What is your best upgrade/mod?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too many to mention, but best bang for buck mods for useful improvements IMO,
solid mounts, ebay rotors/pads/new lines, bar end mirrors.

Judging just by what people say here (and to a lesser extent what the P/O of the bike said), the Dynojet stage 1 kit really helps. I average 40mpg at a 75mph cruise on the highway, and have seen as good as 45mpg on slower back road riding. Granted that's with minimal v-boost use.

The worst I've ever seen was 34, and that was about half highway @ 90mph, and half stoplight-to-stoplight vboosting.

Also, my temp NEVER rises above halfway on the gauge. Ever. Sitting in traffic at 90 degrees? No problem. Even without the manual fan being on- with the fan it's a little lower. The dyno sheet reports 166hp@crank and 113@ wheel. I know a lot of people here are over 120, but otherwise the motor is stock.

Better mileage, runs cooler, and a slight boost in performance. Can't lose there.

Just so it is known,

My opinion on the stage 1 jet kit as delivered by dynojet is shit. I would not normally ever recomment it. Either our kit or stage seven (with a full exhaust) is the way to go.

Sean

I would say the headlight relay mod. I can now see at night. The deer used to like to jump out at me and scare the hell outa me! After that everything looks like a deer standing on the side of the road!

Every time I do a mod it becomes the best mod. Strange as it sounds it seems to be a direct relation to the cost. lol Every spring it becomes a new bike. At first I was excited about s.s. lines and Vboost switch. Then it was the suspension mods. Race Tech and Works. Holeshot exhaust was like...WOW! Then the Carrozzia 18'' rims, radial tires, R-1 calipers and frame braces. that was a double WOW-WOW. This last Spring was 1428 and stage seven. That was a, OH MY GAWD. It has a little more 'PEP' now.
Dave Tavares

Before someone really strings you along, carb chains are a joke :)
I thought that the carb chains attatched to the Piston Return Spring Anchors and prevented carb chatter.... :rofl_200:

OK, my bike already had progressive shocks and fork springs when I got it, so I'll have to vote for the 18" rims and radial tires on my bike.

1) Radials, hands down! Did lots of other mods before the radials went on, but none had the impact the radials did...
2) Custom PC or paint - I get the most comments on the cosmetic stuff I've done, as most of the other mods require before/after rides to appreciate...

Hey now this is a shout back to '07! Looking back at the mods I have done I don't really know which one to put at the top of the list. I'll just list the important mods in the order I did them:
1) Brakes: going from the stock rotors/ calipers/ pads to SS lines/ 298mm wavy rotors/ Hayabusa calipers/ EBC HH pads made the bike stop sooo much better that this could've been my top mod.
2) Suspension: While I have made suspension changes early on it really has been a continual set of upgrades to get the suspension to where it is now. Shocks, fork mods, solid motor mounts and braced swingarm are all intertwined in with the handling improvement. I could have spent a ton more but I don't think it would be the best use of mod money, at this point anyway.
3) Wheels: Addition of Carrozzeria wheels has changed the way the Vmax can be ridden; radials allow to ride faster and deeper into corners. But without the aforementioned suspension work you cannot get the most out of the new wheels. I still think that as of now Redbone has the potential to handle above my current skills.
4) Comfort: The seat reworking probably should rate higher but it was one of the first mods I did so it has fallen a bit in my memory but as I remember I could not go 50 miles with the stock seat before the pain set in. Thanks to Sean Morley's mid cut seat I have ridden 600 miles in a day and walked away without pain! Other ergonomic updates were 31.5" wide Flanders drag bars and recently some hiway pegs to stretch the legs out on longer rides. The Givi airstars sport screen provide some(but not all) relief from wind buffeting which reduces some long distant fatigue.
5) Motor: Exhaust and carb mods early on coupled with more recent engine work fits in with the mod theme of continual development.
6) Bling: I done a few purely cosmetic mods but so far may favorites are the functional mods noted above.
7) Extras: Adding a 5 gal tank to stretch the range and will be putting my old transmission back in next winter which should give me a one gas stop from U.P. to Grand Rapids area, close to 300 miles one way.

Last edited:
Hey all! I just bought an 09 myself and have my 04 up for sale but would really love to keep it. If I d o keep it would definitely like to know where and what mods for handling best route and where to go. I see some of the mods and pics and almost wish I had not bought my 09 and put some money into the 04. :) Maybe I can swing both but that means I'll need even more money to do some things to my 04. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like a custom seat, springs, mounts, radials. Also improving gas mileage would be great too. Mine is pretty stock with a holeshot exhaust not sure if anything else has been done or not.

This is a great forum and web site, wish I had found it sooner!!

Last edited:
Yes, radials are #1, if you run anywhere in the top 1/3 of the bike's speed capabilities. The handling is much more precise. It cures a lot of the criticism of the bike. Try two side by side, one w & one w/o, and you can see for yourself, especially at higher speeds.

I don't think there is a single best mod for our beloved Vmax.

The mod(s) one will highly value will depend on your riding style.

It maybe better to look at mod importance by category, as in handling, braking, horsepower/performance, comfort, etc...

Being an 80's design bike with very good power, I started with improving the chassis. Handling, braking and chassis improvements were high on my list of importance.

Mike

I don't think there is a single best mod for our beloved Vmax.

The mod(s) one will highly value will depend on your riding style.

It maybe better to look at mod importance by category, as in handling, braking, horsepower/performance, comfort, etc...

Being an 80's design bike with very good power, I started with improving the chassis. Handling, braking and chassis improvements were high on my list of importance.

Mike
I agree Mike, no one mod will be the best. I felt my bike needed brakes and suspension work before I could add power. Radials would have been nice sooner for sure and I wanted the Carrozzerias so bad but then they went out of production. Sean saved the day by stepping up for the community so I knew it was now or never. I've been thankful ever since!:punk:

Latest posts

Back