venture arm. I still prefer our 3" arm lol.

I also like the way that you brace the stock arm. Reduces flex and still allows the center stand.

If I didn't have access to my local shop, I would have gone for either Your braced original or your extended.

I gathered details from bits and pieces on this sight. Ended up buying a 2001 venture swingarm and driveshaft. I had all of the modifications done at a local shop.

There is some welding and machine work required to make things fit right.

The hard part was making sure that the shock mount is properly located.

Thanks for that info. I've been searching here and will continue because I want to make this my next project.

I just ordered a used Venture swingarm from eBay. I'll get to work on that when it arrives. It's not something I need 'right now' but will get it all prepped and ready and then hopefully plan at the end of season to get it swapped over.

*Anyone know where to get the stud for the rear drive unit? I want to pick one up and then fabricate a bracket to weld onto the Venture swingarm's left side. That way I'll lhave the same stud on both sides. One that sits in my stock rear drive on the left, and then another that will thread into my bracket on the right.

I'll get to ordering the Venture shaft also.

Thanks again for the info,
Vinnie

Good luck with it. I am happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info. I've been searching here and will continue because I want to make this my next project.

I just ordered a used Venture swingarm from eBay. I'll get to work on that when it arrives. It's not something I need 'right now' but will get it all prepped and ready and then hopefully plan at the end of season to get it swapped over.

*Anyone know where to get the stud for the rear drive unit? I want to pick one up and then fabricate a bracket to weld onto the Venture swingarm's left side. That way I'll lhave the same stud on both sides. One that sits in my stock rear drive on the left, and then another that will thread into my bracket on the right.

I'll get to ordering the Venture shaft also.

Thanks again for the info,
Vinnie

I bought one from an on line parts distributor. 90116-10249-00, for not too much. I'll bet Sean has them.

Is this Star swing-arm a bolt on for the Gen1?

This is the one I ended up modifying to work:

ed067fa07268dbf328f2d5671b09ce48.jpg

As compared to the original:
f01afa6701fac87cce5d928ebdd64848.jpg

Mods required:

Stepped bearing inserts to use existing VMax swingarm bolts
Longer driveshaft - direct fit
Removal of monoshock mounts
Addition of rear shock mount bracket and bolt
Addition of rear brake arm mount
Addition of rear brake line clips
Longer rear brake line