What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tweaked the carbs, then went for a nice ride. Got some great video of one of my favorite places to ride. It starts out nice and ends at the cemetary where I'll be planted.

Sun was/is out, 70deg. The road just called my name. Got caught up in some stalled traffic in town and the bike started to heat up. When it hit 195, I turned on the fan to check it out. Sure enough, it cooled it down to the upper 170's :clapping:
I stopped by the motorshop Talked with the owner for a while, he's a great guy, has several muscle cars, I love his Hemi Charger (real one, not the 4-door) We talked about this winter's mods for the Vmax.

Got some more vids of dumb drivers that dont watch for bikes. So when the snow flies I'll compile the dumbass video.

Bike ran great, need to do a sync, but ran great.

Snapped my U-Joint, I think.
I Did a pretty Massive Burnout and heard a loud pop.
Got the bike back in the garage and pulled rear end to check the the shaft and it's fine but there was some noise near my Middle Gear so I'm thinking U-Joint.
I'll have to pull the swingarm to check it out tomorrow.

Update:
Well U-Joint is Good, so I am going to clean and grease everything and re-sasemble what I have taken apart so far.

I'm guessing it is a clutch problem now.
Turning the U-Joint by hand produces no noticable noise.
I can get the bike to move at low RPM (in first and second gear) but it won't really pull.
The RPM's just take off if I apply throttle.
If I put it in first it will engage but I can't push the bike.
With it in second I can pust it a bit, but not freely.

EDIT:
I tore the clutch apart and that definitely looks like the problem.
All my metal clutch plates were black.
I sanded them all with 220 Grit sandpaper and rubbed them out with ScotchBrite.
They look brand new now.
I ordered all new Friction plates (mine just didn't look up to par) and a new gasket so when they get here I'll re-assemble it and give it a test ride.
Hopefully that's all it was.

Last edited:
Been in a tire funk for a while, Roadsmarts only last about 3000 miles, found this out the hard way in Bandera ,Tx on our spring rally. Trailered the bike back got to ride Mike Hansen's Busa home, WOW those things are fast!!!!. Went back to the Avon Storms got 3900 miles but the tire was a 160 and to small for my 5.5" rear wheel. Now I have move to the Avon Cobra in a 180, the ride and corning are great, I will keep you posted on the mileage. Recently install the Race Tec Emulators, springs, fork seals, bushings, and repacked the head bearings. The emulators sure serve up a smooth ride!! Well worth the installation trouble.

ANYONE NEAR BISMARK ARKANSAS, I NEED A RIDING BUDDY?

Have a great holiday, Barry Barker

Doing some carb tuning today. Researching all the great threads here, on the best forum on the net.
Will report back on the poor mans Stage Steve-o carb work. I would have surely bought Seans kit, but had to get rotors to stop this beast. Budget rotors at that. I'm a do one thing, test ride, plug read first, kind of guy before proceeding to the next step. I hate when stuff get's screwed up and I just did 3 things.
Steve

I snapped a mirror off putting it on the sidestand reach into my truck to close the garage door. Didn't do any other damage to the bike, but there is a nice gouge in the paint on my poor little Ranger now.

COPs!

COPs mod completed today

Went good, extremely happy with the results.

Used Gannon's COP kit and i'd highly recommend it.

DSC01463.JPG

DSC01464.JPG

needless to say the old stuff didn't look the greatest.. Maleko cut & cleaned my rear coils(back in Topeka at the dyno day, Thanks!) but upon inspection today (during removal) the fronts were a lot worse.

DSC01458.JPG

DSC01461.JPG

AWESOME!

DSC01467.JPG

i THINK... the main problem i was having might be resolved. I'm not hearing the rev limited sound at WOT, but it does still stutter a bit. Next i'm going to try the stock size main jets & see what happens. Currently using 147.5, just curious what the 152's will do.

I was out riding with the wife on back and all of a sudden: clunk, clunk. so I pull Ed over called my son and he trucked it home. Ok, been here, done this, I pulled the rear tire and I know it's the yoke ( I hope) that stripped. Well, on pulling it the swingarm wouldn't slide away from the middle gear assmly. So I had to take out the 3bolts holding that in while the swingarm was still
on. What a bitch!! Anyway, after removing all the above, the middle gear STILL won't come off the front of the shaft. I guess the splines are jacked up and twisted. I guess I should have run it till it stripped the teeth on the yoke all the way but now I gotta get these apart without damaging the custom shaft. Any ideas ?

My guess from past experience is that Its twisted so I think I'm gonna open the transfer case up and secure the shaft in front of the weld on the shaft at the gear ( that way the tig weld I just had done wont get any pressure put on it) Sean, have you even seen this happen where the spline twisted up the teeth in the yoke? This one might be a bust. HELP

Ok got the shaft outta the yoke. I think over the winter I'm gonna have a guy Sean knows make me a new gear/shaft all one piece. But now I hope to get a couple months more riding in before I tear this all apart again.

Yea, not sure why it's happening but it's stripping out the yoke at the front of the shaft. Sean said he's seen very high HP bikes that dont even do it. But I guess if there has to be a weak link in my driveline at least it's a cheap part to replace. I'm getting pretty frustrated though. And Paul from MadMax just wants to sell me his newer improved setup. Pretty sure I'm done with him. Next I'm gonna convert to a chain drive but I still want to keep my 250 tire and wheel. Ed

I jumped on it, fired up the camera, then went for a little, nice, scenic 85 mile ride. The bike ran flawlessly. Came back to town and gassed it up, 41.3 mpg.

Found a deal on one and tried to contact the seller. No luck yet...... don't really need another bike but the price is right and mine is in pieces

Latest posts

Back