Adhesive residue on rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg-5386

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had a new set of tires installed today. I noticed that where the old stick on weights were removed there is a lot of left over backing/residue. What is the safest way to remove this without scratching the rims? My fingernail did not seem to do much and I certainly don't want to even think of using a razor blade. I got the Metzeler me880's in stock sizes and they are great tires. Thank you.

Deep Woods Off, I'm not kidding.

It'll take almost anything off of anything, might need to soak and/or do it more than once since what you're dealing with might be sorta thick with some of the foam left.

Cingrate on the new tires, I think there the best bias tire out there.

Thanks Guys,

I found this stuff in my cabinet, tested it on a small spot first to make sure it would not eat anything and then I sprayed it on, let it sit for a minute then wiped it off with a paper towel. Worked great!!

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 10
3M adhesive remover kicks ass. I never used the aerosol though. The stuff I use has a tiny spout. I removed the factory wheel stripes from my '06 and used it to remove the sticky mess left behind. Worked better than anything else I tried

Hi Guys,

I had a new set of tires installed today. I noticed that where the old stick on weights were removed there is a lot of left over backing/residue. What is the safest way to remove this without scratching the rims? My fingernail did not seem to do much and I certainly don't want to even think of using a razor blade. I got the Metzeler me880's in stock sizes and they are great tires. Thank you.
Hi! Safest and surest way to remove "sticky"from old weights is to pull the bulky pieces off with fingers then soak a soft rag with kerosine, dab the rag onto the gum as to saturate the gum and then rub away. Kerosine contains a lot of oil so it will not harm the paint. When finished, dry area off and give a light polish,all done.
I have removed badges from motor vehicles many times and no hassle.Another trick for removing badging with double sided sticky is to get a piece of fishing line, rap around both of your index fingers and cut down through the tape with a backward and forward motion. 60lbs breaking strain line works the best.
Hope this helps!

Paul

I use Benzine. Usually removes any kind of adhesives but never tried on rims.
It can be bought on drugstores...

Back