What did you do to your Vmax today?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Started to go for a ride... and the battery failed. F*#K!!!

Pulled it and found that, well, maybe you should check that distilled water level every now and then. A bit of distilled water and a charger later and she is good to go....

Then I noticed that the paint (Faux Carbon Fiber on the 99 model) is getting really skanky on both the front and rear fenders. They are showing ten years of use, so after I buy me a little commuter Ninja bike in December for better mileage, I am looking for a good Custom Shop to redo my beast in a new color scheme. I hate to say goodbye to the custom silver flame job on the faux tank cover, but I am thinking toward something in a deep red flame job with a black dragon matching my tattoo will make her rock.

:punk:

I made her sleep outside and this morning when I went outside hoping that someone stole it I found myself unfortunate.
I just looked at her and said "Ya Frame Flexxing Wobbling Slow Turd"
And thats about it as she still sits out there.

Rode partway back to Jersey with COP RUNNER and his buddy Butch. Nice ride and a good opportunity to check out the Brake-Away cruise control which works very well.
First pic- frm. left, Dannymax, COPRUNNER, Butch

Attachments

• Frm Left, Dannymax, COP RUNNER, Butch.jpg
    Frm Left, Dannymax, COP RUNNER, Butch.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Darth Vader, Dannymax, Butch.jpg
    Darth Vader, Dannymax, Butch.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 34
  • One of the last rides of the year!.jpg
    One of the last rides of the year!.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 38
You're not done till you ride to Tn.!!:rofl_200::clapping:
Come get ya some'!! Sayith' the WitchDoctor!!! Send some pics soon riding in shorts!!!! tommorrow:punk: UNGAWA!!!!

Well more snow today, and nothin but more snow predicted this week. Winter is here!!:Snowmobile:

I put the reaper in the corner of the garage, and I'm starting to hardline the N2O. I sold the braided and I'm going to mimic the setup that was on my old turbo/N2O Kaw. cept this time, I'm going to polish the lines :biglaugh: then route them were they can be seen. back in '85 on the drag bike they were everywhere and on the street bike I routed the lines up under my XS' tank then the seat where all the goodies were hidden.

I got the twins hanging out so why not have a little bit of show-showing?

The second turbo arrived Saturday, so now its a matter of getting a pair of blowoff valves and wastegates. After looking at the Reaper, looks like I might be loosing the bellypan for fitment.

I'm thinking more positive and buying another engine, and doing the mods on it, then just install it when it's done. :biglaugh:

The thing that kills me is like I told a friend of mine with his Charger, there is a fine line between track and street. the plan is to just kiss the track side.:punk:

Attachments

• Sdc10090.jpg
    Sdc10090.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 27
Well more snow today, and nothin but more snow predicted this week. Winter is here!!:Snowmobile:

I put the reaper in the corner of the garage, and I'm starting to hardline the N2O. I sold the braided and I'm going to mimic the setup that was on my old turbo/N2O Kaw. cept this time, I'm going to polish the lines :biglaugh: then route them were they can be seen. back in '85 on the drag bike they were everywhere and on the street bike I routed the lines up under my XS' tank then the seat where all the goodies were hidden.

The second turbo arrived Saturday, so now its a matter of getting a pair of blowoff valves and wastegates. After looking at the Reaper, looks like I might be loosing the bellypan for fitment.

I'm thinking more positive and buying another engine, and doing the mods on it, then just install it when it's done. :biglaugh:

The thing that kills me is like I told a friend of mine with his Charger, there is a fine line between track and street. the plan is to just kiss the track side.:punk:

OooooHH!! That's a "no v max" sky, if I ever saw one! Think we're about 2 weeks behind you, got the best riding of the whole year happening right now, but it's all gonna come to a crashing end shortly. :bang head:

On a bright note it sounds like you have a great winter project on tap, lots of posts and pics of it will help the rest of us 'northern boys' get through the hard times.

Just be sure she's tuned for the "Spring Brownie Run." :punk:

OooooHH!! That's a "no v max" sky, if I ever saw one! Think we're about 2 weeks behind you, got the best riding of the whole year happening right now, but it's all gonna come to a crashing end shortly. :bang head:

On a bright note it sounds like you have a great winter project on tap, lots of posts and pics of it will help the rest of us 'northern boys' get through the hard times.

Just be sure she's tuned for the "Spring Brownie Run." :punk:
Hmmm, "Spring Brownie Run" has a nice ring to it! Let's see, we could hit Jim's "Spring Ice Breaker" in Southern Ontario, then make a run to Upper New York for the "Spring Brownie Run"... sounds like it would set the tone for a awesome summer of riding in 2009. :biglaugh:

Hmmm, "Spring Brownie Run" has a nice ring to it! Let's see, we could hit Jim's "Spring Ice Breaker" in Southern Ontario, then make a run to Upper New York for the "Spring Brownie Run"... sounds like it would set the tone for a awesome summer of riding in 2009. :biglaugh:

I'm in!!! Though I think my plan is the "Summer Brownie run" as a group of us from here are heading down to WVa to run Skyline Dr., then off to Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown, Pa, and going by Dannymax's area on the way home. All are welcome to join in the fun.

HEY KJ ???

What's all that white shit in the picture???
Camera messed up or something?
:ummm:

Today I rode max home with the Spitfire windshield, then got there and fitted the Hellfire I got from m-cman (thanks Don!). Then I rode it back to work another 90 miles.
The Helfire is definitely a lot larger, but it doesn't look bad at all. Definitely less turbulence to the sides of the helmet, but I still find it noisy @ 110mph+, I guess it's just never gonna be that quiet at those speeds..
Hit 130mph and there came the deadly wobble again! It got progressively worse as I hung on for dear life, and only stopped when I managed to release my death grip on the bars. Phew that was close to a 120mph tankslapper - not sure you can survive that one! :confused2:

I really can't wait to get my head bearings replaced, and I hope that will help. I also got my Carbtune today, so will sync as soon as I get time, maybe tomorrow. I forgot to grab them shims though, dammit I was gonna put those back on my needles to see if it helps that 4-5k rpm surge I'm experiencing.. :bang head:

Also noticed that I got a slow weave on hard braking at speed - any idea or is that also gonna be bearing-related?

Today I rode max home with the Spitfire windshield, then got there and fitted the Hellfire I got from m-cman (thanks Don!). Then I rode it back to work another 90 miles.
The Helfire is definitely a lot larger, but it doesn't look bad at all. Definitely less turbulence to the sides of the helmet, but I still find it noisy @ 110mph+, I guess it's just never gonna be that quiet at those speeds..
Hit 130mph and there came the deadly wobble again! It got progressively worse as I hung on for dear life, and only stopped when I managed to release my death grip on the bars. Phew that was close to a 120mph tankslapper - not sure you can survive that one! :confused2:

I really can't wait to get my head bearings replaced, and I hope that will help. I also got my Carbtune today, so will sync as soon as I get time, maybe tomorrow. I forgot to grab them shims though, dammit I was gonna put those back on my needles to see if it helps that 4-5k rpm surge I'm experiencing.. :bang head:

Also noticed that I got a slow weave on hard braking at speed - any idea or is that also gonna be bearing-related?

I've got a theory, that may be wrong, that fork mounted windscreens contribute or, in some cases, cause the death wobble. I don't believe the proper place to mount a windscreen is on the forks, but should be mounted to the frame, like a sport bike. :twocents:

I've got a theory, that may be wrong, that fork mounted windscreens contribute or, in some cases, cause the death wobble. I don't believe the proper place to mount a windscreen is on the forks, but should be mounted to the frame, like a sport bike. :twocents:

Yea I tend to agree with that, altho I don't feel the Hellfire's made it any worse than the Spitfire, and when I first got the killer wobbles (first time I took max above 115mph after buying her) I had no screen at all.

I still think that other than bad head bearings, the #1 reason for the high speed wobbles threatening to tank slap is the DEATH GRIP. Honestly yesterday I thought I was toast as it got worse to almost uncontrollable level (doing 120mph) and I tried accelerating rather than slowing down to no avail, but what did in the end save me was to relax my grip (almost letting go) so that the bike could self-adjust back to stability. :confused2:

I still might look for a steering damper at some point as it's just impossible to relax above 105mph.. Still, new bearings first - I have 'em just need to go borrow that Dremel from gran'pa :clapping:

Yea I tend to agree with that, altho I don't feel the Hellfire's made it any worse than the Spitfire, and when I first got the killer wobbles (first time I took max above 115mph after buying her) I had no screen at all.

I still think that other than bad head bearings, the #1 reason for the high speed wobbles threatening to tank slap is the DEATH GRIP. Honestly yesterday I thought I was toast as it got worse to almost uncontrollable level (doing 120mph) and I tried accelerating rather than slowing down to no avail, but what did in the end save me was to relax my grip (almost letting go) so that the bike could self-adjust back to stability. :confused2:

I still might look for a steering damper at some point as it's just impossible to relax above 105mph.. Still, new bearings first - I have 'em just need to go borrow that Dremel from gran'pa :clapping:

That's weird that if you have to relax your grip for a high speed wobble,
Cause i have a low speed wobble and if i relax my grip i'm doomed.
If i can hold tight i can keep it under control.

I have to fix that this year over the winter time.
It definately puckers the asshole, thats for sure.

I think ours are opposite - I have high speed wooes cos my bearings are (hopefully) fubar, and you have low speed weave cos your bearings are prolly overtightened! :confused2:

Today I used my new Morgan Carbtune for the first time and synced my carbs. What an improvement! Now the bike behaves much better at low revs and pulls cleanly instantly. Before I always had to give it a bit of xtra gas as it would splutter and sometimes conk out altogether if I went off too slowly.
Can't w8 to take it to the highway to see if it also improved mpg - it sure seems to have improved idling a lot too. Cylinder 1 was way off, much higher than 2 on the gauge, and the left/right balance was off as well.

:coolgleamA:

That's weird that if you have to relax your grip for a high speed wobble,
Cause i have a low speed wobble and if i relax my grip i'm doomed.
If i can hold tight i can keep it under control.

I have to fix that this year over the winter time.
It definately puckers the asshole, thats for sure.

It is VERY weird Bill. I've never had one but heard the same thing from other guys about the high speed wobble. I kinda doubt I would be able to relax my grip at speeds over 100!! Just ain't in my nature.
I did have the low speed one tho, decel from 45 - 35 or so, and you definitely don't loosen up to correct that one.
The weave is usually tight bearings, the wobble is loose bearings. Try Sean Morley's method to adjust, worked perfectly for me.

I've never had one but heard the same thing from other guys about the high speed wobble. I kinda doubt I would be able to relax my grip at speeds over 100!! Just ain't in my nature.

Well let me tell ya, you better be prepared and remember this if ever happens to you!

I got to about 130mph, and a small bump or maybe just the wind buffeting combined with my tightened gripping of the bars at that speed started the high speed wobble. It's a mad oscillation of the steering head that starts small and gets worse. Your instinct is obviously to slow down, but you can't as it makes it worse so you do all you can to try to keep control while slowing down gradually.

In this particular instance, as I hung on for dear life it got worse and really bad to the point where I really thought I was toast - just imagine weaving left and right violently at over 110mph to the point where it's about to become a tank slapper and throw you off over the bars!! Not good. :stretche:
So as a last ditch attempt I remembered how most of the time, I've found that when the wobble starts, if I relax my grip on the handle bars the bike stabilizes itself and stops wobbling.
So as hard as it was I just did, and thank god it worked or I don't think I'd be here typing this. :worthy::worthy:

I really really need to borrow that Dremel and replace my head bearings - too much of a speed addict not to enjoy max power when riding 90 highway miles in the middle of the night.. :punk:

Well let me tell ya, you better be prepared and remember this if ever happens to you!

I got to about 130mph, and a small bump or maybe just the wind buffeting combined with my tightened gripping of the bars at that speed started the high speed wobble. It's a mad oscillation of the steering head that starts small and gets worse. Your instinct is obviously to slow down, but you can't as it makes it worse so you do all you can to try to keep control while slowing down gradually.

In this particular instance, as I hung on for dear life it got worse and really bad to the point where I really thought I was toast - just imagine weaving left and right violently at over 110mph to the point where it's about to become a tank slapper and throw you off over the bars!! Not good. :stretche:
So as a last ditch attempt I remembered how most of the time, I've found that when the wobble starts, if I relax my grip on the handle bars the bike stabilizes itself and stops wobbling.
So as hard as it was I just did, and thank god it worked or I don't think I'd be here typing this. :worthy::worthy:

I really really need to borrow that Dremel and replace my head bearings - too much of a speed addict not to enjoy max power when riding 90 highway miles in the middle of the night.. :punk:

Glad you had the presence of mind to handle that situation properly and that it tunred out ok. Sure don't want to read about any more bikes going down, there's been way too many already this year. Actually ONE is way too many, IMO!

A buddy of mine had the hi-speed wobble throw him off and he slid/tumbled for over 400 feet down the b'top! He survived but it was real ugly. Had one of those friggin' "death trap Kawasaki's" from the 70's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back