What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally (knock on wood) no broken parts to fix and so now have time to do some preventative fork maintenance (plus some performance upgrades, hehehehe) that's been overdue for a few months now. almost done with the first fork ( took a break to see what the forum is up to )

Waiting on a t-stat and seals. Found the elusive coolant leak after removing stock exhaust. Should have parts tomorrow. Can't wait to get Mark's iinstalled. Bike was running a tad lean and I have a feeling not much tuning needed. Will be at the dyno before summer though. Looking fwd to Sean's 38mm carb results, sounds like a winner to me.
Steve-o

I just got my Vgas running for the first time this year. New clutch, kerker and ram-air scoops. It didnt run right on the mains. I hope it was my airbound fuel filter.

Attachments

• vmaxspring2011 002.jpg
    vmaxspring2011 002.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 34
  • vmaxspring2011 003.jpg
    vmaxspring2011 003.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 33
I just got my Vgas running for the first time this year. New clutch, kerker and ram-air scoops. It didn't run right on the mains. I hope it was my air bound fuel filter.
i . YOUR PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE TO CRACK OPEN THE UPPER FUEL LINE BY LOOSENING THAT UPPER HOSE CLAMP , WITH ENGINE OFF , AND CYCLE THE KEY !

i . YOUR PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE TO CRACK OPEN THE UPPER FUEL LINE BY LOOSENING THAT UPPER HOSE CLAMP , WITH ENGINE OFF , AND CYCLE THE KEY !

Yup. It was a bit more controlled than that. but I got it bled. Fuel tubing/coupler clamp syringe etc. I dont like the plastic filter. I need a metal body but clear.

Rain til Wednesday..:bang head::biglaugh: polish and nit pick time.

Last edited:
Finished upgrading forks. Progressives, Racetechs, 1" internal lowering. Would've finished earlier if I weren't such a rookie--realized that i put the emulators upside down after button up the last fork.

Yup. It was a bit more controlled than that. but I got it bled. Fuel tuning/coupler clamp syringe etc. I dont like the plastic filter. I need a metal body but clear.

Rain til Wednesday..:bang head::biglaugh: polish and nit pick time.

I have seen the clear body/metal ends sintered-bronze filters used, not sure who makes them, but you can search. Dunno if the clear body is lexan or some such.

Here is one you might consider:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...25uo?itemIdentifier=352786&_requestid=1491858

Glass chamber, $9 & 3pack of filters $7.

I just got my Vgas running for the first time this year. New clutch, kerker and ram-air scoops. It didnt run right on the mains. I hope it was my airbound fuel filter.

Cool stuff! You gotta give us some feedback on the new scoops once you put some miles in.

I have seen the clear body/metal ends sintered-bronze filters used, not sure who makes them, but you can search. Dunno if the clear body is lexan or some such.

Here is one you might consider:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...25uo?itemIdentifier=352786&_requestid=1491858

Glass chamber, $9 & 3pack of filters $7.

I thought I broke my plastic filter pulling the tubing off. That one's nice and sturdy but how about the nipples. And how many micron protection without the paper element.

Cool stuff! You gotta give us some feedback on the new scoops once you put some miles in.

Will do.. Wish I didn't need sleep!

rode her. took a pic, thought it was gonna turn out cooler though..

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 20
Got my old air scoops boxed up and scheduled the pick-up via UPS in route to Morley muscle for a swap out (exchange program he offers) for Bright chrome scoops which he keeps on hand. This is the first time I have been bitten by the Mod Monkey since I bought the bike new in 1985.{edit} I did the Double DD clutch and Sean's big Diehard battery mod plus the R1 mod if all that counts towards Monkey bites.

Finished polishing rim lips on the front wheel. Turned out decent but could be better. Not sure if my fingers are up to doing any more sanding. Only finger with prints left on it is my pinky. I went from 220 to 340 to 400 to 600 to 1000 grit. I didn't have and couldn't find any 800 grit or 1500 grit. If I find those I may start over from 340 and see if I can get a mirror finish on it. Right now its very reflective but blurry.

Got the triple back from the machine shop with the bearing spacer on. Mounted it up and its all good.

Mocked up the new swingarm.

Made some shims to go between my shock bracket and diff. Found out I need a early model rear axle to use the new setup.

Fork uppers made it from chrome to the suspension shop. Lowers were shipped to the suspension shop along with all the internals. Still didn't get all the other parts I'm waiting on so I don't have a weight to give the suspension guys. I gave my best guess, hope I'm close enough!

Still a long way to go before I'm ready to ride :bang head:

Finished polishing rim lips on the front wheel. Turned out decent but could be better. Not sure if my fingers are up to doing any more sanding. Only finger with prints left on it is my pinky. I went from 220 to 340 to 400 to 600 to 1000 grit. I didn't have and couldn't find any 800 grit or 1500 grit. If I find those I may start over from 340 and see if I can get a mirror finish on it. Right now its very reflective but blurry.

Got the triple back from the machine shop with the bearing spacer on. Mounted it up and its all good.

Mocked up the new swingarm.

Made some shims to go between my shock bracket and diff. Found out I need a early model rear axle to use the new setup.

Fork uppers made it from chrome to the suspension shop. Lowers were shipped to the suspension shop along with all the internals. Still didn't get all the other parts I'm waiting on so I don't have a weight to give the suspension guys. I gave my best guess, hope I'm close enough!

Still a long way to go before I'm ready to ride :bang head:
Thanks For the update Mike, it sounds like your making some progress finally! I know how it feels, it felt like it was taking forever while putting my bike back together last winter.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product!:punk:

I called the chrome shop this morning and they were putting my wheels into the chrome tank. So they're just finishing them up. I should be able to make the two hour drive tomorrow to pick them up. The original carrozzeria rotor bolts were cheap, rusty, junk. There are 6 adapter to wheel, 6 rotor to adapter, so 12 per rotor. So I ordered 36 titanium bolts from Pro bolts. I'm starting to think I'll actually start putting it together soon. Later, Rand.

And I thought 23 years was a long time. The early ones were really built durable. I paid $6,250.00 out the door in 88'. What did the 85's go for?

Back