Vgas carbs & functional scoops.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Yes I know ufo's customer support isn't highly rated around these parts. Lets put that aside for one moment and look at the products.

I'm going to look at a V max for sale built by ufo tomorrow. Its decked out with bunches of ufo and aftermarket parts. Cant remember all the details from the conversation. The only thing it didn't have was a big bore engine. 138 rwhp

The one thing that caught my attention was the Vgas carbs it had. Stacks with no filter. And the fact that ufo "might" be offering functional scoops to work with their Vgas carbs. He described the sound of the Vgas flat sides like "horse hooves":confused2:

Does anyone have any info about these ufo scoops? Or if they like their Vgas carbs.?

I don't like the vgas other then looks. The do clack when set correctly at idle. They get crap fuel mileage. AND, every single engine we have taken in to do work on with them in place has had catastrophic engine failure which could not be repaired. I think a filtered setup would prevent that. BUT, there are risks for having filters (and they would look dumb on the vgas).

Sean

I don't like the vgas other then looks. every single engine we have taken in to do work on with them in place has had catastrophic engine failure which could not be repaired.
Sean

Thanks for info Sean.

Meanmax has a set....maybe he could tell you his experiences:confused2:

I don't like the vgas other then looks. The do clack when set correctly at idle. They get crap fuel mileage. AND, every single engine we have taken in to do work on with them in place has had catastrophic engine failure which could not be repaired. I think a filtered setup would prevent that. BUT, there are risks for having filters (and they would look dumb on the vgas).

Sean

Other thoughts about these V-gas carb setup is that they are not protected from the weather/environment. If it rains, you risk getting rain in your engine. I know they make rain covers for them, but they look and seem ridiculous. As Sean states, these other than looks are not the best setup. Have you considered looking at flatslides? I know a bunch of people that run them and like them. I'm sure Sean can chime in on these too. I know they will give you better performance and will be protected from the environmentals.

Just my 2 cents....

Mike

The Vgas is the same flatslides but in a different configuration. The standard versions can have filters made for them too but won't look as goofy. The rain bonnets work just fine. Small amounts of water will not hurt the engine while it's running but if too much gets in there while it's not running then that could be a problem.

Sean

Have you considered looking at flatslides? Mike

Im 'thinking about' looking at a bike for sale that has them already. The unfiltered air, and Seans comment about "catastrophic engine failure" has me concerned. I mean some asshole could just drop something into your engine if they wanted to.

If someone said ufo is selling the funtional scoops and they have some sort of filter protection inside I would be very interested in this used bike.

With most bikes you wouldn't have a problem running "stacks" (a non-filtered cone) but with the VGAS the carbs are positioned differently.

Yes - They LOOK cool but they also suck in a lot of dirt and moisture
and unless you have the right set up they're going to run like crap on the street.

Yankee

Sean

Interesting... when I talked to Damon about his, he had the opposite to say with motors he had apart.

Maybe he's taking apart good running engines. Look in the pics on the Morleys Muscle facebook site. Two of the almost worst engines were both Vgas equipped. One had just been to Daytona and I suspect sucked in a small pebble but not sure. The other was idling in his driveway from completing a ride when it shelled out. I'm not sure the 2nd one was due to carbs though that's what it had. I pulled the rod out of the oil pan in a couple of pieces.

Sean

I agree with you, I wouldn't want to run a motor with no air filter.. especially with my luck with motors! :biglaugh: . I just found it interesting that he had examples of no issues... must have been in a place where there is no dirt.

I agree with you, I wouldn't want to run a motor with no air filter.. especially with my luck with motors! :biglaugh: . I just found it interesting that he had examples of no issues... must have been in a place where there is no dirt.

Yea..I went on the road trip. Dans a nice guy. Beautiful bike the ufo chrome illusions bike Jon Cornell built I must say. He invited me to ride it. I don't like riding other peoples bikes, and on top of that I was worried a button on my shirt would fly off and trash the engine. It did sound mean though. And I believe his whp claim.

I need to take a trip to Mt. Zion now.

Last edited:
Jon Cornell wrote me back and said this..

"Mike finishing up on the billet intake right now. Ready by August. Vacuum operated functional butterflies and air filtration as well. $850 per set."

Sure wish Dan would come down on his asking price cuz functional scoops would be way cool!

Maybe a great item there! My concern, after costs, is the level of knee discomfort. I hate to harp on this, though I drove my own UFO bike with the 100mm stacks that came with the MAX, and it was cruel. I smart when I think of it.............

Maybe a great item there! My concern, after costs, is the level of knee discomfort. I hate to harp on this, though I drove my own UFO bike with the 100mm stacks that came with the MAX, and it was cruel. I smart when I think of it.............

Yea. Your knee is right on the stack. But the stacks are gone with the functional scoops.

Attachments

• prototype Maxair home page2.jpg
    prototype Maxair home page2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 72
His scoops, looks an awful lot like this guy's set up that's been out a while.
http://www.ramair4vmax.com/products/products.htm

Look good.

Thing is.. I think Jon's setup is the only one that actually works.

I dont know how many times Iv been asked..

"Wow those scoops look great.. Do they work?" And I look down, " Naw.. just covers"

And my son keeps nagging me about that as well.

2 that i know of, both mentioned in this thread.

Latest posts

Back