What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pushed more than a half of a quart bottle through the stockers that I reinstalled today after pushing a pint bottle and almost 1/4 of the quart bottle. I was getting no air bubbles for more than a hour while pushing the fluid through. I had already installed these calipers 10 days earlier and while it was a pain I at least had some lever pressure after I had all the air bubbles pumped out.
I will continue to try until I get the new diaphragm from Ron Ayers.

I pushed more than a half of a quart bottle through the stockers that I reinstalled today after pushing a pint bottle and almost 1/4 of the quart bottle. I was getting no air bubbles for more than a hour while pushing the fluid through. I had already installed these calipers 10 days earlier and while it was a pain I at least had some lever pressure after I had all the air bubbles pumped out.
I will continue to try until I get the new diaphragm from Ron Ayers.

Brian, you may just have an airlock in the M/C. I had that problem when I replaced my clutch line.

Try reverse-bleeding if you haven't yet - that did the trick for me.

Instructions here:http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6052

Top speedo lamp burned out so replaced with with "74" LED light from superillumination. Also bled all brakes (took 20 minutes with Mityvac) and lubed the side and center stand pivots.

Heretic, the Dinkelmans and I are heading to Hulign's tonight to fix his starter clutch (Thanks Sean!).

in response to the brake bleed issue...I did my fronts last night after a new SS 2 line install and here is what I found.....I first tried the old fashion way...pump, crack the bleeder, pump, crack the bleeder....after and hour or so, and with no pressure build up & wasting about half a quart of fluid....I let the system sit for a few hours to stabilize....went back out to the garage, filled up the reservoir, let the system gravity bleed for 20 min (keeping the reservoir full all the time), I then closed the bleeders...went back to the pump, bleed, pump, bleed...and within a few minutes, had pressure....IDK...that's my story....

-Mike

OK, had some progress tonight and a set back. I left the top off the M/C and slowly pumped the lever as if trying to build pressure. Once I had 4-5 pumps in I held it and loosened one bleeder, it pushed fluid up 4-5" I then released the lever which caused the fluid to retreat back down the line towards the bleeder past the point where it had started by 3-4". I closed the bleeder valve and did the same process to the other caliper.
That's when the air started to come up through the M/C at a pretty good pace! I started tapping with my dead blow hammer on the calipers and lines first there were good sized bubbles but after 20 min of this I started getting clouds of micro bubbles. I would slowly pump the lever once then lightly "burp" the lever to get the air out.
I was starting to get some pressure at the lever! I added some more fluid to replace where the air had used to be. I stopped getting any bubbles so I put the top back on. I had a lever that was engaging firmly at about 1/2 way through it travel, so still not great. I had the great idea to open a bleeder once more in an attempt to get a better feeling. Bam! there goes all the pressure but it recovers to the half lever again pretty quickly.
I refill the M/C and it's maintaining pressure but still will not get any better. That's when I noticed a drip from the double banjo connection at the M/C...I was able to tighten it a little but it still kept leaking. I have to admit that I had to reuse these while checking the master cylinder kit install I had done on Sat night.
I think I'm on the right track now though, so I'm going to reinstall my Hayabusa calipers confident that I can get the pressure back and better with new banjo washers all around. Hopefully the final, successful report tomorrow evening! I need to ride!
I think I've learned a pretty good lesson in dealing with the Vmax brakes. I'm going to upgrade to newer spec 2003 FJR M/C (brand new if I can get them) next year.
Thanks to Sean for your help! :thumbs up: I

Hey Brian, take a loom at my post of how I bled my brakes. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12103
It is most likely the micro bubbles that are unseen with conventional bleeding. With the clear tubing connected to the bleeders, one is able to see the micro bubbles coming out of the system.
I am a firm believer in this method. When I change my front calipers, lines, rear line and clutch line I use far less than quart of fluid. Yes it is a slow method, but conventional bleeding seems to be taking you a long time also.

Mounted an oil pressure gauge but not connected yet. Mounted a fan override switch also not connected yet. Bars getting a bit crowded now though what with satnav mount, sasy, gear indicator, fairing...should look good when all done - not that it's ever all done!
biglaugh.gif

Hey Brian, take a loom at my post of how I bled my brakes. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12103
It is most likely the micro bubbles that are unseen with conventional bleeding. With the clear tubing connected to the bleeders, one is able to see the micro bubbles coming out of the system.
I am a firm believer in this method. When I change my front calipers, lines, rear line and clutch line I use far less than quart of fluid. Yes it is a slow method, but conventional bleeding seems to be taking you a long time also.
Yep I read through your post and have a similar setup like yours just not as high as I didn't have long enough tubing. Yours is a great idea, let mother nature do a bit of back bleeding for ya.I had a few micro bubbles but I had them come back through the M/C, little clouds of micro bubbles as I burped the lever slightly.
I will be doing it all over as I am putting my Hayabusa calipers on now that I found a method that works.:punk: But first I need to get the front tire off and changed to my metz 880 for the Brownie Run trip.

Painted the driver's side of my motor today. Taping took a lot longer than I thought, so I never even started the other side yet. It came out great though. I'll be showing it off at Kyle's Tech Day this weekend.:eusa_dance:

I ignored mine,boy is she pissed but it was for a greater cause.Ill put her injector harness back on tomorrow and hope for the best.

whats the BEST wire dyrer product,sugestions please!

Took a few more pictures today in a different location. then went for a nice ride around the hills.

Attachments

• Cobra1_b.jpg
    Cobra1_b.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 20
  • MaxCobra1_b.jpg
    MaxCobra1_b.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 20
  • KJSMAX_Rear_tire.jpg
    KJSMAX_Rear_tire.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 22
  • Desktop1.jpg
    Desktop1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 23
Painted the driver's side of my motor today. Taping took a lot longer than I thought, so I never even started the other side yet. It came out great though. I'll be showing it off at Kyle's Tech Day this weekend.:eusa_dance:

WoW I wanna see that - mine needs it so badly!

Today I took the bike to pieces to install my SMM. Job done, only it's not back together yet as night fell well b4 I could even attempt to refit the headers :bang head: At least I got my carbchains nipples all tweaked, and the rest goes on tomorrow.

Can't wait to see how much of a difference I'll feel riding it 'solid' :clapping:

ugh. front valve cover gasket is getting worse. weaping oil down to the exhaust port area now.. just in one corner tho, will try tightening tonight otherwise its "in morley we trust" may have to teach myself how to do valve adjustments sooner than expected.

naughty... any word on that write up?

Funny you should say that. I've been going through the pictures reminding myself of the job - it was a while back! Gotta stick markings on them and upload them, then I'll be ready to write away :biglaugh:

maybe a set of swingarm caps for your troubles if it gets up soon?:biglaugh:

Could i put a bit of atv silicone gasket stuff on this to seal this up temporarily for a few weeks? or is that probably a bad idea?

EDIT: added pic of leak. its not oil coloured, its very clear-ish whats weaping. i know its not water though otherwise i don't think it would stay there very long.

Attachments

• 2010-05-20 12.51.06.jpg
    2010-05-20 12.51.06.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 24
Looks like the gasket is pretty well cracked in the corner.

Sean

obviously the 'right' fix is to replace it, could i put a dab of the rtv silicone gasket stuff on there for a few weeks ya think? probably won't hurt it i don't think. I"m gonna take a look at closer to the exhaust port see if there are any other cracks or anything..

Latest posts

Back