87 octane vs. 93 octane

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i knew of a dyno close to me i'd go get it dynoed with 87 and 93 and post it up, but the closest i know of is about 3 hours away.
No need - if it works for you, GREAT! I wish mine "perked up" with higher octane fuel. You're lucky, my friend!!
I also have a dead stator and/or VR at the moment, so the bike is not performing well unless it's fresh off the battery tender. After I get them replaced (parts shipped yesterday) perhaps I'll find the same thing. In any event, as you said, it's only a matter of some spare change per tank to do it. That's some cheap performance enhancement! :punk:

I saw one paragraph that addressed to run higher octane to make more power but had absolutely zero basis on what the specifics of the engine were.

IF we had an engine that retarded timing based on feedback from a knock sensor then we'd want to run high enough octane to prevent the knock and bring back timing. OR, we'd use a knock sensor that wasn't as sensitive and stick with the lower octane. BUT, since we don't have that sophistication we have to run the octane level that simply prevents spark knock. This is pretty low on these engines since they have a very efficient combustion chamber.

Now, there has been testing at dyno shoot outs like Daytona where guys have gone on one day and then back the next day with race fuel that has a higher octane. This did get better numbers BUT it wasn't because of the octane, it was due to the oxygenated fuel of the expensive race gas. Even then there was very minimal gains (maybe a couple of HP).

Here's more info that actually discusses the why or why not on octane (I'd also like to think our personal use is more then just internet fluff too).
http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/premium-gas-when-and-why/

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline

This article links to a few others at the bottom all of which tells you that higher octane is a waste unless the engine is tuned (meaning compression, timing, ect) to run with that level and pings on lower octanes.
http://www.actiondonation.org/articles/high-octane-gasoline-facts.html

Here's an interesting article that shows increase dyno power with increased octane. BUT, most of the gains were made by the higher octanes ability to allow for more timing. This wasn't the case in each of the tests but very good overall indicator that octane and power increase are tied to more then just adding the fuel to the tank.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/fuel_octane_rating_comparison/

No need - if it works for you, GREAT! I wish mine "perked up" with higher octane fuel. You're lucky, my friend!!
I also have a dead stator and/or VR at the moment, so the bike is not performing well unless it's fresh off the battery tender. After I get them replaced (parts shipped yesterday) perhaps I'll find the same thing. In any event, as you said, it's only a matter of some spare change per tank to do it. That's some cheap performance enhancement! :punk:

i agree, i just thought it was weird that this bike perked up with 93. i ran a few tanks of 93 when i got it last year, and read on here 87 was the way to go, so thats all i ran. i figured i'd just run a tank of 93 threw it for shits and giggles, and it felt peppy, so i ran another tank, and another tank, and i think when the blended fuel was finally all 93 octane you better hold on when vboost kicks in or you you will leaning on the backrest. night and day comparison. but yeah it cheap so i'm just gonna keep it going, lol. i know with 87 i could smell fumes, rich burning fumes..... not sure with the 93, i'll check back in tomorrow after i ride to a buddys garage and do the fork seals, and other stuff. and see if they still smell like it's burning rich.

WOW!

That was an epic wheelie, reminds me of these two "motivational" posters

Attachments

• commitment.jpg
    commitment.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 5979436e.jpg
    5979436e.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 43
Okay, on the little debate about octane and power, I wonder how much HP this particular mustang is making.
Supposedly, the suspension is even stock.

Oh, it did this run on pump gas, and not race fuel. So, power can be made from the stuff at your local Exxon station...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkXbrZqlNww

I think that may be a "wheelie" car, it's built to do wheelies. Or he was at least on that run purposely trying to wheelie. A contest maybe?

I had a friend that drove a garbage truck.......he used to do wheelies with it when it was fully loaded up.

I just keep reading this thread. I'm finally gonna admit that I use Super. Even further, I use Super branded by Chevron and/or Shell if I can find it w/o pushing Lola.

I also have a why which I'm gonna share. And, in the case of Lola ... it's not about the octane rating. I choose to pay the premium to get what I believe to be the enhanced additive package available in the Super or Premium blends. I choose Chevron or Shell because they supply a superior additive blend than their competitors.

I will admit that this is old thinking. I've been spending this way since my track rat days (Road Courses and Auto X for the curious). I ran the valves tight enough that monitoring was imperative cause I couldn't have afforded to build my track car a second time. I tried lots of things including high compression which made higher octane fuel a no brainer. What I observed was a generally pristine valve train condition which arrived when I adopted a Super habit. Eventually this Super habit was refined to determine a strong preference for Chevron and with Shell's recent work on their additive blend they now rank as well.

I used to mainline Chevron's Techron much as this community mainlines Seafoam. And, just to be forthright, I've developed a mild Seafoam habit of my own. I'd used the spray version in place of Carb Cleaner for years - but I keep the liquid handy these days.

I just keep reading this thread. I'm finally gonna admit that I use Super. Even further, I use Super branded by Chevron and/or Shell if I can find it w/o pushing Lola.

I also have a why which I'm gonna share. And, in the case of Lola ... it's not about the octane rating. I choose to pay the premium to get what I believe to be the enhanced additive package available in the Super or Premium blends. I choose Chevron or Shell because they supply a superior additive blend than their competitors.

I will admit that this is old thinking. I've been spending this way since my track rat days (Road Courses and Auto X for the curious). I ran the valves tight enough that monitoring was imperative cause I couldn't have afforded to build my track car a second time. I tried lots of things including high compression which made higher octane fuel a no brainer. What I observed was a generally pristine valve train condition which arrived when I adopted a Super habit. Eventually this Super habit was refined to determine a strong preference for Chevron and with Shell's recent work on their additive blend they now rank as well.

I used to mainline Chevron's Techron much as this community mainlines Seafoam. And, just to be forthright, I've developed a mild Seafoam habit of my own. I'd used the spray version in place of Carb Cleaner for years - but I keep the liquid handy these days.

Some valid points there for sure. I've heard good things about Shell as well.....even that it makes the best power on the dyno.

What sucks where I live is that there are many "no name" generic stations around. You don't really know what you're getting with them. And with the limited range of the Max I'm sometimes forced to put in what ever I'm near.

Call me weird, but I've tried different brands and different octane ratings, and don't really notice any significant performance changes, so I just use whatever is handy when the fuel light comes on.

i try my best to only run sunoco gas in all my vehicles. i seem to get the best mileage with it. citgo, and mobil seem to just go right threw my vehicles. yesterday i went for a ride on my max after i got it inspected. i topped it off with 93, rode 90 miles topped it again with 93, and it only took 2.2xx gallons. my trip was right at 90.x miles. i wasn't riding like a slug, but i wasn't wot all the time, some of the time. i usually ride 5 to 10 over the speed limit everywhere i go. so a 55 i run 65. 40 i do 50. 30 i do 40 and so on. i haven't put any sea foam in for 3 tanks now.:ummm: i'm just gonna ride it, lol........ and when i top my tank i rock the bike to get all the air out of the tank i can so i can squeeze as much fuel in as i can.

Itgoes said it. If you pay attention even the name brand station's are putting what ever they can get for the best price in the ground. If you put super in you are taking a chance on old gas maybe not totally bad gas but not fresh. Not many people spend the money on super anymore so it sits and gets old. If im on a route that looks like the high octane pump is not used much i dont use it. In fact i put 87 in. It dont take long to burn through it and i dont do it that offten. Some pumps only have one hose for all octane and what ever is in the hose could change the octane you seek. When your with a group of bikes maybe it would be better to fuel after your fellow rider.

Some pumps only have one hose for all octane and what ever is in the hose could change the octane you seek. .

Great point, especially when we usually only pump 2.5-3.2 gallons. That hose probably holds close to a gallon at some stations where it goes up to an overhead support and comes back down.

Buy three gallons of premium and receive 1 of regular and 2 of premium

Great point, especially when we usually only pump 2.5-3.2 gallons. That hose probably holds close to a gallon at some stations where it goes up to an overhead support and comes back down.

Buy three gallons of premium and receive 1 of regular and 2 of premium

Or in my Gen II 91 minimum octane I could be pumping 87 oct great point !!:punk:

just do a rod farva and pump 1 gallon into the trash can just to make sure your down to the premium gas before pumping it into the bike :rofl_200:

According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel.

Still too much for me, but a whole lot better than a gallon!

Latest posts

Back