Another carb peeing gas.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Bike has been running great till today.... On the way home, the engine started to stumble a bit at low RPM, but still ran OK at speed. Idle dropped a bit, got pretty raggedy, and I noticed a bit of gas on the right rear carb. Pulling the airbox, I noticed gas coming out the air bleed or jet on the top of tha carb, along the edge. A couple taps with a small screwdriver end got the carb to stop leaking, but a short ride later - it recurred. Off with the airbox again, and with the motor running, I also noticed a slight dribble of gas entering the carb from the point where the main needle goes into the main jet area. Other carbs don't do this. I gave it a good dose of seafoam about 150 miles ago.

Time for a shotgun or peashooter treatment? I have yet to drain float bowls to look for crap. Maybe another dose of seafoam??:bang head:

Sounds like crap coming out of tank past filter or line breaking down......

New filter going on before the bike starts next. Gonna run some carb cleaner through whatever I can get to, and drain bowls. Teardown is a last resort fix...

New filter going on before the bike starts next. Gonna run some carb cleaner through whatever I can get to, and drain bowls. Teardown is a last resort fix...

Dont blame you there after talking to danny and finding out how much just orings and gaskets are holy shit!!

Bill,
Are you running Ethanol? I had a horrible time with that stuff, even with a new filter. I never run it now. All you can do is run cleaner and drain the carbs to get the crap out. Some of the rust and crap may be coming from the carb inlets, I found that to be the case and used a small bottle brush to break it all loose. This or a Dannymax Rebuild. Good Luck.
Dave in Florida

RAWarrior mentioned the Marine formula quite awhile ago, I've been using it ever since. Keep a bottle of it next to the 5 gal. gas cans and meter out the perscribed amount prior to filling them up.

I use the treated gas for tractor, 4 Whlr., generator, chain saw, etc. (stuff that can sit awhile between useage) and haven't had any bad fuel issues on anything.

This has been mentioned before, but the best stuff I have found for ethanol treatment is StarTron. Used to be only available at boating stores because boats sit for long periods of time without being started. Now available everywhere including Wal-Mart (If cannot find in the auto chemical section, try the marine section).

Got a can of gumout, a can of seafoam, and a fuel filter.
Sprayed down every orifice I could find on all 4 carbs. Ran like crap when the stuff finally got through - it took a couple squirts, at first it was spraying back at me.....

Dosed 1/2 can Seafoam to a nearly full tank.

New gas filter.

Rode it a while, ran perfectly, strong as hell, and no sign of the sticky float.

Here's a question: I tore the old gas filter apart and found ABSOLUTELY NO signs of dirt, rust or other crap in it. The paper looked like new (although wety with gas...). Got a light and took a peek in the tank. Now the tank is pretty full, that may affect how I saw down into it... No rust anywhere, still looked mostly shiny. No corrosion around the filler neck.

I'm thinking that it's this swill that passes for gasoline had left a bit of grunge in the bowls - enough to hang up the floats a bit. I'm going to keep up the Seafoam treatment for at least 2 more tankfuls, see what happens.

Got a can of gumout, a can of seafoam, and a fuel filter.
Sprayed down every orifice I could find on all 4 carbs. Ran like crap when the stuff finally got through - it took a couple squirts, at first it was spraying back at me.....

Dosed 1/2 can Seafoam to a nearly full tank.

New gas filter.

Rode it a while, ran perfectly, strong as hell, and no sign of the sticky float.

Here's a question: I tore the old gas filter apart and found ABSOLUTELY NO signs of dirt, rust or other crap in it. The paper looked like new (although wety with gas...). Got a light and took a peek in the tank. Now the tank is pretty full, that may affect how I saw down into it... No rust anywhere, still looked mostly shiny. No corrosion around the filler neck.

I'm thinking that it's this swill that passes for gasoline had left a bit of grunge in the bowls - enough to hang up the floats a bit. I'm going to keep up the Seafoam treatment for at least 2 more tankfuls, see what happens.

I think that's probly an accurate assessment of what the problem was....glad it's getting resolved....just for reference tho, very often tank rust will hide in seams and corners and nearly impossible to spot from the fill port.

The filter being clear is a very good sign tho....was there any rust colored residue in the bottom of the float chambers? Especially #1 carb?

Yesterday, I borrowed DMans Morgan Carbtune, and had a go at synchronizing the carbs.
Ran the bike a mile or two to warm it up, and hooked up the lines. Left rear was about half an inch below left front. A bit of fiddling with the balance screw and a few blips of throttle got them dead even. Right side was way off. Rear cylinder was alost an inch lower than front. Got them even, then the 2 sides were only about 1/4" apart. A tiny adjustment got them all really close to perfectly even. They all rose and fell together when blipped, and evened right out immediately. Took the bike out for a 10 miler, and was amazed at the difference in how it ran.... I stopped at a friends house, and before I had a chance to tell him what I did, he commented on the face that the bike sounds great.

He's a long time Seafoam fan, and I told him about the sticky floats. He reminded me that Seafoam isn't an "instant" cure for a gummed up carb - 150 miles isn't long enough for it to do a complete job.. So, I've got this full tank dosed now, and enough to do one more full tank at a double strength mixture.

And the float bowls aren't leaking any more.. I REALLY want to ride the Max to Thunder, hopefully this problem is / will be resolved (I'm feeling good about it!). I did all the work to get the saddlebags on, and the turn signals moved, and a windscreen mounted - now to use the damn thing!

Bike was running OK this morning.. Took it out for a ride - still OK... I had the idea to clean the air filter, as it hadn't been done for a while.

Here's what I found.........

Now it really runs good! Damn mice ate most of the paper filter material - so the bike is temporarily out of service till the new filter gets here...

However, I did reassemble it and do a short blast down the street. Holy Crap!!
Dial - A - Wheelie when it hits the Boost!!!:punk:

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 47
  • crap in filter.jpg
    crap in filter.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 43
New filter is in, the bike runs great! Thunder, here we come. (After the coolant change and the new rear tire.)

^ Godzilla is definitely running well, it sounds great !!!!
All your work has it sounding/running like it should again !

Bike was running OK this morning.. Took it out for a ride - still OK... I had the idea to clean the air filter, as it hadn't been done for a while.

Here's what I found.........

Now it really runs good! Damn mice ate most of the paper filter material - so the bike is temporarily out of service till the new filter gets here...

However, I did reassemble it and do a short blast down the street. Holy Crap!!
Dial - A - Wheelie when it hits the Boost!!!:punk:
Can I interest you in a very nice , cuddly , easy keep , CAT ?

#1 carb started peeing again yesterday. Drained out all 4 carbs. #1 may have had a bit of crap in it - not much, and it was hard to see. While the drain was open, I ran the pump long enough to be certain that the gas coming out was absolutely clear, no crap or residue. Put the bike together, and the carb didn't leak. Still there was no residue in the new fuel filter. I'm thinking it's time for a new set of fuel lines, from the pump to the carbs, tank/filter, and filter pump/ inlet.... 28 years old - I'd bet the lines are getting flaky inside, past the filter, and fouling up the carbs. We just had installed a set of fork springs on the bike, and did run it pretty hard a few times (8,000rpm.). Wonder if that shook some crap loose that may have been hiding in the carb??

Latest posts

Back