Bought an '05 Today, What to Mod First?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxwellSmart

Reaction score
I've been lurking for weeks but finally took the plunge and bought an '05 on E-Bay today. Photos look immaculate and it only has 1200 miles on it...hope it's just as nice whan it gets here!

I'm thinking first mods will be seat and exhaust. This site has been a wealth of information so far!

Anyone here that has an '05 please chime in with photos and/or advice.

I think first thing that needs to be determined is what type of rider or riding you'll be doing. Than the bike can be set up for it.

For some, handling is the main improvement, others it's performance or even both.

A look at the old threads by catagory and the VMF LINK icon above has alot of the answers that you are looking for.

Good luck and nice choice of bike to start with.

:cheers: Mike

Congrats on the new max...
I think the first thing you need to do is put a back rest on. I would hate to see you lose agent 99 when you hit the vboost :oops:

Back rests are for pussy's... Oh wait...:whistlin:

Glad you've become a Vmax owner and made the right choice by coming here...

Your '05 is much like all of ours. Check out the garage in the upper menu bar for pics of most of our rides. I hope ^^Bill^^ updated his as he just blinged his out with new paint...

Cheers,
Chris

Everybodies got thier own opinion but for me the first mods would be
Better rear shocks
Better front fork springs with cartridge emulators
Fork brace and frame braces
Seat, you'll find the stock one doesn't suit many people

Rusty

Everybodies got thier own opinion but for me the first mods would be
Better rear shocks
Better front fork springs with cartridge emulators
Fork brace and frame braces
Seat, you'll find the stock one doesn't suit many people

Rusty

I think aftermarket exhaust should be at the top of the list. Huge improvement!

I've got 16,000 miles on my new 06. And I have to say without a doubt! It's the seat!
Seat, fork spring upgrade and frame braces. Are the first three things on my list.
I've got the seat, still waiting to get fork spring and emulators done next.
Man!... I really need to hit the Lotto!

i must of been on a harley to long...mine feels great just the way it came from the factory

Congrats on the new max...
I think the first thing you need to do is put a back rest on. I would hate to see you lose agent 99 when you hit the vboost :oops:
Agent 99 and Sharon Stone are from Evans City.Right down the road from me.A sissy bar is a must if anyone is going to ride on the back.The removable one that is on my bike works perfect since I do not like it on their unless riding 2up or if I have my travel bag on it.

Agent 99 and Sharon Stone are from Evans City.Right down the road from me.A sissy bar is a must if anyone is going to ride on the back.The removable one that is on my bike works perfect since I do not like it on their unless riding 2up or if I have my travel bag on it.

Shawn i heard sharon stone was from our area, but didn't know about agent 99. what was her real name? And i agree with you on the backrest, i hate the looks of them but they are a necessity if you have a passenger. I don't want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a rice paddy since i already have one. I just got mine powder coated black to kind of blend in with the seat better.

Shawn i heard sharon stone was from our area, but didn't know about agent 99. what was her real name? And i agree with you on the backrest, i hate the looks of them but they are a necessity if you have a passenger. I don't want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a rice paddy since i already have one. I just got mine powder coated black to kind of blend in with the seat better.

Barbara Feldon,I guess she is from Bethal Park.Sharon Stone is from Meadville.Wrong on both counts.

Morley's Or Ufo Seat Is # 1 , Wide Flander's Drag Bars With No Rise & The Shortest Amount Of Pullback Is # 2, And Progressive Rear Shocks # 3, Man I Died & Wen't To Heaven With These Changes !!!

The best mod i ever did to my 05 and felt 100% different {better} ride and control was the wheels w/radial tires. radial tires is the only way to go for me. rolls easier, pushes around easier, ect. will take lots of cash, but once you have a radial, you will never go back.

The mods you choose to do first should reflect your riding style and improve the Vmax to that end. For me and my '92 it's brakes and suspension. I would have to say that I am more of a hot rod cruiser type of rider. I don't normally need to see how fast I can go through a corner, but sometimes I do.
I have just sent my seat off to Sean to have it fixed, ordered progressive front springs, EBC HH front brake pads, Bridgestone front tire (rear replaced late fall '07) new drag bars/ grips, led tailight, led turn signals, smaller windshield, new mirrors, and a new radiator grill.
Currently looking for rear progressive shocks, oil pressure guage, and may be purchasing galfer SS clutch/ front and rear brake lines via group buy.
In the future I would like to add: Marks SS exhaust, stage 7 carb kit, 18"Carrozzeria rims (front and back), USD R1 forks, and maybe those sweet black see thru engine covers (all 4 covers under $1k w/ exchange)

My first mod on my 99 was to get rid of them HP robbing Cobra Slash Cuts and install a Kerker 4-1. Next was to take the seat to an upolestry shop and have chop it so I didnt feel as I was riding on phone book.
Cheap Upgrades to start:
Change the headlight bulb to a higher wattage, make sure you change the socket also or it will melt.

Drag Bars get rid of them Schwin handlebars.

Change the rear tire to a 180 70 15

Those are the simple and cheap ones first.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, like everyone else said.

Me, I mostly care about crusing around on the weekend. I don't ride exceptionally hard and I do most of my hard riding in a straight line. In my opinion, I am the guy the V-Max was invented for. The acceleration junky. Mine is an '85 and came with a few mods already, like progressive front springs, a re-jet and some visual mods. The bike is plenty fast for me, but too quiet. The first thing I bought was a set of Super-Trapp slipons. I am still waiting for them, but from the clips I have heard and seen they will be a huge improvement in sound.

I see alot of people mention the seat. I bought my V-Max beause my RZ350 was killing me on weekend rides in excess of 30 minutes. I can easily do 3 hours or more on the stock V-Max seat. In my opinion riding this bike is like commanding an 11 second Lay-Z-Boy. Others obviously have different opinions!:biglaugh: I set my rear shocks pretty soft and find the bike very comfortable. It handles fine for me as well. I am not hanging off the side and grinding hard parts, just taking my time through the corners. I have the RZ for that stuff if I am so inclined.

My future planned upgrades include mostly maintenance and detail related issues. I need to get my valves checked and adjusted and I still am trying to track down a slow start issue. Other than that I am just working on cleaning mine up. For the amount of riding I do, the bike is perfect as is.

Watch out though...you can go crazy on the mods with these! It could easily become an obsession. :eusa_dance:

Mike

I
Watch out though...you can go crazy on the mods with these! It could easily become an obsession. :eusa_dance:

Obsession is an understatement. My wife finally got out the calculator to inform me of how much my mods have cost to date:

Cost of bike: $7k

Cost of mods: $15k:surprise:

Check out the list in the Garage for mods.......... to date:biglaugh:

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
VMOA# 4046
Western Ontario Chapter Leader:rocket bike:

Latest posts

Back