A Trailer To Tow With My Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
I tried to search this topic out a bit but got posts for trailering our bikes "on" a trailer.........
But i'm interested in towing a trailer "behind" my Max.....

If there's any previous posts on this topic that you know about please post me a link to them......if you have a set-up for your bike please post pics and comments about likes and dis-likes, how long you've been doing it, etc.......I'm pretty much interested in information about maximum towing weight limits for our frames/trannys/clutches, maximum tongue wieght, trailer weight, towing characteristics, good designs/bad designs......I want something that unbolts from framework fairly easy when not in use. I would think bolting up to our upper & lower rear shock mounts is probably the common design?

I have no experience with towing a trailer behind a bike.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

I tried to search this topic out a bit but got posts for trailering our bikes "on" a trailer.........
But i'm interested in towing a trailer "behind" my Max.....

If there's any previous posts on this topic that you know about please post me a link to them......if you have a set-up for your bike please post pics and comments about likes and dis-likes, how long you've been doing it, etc.......I'm pretty much interested in information about maximum towing weight limits for our frames/trannys/clutches, maximum tongue wieght, trailer weight, towing characteristics, good designs/bad designs......I want something that unbolts from framework fairly easy when not in use. I would think bolting up to our upper & lower rear shock mounts is probably the common design?

I have no experience with towing a trailer behind a bike.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

One of the guys from Ontario tows a trailer, can't think of his name offhand...maybe someone reading this knows.

yea i saw the bike in some gathering pics. i know the guys here know him.

One of the guys from Ontario tows a trailer, can't think of his name offhand...maybe someone reading this knows.

That's Tyler, but I don't think he comes on the forum very often.

09%20V%20Max.jpg

this is all I managed to come up with on my search of google...looking and reviewing other designs the general idea I got from them is 2 wheels and attempt to stay as narrow as possible,mount to the axle or shock bolts,try and keep where the arm between the trailer and axle is level height between the two.The lenght of the trailer from the bike varies but is usually enough that when the bike is turned 90 degree from it,it wont hit the bike so you can turn around in parking lots. Thats just what I observed,hope it helped.Lots of cross country folk pull trailers and whos knows what kinda distance THEY ride for so it must be well tested if they keep doing it.

We designed one sometime back and it was used to pull a trailer from Wichita to Sturgis and back. Ended up needing some frame work on his route back from overloading and where we mounted it. We mounted it on the two grabrail areas and dropped down for the ball. Worked well and would let the trailer move with the road. What the problem was (that was corrected with a little bracing) was the little frame extensions bent. Additional welding was done to the frame structure back there and all was good again.

You would not want to tie in to both the upper and lower shock mount area I don't think which might restrict chassis movement.

There is another guy from the Texas area (look for the Vmax Houston Group in Yahoo Groups) and see if you can get pics of his setup.

Sean Morley

That's Tyler, but I don't think he comes on the forum very often.
Yep that's Tyler Pennock, he's on the VMOAchat forums on Yahoo Groups. You have to join Yahoo Groups to visit this site but they have some interesting stuff.
At the Ontario Spring Icebreaker this year Tyler had his hitch on his Vmax but did not pull his trailer. One of the other guys did pull his trailer(low two wheeler) though and had a different hitch setup than Tyler.

Ah, here is a picture of Tyler's bike getting cleaned up by the group. He is the moderator of vmoatech which is another yahoo group page.
LOL, just realized I subscribe to 4 yahoo groups regarding Vmax's...:bang head:

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 47
  • Tyler Pennock's Vmax w trailer.jpg
    Tyler Pennock's Vmax w trailer.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Lots of cross country folk pull trailers and whos knows what kinda distance THEY ride for so it must be well tested if they keep doing it.

I know the touring crowd does it without thinking twice. I wanted to start with opinions with Vmax owners first.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far.......

Well....a few hours on Craigslist & Ebay last night didn't really produce anything good..........most were high priced luxury units.....and one was just a framed deal with a car "egg" strapped on top......:clapping::clapping:....something I could make..........almost......

Sears cargo carrier and homemade frame with cheap trailer axle from tractor supply.

Sean

Sears cargo carrier and homemade frame with cheap trailer axle from tractor supply.

Sean

Yup. That's what that was. :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I'm kinda interested in something in between the two extremes......the search continues.....

Back