Broken Engine Parts Thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread is our worst nightmare. im changing my oil regularly and never taking it past 8500 rpm ever again

OK, more broken pics. Just got this customers engine apart yesterday (Brian your's is next to be worked on).

Note the blown out o-ring and location the rod ended up in the block. The rest of the damage speaks for itself. The engine was idling when that failure occurred.

Sean
:thumbs up: :thumbs up: Sean, more $$$'s on it's way Monday.

man. everyone should buy the $30 pressure gauge to make sure it doesn't happen.

OK, more broken pics. Just got this customers engine apart yesterday (Brian your's is next to be worked on).

Note the blown out o-ring and location the rod ended up in the block. The rest of the damage speaks for itself. The engine was idling when that failure occurred.

Sean

Hey Sean, what year was this engine?

this thread is our worst nightmare. im changing my oil regularly and never taking it past 8500 rpm ever again

I change my oil Very offten,but your pics are scarring the shit out of me,even with a spare motor under my bench!:ummm:

Yep, its something similar to mine failure :confused2:

Its some kind of tutorial: How to remove the crank through oil pan :rofl_200:

HD oiling system and some tricky welded M16 shim and it should never happen again.

man. everyone should buy the $30 pressure gauge to make sure it doesn't happen.

Nahh...when you're flying 150mph its a last thing you're watching :rofl_200:
When bearing starts to spun you have hmmm :ummm: maybe 2 seconds.

Yep, its something similar to mine failure :confused2:

Its some kind of tutorial: How to remove the crank through oil pan :rofl_200:

HD oiling system and some tricky welded M16 shim and it should never happen again.

Nahh...when you're flying 150mph its a last thing you're watching :rofl_200:
When bearing starts to spun you have hmmm :ummm: maybe 2 seconds.

agreed but if you start seeing signs the o-ring is popping u can replace it ahead of time.

Bad Trans Pics (this is yours Brian). Found you issues (there were a lot). Rest of the engine looks good (from what little I can see from the bottom side up). Note the o-ring is in place still.

Sean

Attachments

• O-Ring in Place.jpg
    O-Ring in Place.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Chipped Gear.jpg
    Chipped Gear.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Dogs Rounded.jpg
    Dogs Rounded.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Damaged Drum.jpg
    Damaged Drum.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Dpgs Rounded Side View.jpg
    Dpgs Rounded Side View.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Rounded Dogs fifth to 2nd gear.jpg
    Rounded Dogs fifth to 2nd gear.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 44
That is normal wear since it sits only partially on the boss of the pan.

Sean

Bad Trans Pics (this is yours Brian). Found you issues (there were a lot). Rest of the engine looks good (from what little I can see from the bottom side up). Note the o-ring is in place still.

Sean
Hmm, looks like I got her to ya just in time! That the first thing I looked for, I'm happy it hadn't popped. Is the wear/ damage indicative of high mileage, hard use, or other issues?
She started acting up in September but it was still rideable (somewhat) but had to skip second. I'm really not sure the actual miles on the bike as I bought it with the speedometer at 4300 miles but I suspect it has quite a few more than the 18 k than the speedometer reads now.

Hmm, looks like I got her to ya just in time! That the first thing I looked for, I'm happy it hadn't popped. Is the wear/ damage indicative of high mileage, hard use, or other issues?
She started acting up in September but it was still rideable (somewhat) but had to skip second. I'm really not sure the actual miles on the bike as I bought it with the speedometer at 4300 miles but I suspect it has quite a few more than the 18 k than the speedometer reads now.

Just pure simple abuse, Brian. It's just not right to beat on Redbone like that. You should be ashamed of yourself :rofl_200:

Seriously, wear & tear and I know that you have some rough roads like I do in my parts, so hard acceleration , quick shifting and potholes = bad second gear.

Mike

It's hard to say but it was pretty ate up. Not seen a drum that rough in a long time though! Some gears actually looked good but then others were nasty. Pics don't really show it as bad as what I think it was. The dogs should be sharp edged and not rounded. Hopefully you can see it in the pic.

Either way it will be all better when we send it back. I expect I will have it buttoned back up by the end of the week and over to the strippers (not that kind of stripper).

I will note that the filter was missing the preload spring and washer so the filter was pretty much not doing anything. The blown up engine also had that missing. Usually I find the washer missing but not the spring too.

Sean

It's hard to say but it was pretty ate up. Not seen a drum that rough in a long time though! Some gears actually looked good but then others were nasty. Pics don't really show it as bad as what I think it was. The dogs should be sharp edged and not rounded. Hopefully you can see it in the pic.

Either way it will be all better when we send it back. I expect I will have it buttoned back up by the end of the week and over to the strippers (not that kind of stripper).

I will note that the filter was missing the preload spring and washer so the filter was pretty much not doing anything. The blown up engine also had that missing. Usually I find the washer missing but not the spring too.

Sean
I'll have to check my parts baggies I may have forgot it when I drained the oil for shipping. I know it was there when I changed it in August.

Just pure simple abuse, Brian. It's just not right to beat on Redbone like that. You should be ashamed of yourself :rofl_200:

Seriously, wear & tear and I know that you have some rough roads like I do in my parts, so hard acceleration , quick shifting and potholes = bad second gear.

Mike
Ha Ha, yeah that's just my inner hooligan in me that shows up most times just after good 'ol Redbone gets started up! I normally slip the helmet on quickly and restrain it until I get out on the open road but then it's all over!:rocket bike:

Hey Sean,

Any chances you can take any pics of you installing your oiling upgrade kit in one of these motors? I've never gotten around to putting mine in yet. Not sure if I want to tear down my bike anymore than what it is till I know I've got some replacement parts coming. Gary, Gary ?? Are you out there. The snow is melting and I am getting anxious.

I know I have a "how to" with diagrams on the website. Maybe I can get pics to add to it.

Sean

Back