Broken Engine Parts Thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" HOLY SHIT " , THATS FUCKED UP WITH THAT " O " RING HANGING OUT OF THE OIL PUMP PASSAGE ! ... I'M SO FRIGGING GLAD THAT I DID THE UP-DATE KIT TO MINE ! ... THANKS FOR THE PICTURES SEAN ! .. :punk:

Diddo! 150 miles and did mine... :eusa_dance:

Check this block out. Nice little window - look by the waterpump. You can even look into the bore and see the carrillo rod broken in half there.

Attachments

• P1013937.jpg
    P1013937.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 37
is this a hint of more vid's to come sean?

never had a problem with my starter clutch but definitely easy to see how to check the bolts while i'm in there.

lucky your at that point garrett, i was just in there, chg my gasket and should have checked them, just slipped my mind. Oh well lets see, murphy's law says that i will be opening it up again cause i didnt look at it. cest la vie.

I had it slip/spin a couple of times but it caught the next time I hit the starter. I also heard the box-o-rocks on differnt occasions but since I put in a PC680 last summer I never heard the box-o-rocks nor did it free spin again. I should have checked it out after I heard the box-o-rocks the first time but I guess the fresh battery covered the problem up.
The video looks great Sean, shows exactly what you should looking for when you suspect loose starter clutch bolts.

Last edited:
Sean, after watching your starter clutch video, It makes me wonder if a friends Yamaha Virago 1100 has the same set up as the Vmax? His bike sounds like he has a bunch of rocks in there when he hits the start button, and sometimes the starter doesn't always catch on the first try. Has a new battery. Even though the engine is a V-tiwn, I wonder if Yammy used the same style of starter clutch?

Some of the Virago's had a completely different starter clutch with their own issues. They used a style more similar to a car where it actually has parts that kick in and out to engage the flywheel. There are fix kits out there too. I may even have a CD with tips and what's involved.

Sean

I am not sure of the year of the Virago and I will pass the info along, Thanks. On another note, after seeing the "o-ring" problem, do you recommend that all Vmax engines have the mod done? Mine is the 06 model, and I mostly cruise on it, with occasional bursts...of course! Perhaps an oil gauge kit would be a useful item as well.

Oil gauge will help and not sure if it's worth yanking the exhaust down but if it's coming off for any reason the pan gasket is cheap to get a look inside. My HD oiling kit is a good kit to use and also requires taking apart the clutch (still pretty easy). Warm the engine up well before really revving it hard will help keep even the OEM ring in place.

Very rarely do I take one apart that has had problems that the ring is in place.

I'll try to do more videos and post them this year. Maybe I should start a thread with them?

Sean

OK thanks. I searched the O-ring issue here and found LOTS of debate! I think your video idea is great! Short, and tells exactly what to look for. That's nice of you to share with us what has taken you years to learn!

Oil gauge will help and not sure if it's worth yanking the exhaust down but if it's coming off for any reason the pan gasket is cheap to get a look inside. My HD oiling kit is a good kit to use and also requires taking apart the clutch (still pretty easy). Warm the engine up well before really revving it hard will help keep even the OEM ring in place.

Very rarely do I take one apart that has had problems that the ring is in place.

I'll try to do more videos and post them this year. Maybe I should start a thread with them?

Sean

Glad to see this Sean....always felt that over revving is prolly what causes most, if not all, o-ring failures. Certainly some addl. insurance like your HD oiling kit and an O/P gauge is a good thing....especially if the bike is driven hard....but for everday, "reasonable" riding....highly unlikely anyone will have issues.

I think the short video on the starter clutch bolts was very helpful. I'd very much like to see more vids if you don't mind taking the time. Thank you! :worthy:

i feel like a gauge will let you know if you have a problem and a much simpler install.

Sean -> love the vids man, keep them coming. would love its own thread that only you can post on. then discussions can take place elsewhere.

More broken parts! This one is the worst offical I have had. Broke a carrillo rod in I am not even sure how many parts. BUT, with the oiling mod and re-inforced case (note the billet steel internal cradle) the rod still turned freely on the crank.

Sean

Attachments

• Broken Parts 001.jpg
    Broken Parts 001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 36
  • Broken Parts 002.jpg
    Broken Parts 002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Broken Parts 003.jpg
    Broken Parts 003.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Broken Parts 005.jpg