440's installed...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gasem

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I got my 440's installed yesterday. They fit and look great IMO. You can tell they hadn't moved (been in the box) in a while because when I sat on it, it was like sitting on a bike with struts... Hey... I'm a big guy so that's saying something. I bounced a few times and they softened up some. :biglaugh:

These are beautiful looking shocks. Anodized aluminum spring caps look great too IMO.

Here's some pics of before and after. I went from 11.5's to 12.5's as I needed a bit more lean angle and a bit more room for my tire in back. Plus one of the bikes in storage...

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 116
they blend in just like the old ones! man they look good. how was the fitment with the sleeves and such?

A little tight on the bottom next to the marks. I will have to watch the cans as they are a C hair away from the cap. I pulled out of the cans but as anyone who has a Marks system will know... They don't move much... lol

Yeah the overall look is top notch IMO.

I have the old shocks but I left them in my wife's car last night.

Chris

ahh gotcha.... hopefully its all good.

let me know when you're ready and shoot me and email and we'll take care of the specifics.

cool. sooner the better for me, as i gotta put my swingarm and shit back together and wanna get 'em on before the exhuast, which should be here this week or next. sooner if i would stop ordering things from Sean. haha.

cool. sooner the better for me, as i gotta put my swingarm and shit back together and wanna get 'em on before the exhuast, which should be here this week or next. sooner if i would stop ordering things from Sean. haha.

I'll grab them tonight then... I will ship out tomorrow. I ship UPS from work so it'll get there in a jiffy and hopefully not take a trip to Dallas... :rofl_200:

Chris

Chris, That is one of the baddest Vmaxes I've ever seen. Please, feel free to post pictures anytime!

BTW, did you have any bottoming / rubbing issues with the 11.5's with a passenger?

RR

Chris, That is one of the baddest Vmaxes I've ever seen. Please, feel free to post pictures anytime!

BTW, did you have any bottoming / rubbing issues with the 11.5's with a passenger?

RR

Well thanks and yes... I had issues WITHOUT a passenger to be honest. I am running a 180mm ME880 which IMO seems wider than most 180mm tires, including the 180 on my SV but I've never measured it. It has actually removed a lot of plastic from the inner fender. I'm hoping that with this change that will be a thing of the past.

My biggest issue was the cost of new shocks. Luckily Garret hooked me up with these for a DAMN good price.

Chris

I am working on another brand to be made but not sure I will have any luck. We'll see. I can get the Carr wheels but I have to order something like 100 sets. I don't have that kind of capital to put towards something like that!

Sean

I am working on another brand to be made but not sure I will have any luck. We'll see. I can get the Carr wheels but I have to order something like 100 sets. I don't have that kind of capital to put towards something like that!

Sean

Oh c'mon Sean. You would ONLY have to front $100,000+ :biglaugh:.

Sucks that they are doing that. Not that I have $1500 for a set of wheels.

I love the look. Very nice.

Please do share your impressions on riding with those, regarding the ability to match the rear response to the front etc. I'm strongly considering those shocks based on the appearance, as most other well built shocks look drastically "non-oem."

Thanks!

I love the look. Very nice.

Please do share your impressions on riding with those, regarding the ability to match the rear response to the front etc. I'm strongly considering those shocks based on the appearance, as most other well built shocks look drastically "non-oem."

Thanks!

Definitely will. My problem with the 412's is they were VERY under dampened for my weight. Otherwise they worked better than stock IMO. I also needed taller shocks so I pulled the trigger on these. I know they're WAY more money but I'm hoping with the IAS technology, that they're worth every penny. I have Edelbrock shocks on my truck which have the same technology and they made a drastic difference in handling from stock.

Chris

hey chris, the 412s seem to be ok here. i'm about 220, the lady is only about 105. we ran on the medium setting and no bottoming out.

hey chris, the 412s seem to be ok here. i'm about 220, the lady is only about 105. we ran on the medium setting and no bottoming out.

Let's just say I weigh MORE than you do and my wife weighs more than your "lady."

In the twisty bits it would wallow pretty bad with just me.

Chris

gotcha. was experiencing some weird handling yesterday but don't think its the shocks. if i'm in a sweeper say going over 65-70 mph and let off the acceleration i get a little shake. not stearing head, but the whole bike. it only oscillates 2-3 times then settles down but i think its pretty common. plus it was wicked windy.

I don't know how the 412's work but the HD440's work great for me taking out the wallowing that I was getting from the stock shocks. I still have to play with the preload a little bit but the shock action smoothed out the little irregularities that would upset stockers. Once I get to try out the intiminators with my lowered forks coupled with solid motor mounts 'ol Redbone should be as good as it's gonna get without upgrading to a USD front setup.

Does Progressive mark their shocks anywhere with the model # ? I have a set but can't find any markings / I.D. to determine the model # T.I.A. :ummm:

Latest posts

Back