Well we yanked my motor!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
As some of you know I broke the damper cam to my drive assembly recently doing a nice fat wheelie and now have to tear my motor apart...GROOVEY!

ANYWAYS! I took some pictures just to keep ya guys in the loop as to where shes at thus far.
Were already tearing the whole motor down so new gaskets and a switch of fluids all around will make the bike much more reliable,as well as new jetting, some smoothing on the intakes and cylinder honing is in order to make her run real nice when it goes back together.

THE QUESTION IS: please share any suggestions for what you would suggest doing to make the bike either more relieble or powerfull on a tight budget if you had the motor open anyways? Examples like upgrade oil pump,valve job and so on. So far I would like to upgrade the oil pump,do a valve job,see what all is intaled the process of doing a 5th gear overdrive,have the cylinders honed

A couple good buddies helpin me tear her down and put her back together,a case of beer and my boxer are all it takes to make it happen.
So far all thats left on tear down is actually opening the case.Im lucky to have such good buddies cause Im in a LITTLE over my head on this one doin it alone.

Attachments

• DSCN1611.JPG
    DSCN1611.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN1612.JPG
    DSCN1612.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1613.JPG
    DSCN1613.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN1614.JPG
    DSCN1614.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1616.JPG
    DSCN1616.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1618.JPG
    DSCN1618.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1620.JPG
    DSCN1620.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 65
Good luck on the build, take some notes, some guys say pictures but that is kinda unrealistic when you are covered with oil and grease. I recommend putting parts in plastic bags vs. leaving them out in the open. Bag assemblies together.

As far as upgrades, it all costs money. Hard to say if we don't know a budget. Stroker crank, custom piston, cams, carrillo rods....

I'd do the o-ring fix. Get with sean about his HD oiling upgrade. Not sure if you've ever upgraded the shift segment but that would be another thing that I would definitely do. Not really going to gain any speed from these things but they help reliability.

I see you already upgraded the clutch with a Barnett coil spring conversion. Did you replace the half friction with a full friction disc and toss the boss spring, spring seat, and wire retainer?

Not sure what kind of riding you do but before I went and spent the money on the 5th gear OD, I'd probably look into backcutting what I have just to keep it together.

Just remember, it always costs more and takes longer than you expect. Figure out what NEEDS to be done, write down all the costs, add a little extra just in case, and then you will have a better idea of how much you have left to work with.

yea the HD oiling upgrade is a bitch to do the circlip with the engine in. took me 2.5 hours and half of my tools throw across the garage. mike is right on. valve adjustment would be a must as you noted.

i'd do the starter clutch too while you're in there if youhaven't already.

Mr Morley (one2dmax) would be your best contact here. I believe he lives inside a VMax motor! :biglaugh: You should PM him as he will probably give you his home number so you can talk to him if you run into trouble.

some smoothing on the intakes and cylinder honing is in order to make her run real nice when it goes back together.

I wouldn't smooth the intake at all, As far as head work goes Engines like the roughness (feels like 0 or 00 sandpaper) in the intake. it helps atomize the fuel. The exhaust side loves the smoothness. If you want, you can always mill the head a little to up your compression ratio a tad.

Good call on the intake KJ but I shoulda been more specific. The PO fried the vboost so I removed it long ago btg left the butterflies inside the intake pinned open, now I plan on pulling the butterflies out and putting steel tubing where the cross feeds used to be, that's what I meant by smoothing the intake. I was not aware of the pointer about the intake roughness, that's very neat. Thank you for that!

Heads did not need to come off for the trans repair but put our ARP studs in it while you are at it.

Sean

See I told these guys the heads didn't have to come off but then we got to talkin bout it and decided they DID need to come off because none of us really know exactly what were doin! Really wishing the manual wasn't such a piece of shit now. It's bout as clear as mud.

See I told these guys the heads didn't have to come off but then we got to talkin bout it and decided they DID need to come off because none of us really know exactly what were doin! Really wishing the manual wasn't such a piece of shit now. It's bout as clear as mud.

I've got a copy of Damon Ferriallulo (SP?) engine assembly video and it is FANTASTIC!

Yes the manual sucks

Factory service manuals aren't really ment for the firsttime/DIY person. Usally they are for seasoned mechanics.

Yeah I'm thinkin we need the "didn't plan on pulling the motor and now your in over your head cause Yamaha whent cheap on the drive train back in the 80's" version of the manual...

The motor was running TITS when I pulled it, all this over a $40 part that was evidently made out of pot metal or somthing cause it couldn't withstand a lil wheelie over the train tracks. I'm the first one Sean has seen brake this component so I'm thinkin I deserve a tiny trophy because Sean has seen it all.

Factory service manuals aren't really ment for the firsttime/DIY person. Usally they are for seasoned mechanics.
I am a mechanic for a living, and I can tell you that all Yamaha factory service manuals that I have ever seen SUCK! I just finished building a yamaha tw200 engine for my son, and following the service manual was a joke. I finally gave up and built it from memory, referring to the manual for torque specs only. They need to have their tech department give Honda a call..... they know how to write a service manual!

I am a mechanic for a living, and I can tell you that all Yamaha factory service manuals that I have ever seen SUCK! I just finished building a yamaha tw200 engine for my son, and following the service manual was a joke. I finally gave up and built it from memory, referring to the manual for torque specs only. They need to have their tech department give Honda a call..... they know how to write a service manual!
+ 1 Yamaha manuals suck Honda has everything in there manuals they rock !

Agree, Yamy manuals suck. The haynes manual is downloadable on this site. A post from Prez has it. Good luck with your build.
Steve-0

Look at it like this the motor is out so you have some friends with some mechanical know how and with the help of others on this site it will be a breeze . Alot of Good People on here who have the patients to get things done right, just take your time!. Kurt

Back