whats a good clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trkuhlmey

Reaction score
I'm going to change my clutch in my 90 vmax should I go yamaha or there a better one?

Barnett frictions are good
OEM is good

Do a search for DD mod, Barnett coil spring conversion, PCW clutch spring and you will see some options on how to give the clutch better than stock holding power

I can only speak for the Yamaha disk. They work very well .DD here.
Steve
+1. dd, shinko radial, stock internals (steels cleaned though). can power wheelie in the rain.

DD and stock Yamaha steels and friction full face worked great on my 1500cc Tourmaster with 165 RWHP.

rick rash

New fiber's are $8 each x 8 = $64 + $25 for new spring =$89. Clean your steel's and use them again. The spring might be $50 not sure. or find a use spring it will work fine.

Spring list is $54 the last time I purchased about 5 months ago.

rick rash

My '96 is stock but i want a softer clutch. Does this '05 FJR1300 works well? Is it just "plug 'n play"?

Thanks

interesting. never heard about wanting something like this. i am not sure what are the consequences of using an fjr1300 master on stock clutch setup. logically thinking, if an fjr1300 master makes a more powerful spring (DD or PCW HD, etc) easier to engage, then an fjr1300 master would engage a weaker spring (single stock spring) with a lot more ease than a stock master. is this what you mean by "softer clutch"? do you mean the action required to engage the clutch? AGAIN I AM JUST HYPOTHESIZING.

thinking out loud, would an adjustable lever achieve the same action that you are seeking? looking for adjustable levers for an 85

and yes, put in an FJR1300 master is "plug and play"

interesting. never heard about wanting something like this. i am not sure what are the consequences of using an fjr1300 master on stock clutch setup. logically thinking, if an fjr1300 master makes a more powerful spring (DD or PCW HD, etc) easier to engage, then an fjr1300 master would engage a weaker spring (single stock spring) with a lot more ease than a stock master. is this what you mean by "softer clutch"? do you mean the action required to engage the clutch? AGAIN I AM JUST HYPOTHESIZING.

thinking out loud, would an adjustable lever achieve the same action that you are seeking? looking for adjustable levers for an 85

and yes, put in an FJR1300 master is "plug and play"

my '05 fjr clutch master made the stock feel so easy and brought the dd to around 1.25-1.5x the feel of a stock master + clutch.

Exactly, ninja... my L hand hurts when I get stuck on traffic jams so I'm looking for an easier to engage clutch. I've bought a pair of ajustable levers too, from ebay. They're from China (Xing-Ling, so maybe it might even shine or have LEDs!! they love it!!) so I'm still waiting for It.
If it doesn't work I'll try these FRJ1300... does the brake MC works well too? Just in case... :D

Thanks!

Exactly, ninja... my L hand hurts when I get stuck on traffic jams so I'm looking for an easier to engage clutch. I've bought a pair of ajustable levers too, from ebay. They're from China (Xing-Ling, so maybe it might even shine or have LEDs!! they love it!!) so I'm still waiting for It.
If it doesn't work I'll try these FRJ1300... does the brake MC works well too? Just in case... :D

Thanks!

i have both fjr1300 masters. be careful and do your research. read this first before buying anything:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11266

basically i am running '04 abs master that is engaging yzf750 6-pots and a '05 master that is engaging DD'd clutch stack.

I guess I am still a fan of the PCW spring it works fine with the stock master & is not hard on the hand like the DD gets to be in traffic. I guess I like some things simple. I had the Yamaha frictions with the full plate in back & PCW in my 99 forever & had it at the dragstrip every weekend & had at least 50,000 miles on that setup & it was still working fine when I sold the bike.

Back