Can't decide bro's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
I'm assuming that your bike is red becasue the pic in your signature is red.......lol I looked at all 3 in red and I think they are very close and I see why you are having a hard time making up your mind. If it was me and seeing they are so close I would save the $50 and go with the Cortech 2010 Model RCX Jacket

Just my 2 cents

Ron

I went with this one:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/10310/ITEM/Tour-Master-Flex-Series-2-Jacket.aspx
And I couldn't be happier. I was flirting with -f temps when I started riding this year. I didn't have the thermal layer installed and was still comfy warm. Its kinda like 3 jackets in one. Now I have both the thermal liner and outer shell taken off and am more than fine. Its a well vented jacket, nice armor in the back shoulders and elbows.

This gal did a write up on her's: http://excessivelocity.blogspot.com/2006/08/review-tourmaster-flex-jacket.html You can see the jacket dissasembled with all the shells and liners.

If those three are your only choices, I'd go with the Cortech GX. IMO it looks the best and seems to have the most "features" as well as working in a wide temperature range.

I personally prefer mesh type jackets, they really can't be beat for hot weather riding. When you're moving they hold no heat whatsoever, you can literally feel the breeze blowing over you. On the flip side, they're useless for protection in cold weather. A wind-proof liner helps, but they're still not great for anything much cooler than about 60 degrees.

This is the "new" version(I have the Phoenix 4.0), but it looks to be pretty much the same aside from a minor style change
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/13172/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Phoenix-5-0-Jacket.aspx

Though since you're in Seattle, a mesh type might not be a great idea. Rain "blows right through" them also, but on the other hand they also blow dry in a couple minutes instead of days.

I personally prefer mesh type jackets, they really can't be beat for hot weather riding. When you're moving they hold no heat whatsoever, you can literally feel the breeze blowing over you. On the flip side, they're useless for protection in cold weather. A wind-proof liner helps, but they're still not great for anything much cooler than about 60 degrees.

Thats what attracted me to the tourmaster flex II, take off the outer shell and your sporting a mesh jacket with cortech armor. If it starts to rain, it takes about 2 min to put the outer shell back on.

Color really isn't important, Bike is red but black or silver would work. I'm more for the function. I looked into the Flex Series 2 Jacket as well but couldn't find a site that really explained the whole liner, mesh and wind proof part, like what can be used with what combo. Now with KJ's link I may have to put it in the mix...Now one more to figure out.
Temp is def a consideration, I leave for work at 5:30 and its COOOOLD this time of year, and then up into the 80's at 3:00 in the afternoon. Sweating never killed anyone that I know about but keeping warm is a must. Money isn't too big a problem, they're all fairly reasonable. I was leaning to the cortech GX sport though.

Color really isn't important, Bike is red but black or silver would work. I'm more for the function. I looked into the Flex Series 2 Jacket as well but couldn't find a site that really explained the whole liner, mesh and wind proof part, like what can be used with what combo. Now with KJ's link I may have to put it in the mix...Now one more to figure out.
Temp is def a consideration, I leave for work at 5:30 and its COOOOLD this time of year, and then up into the 80's at 3:00 in the afternoon. Sweating never killed anyone that I know about but keeping warm is a must. Money isn't too big a problem, they're all fairly reasonable. I was leaning to the cortech GX sport though.
Check out WebBike World's review.

I have purchased the http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/9476/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Moto-Morph-Jacket.aspx and its a three layer jacket. I love the fit and style. It comes in red too, but I went all black.

I'm liking my Icon motorhead leather, removable liner and perf sleeves and plenty of vents. I would rather sweat then bleed....

I wanted a leather jacket so I tried a Cortech but didn't like the fit. I then tried a Joe Rocket Sonic which looked to fit my needs; armour in the elbows, shoulders and back. Actually the back is a foam style protector and not CE arnour. It works very well and has worked in 90 degree and down to 27 degree weather. It flows a good amount of air for a leather jacket due to it's design but I'm not had any experiance of wearing it in hot hot weather for any real length of time.

Here is a MCSS video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7KvC3U1cWE

Ive had leather jackets in the past and the only problem I found was that they weigh so much more than a textile. The only comparable ones were cheap coz the leather was too thin.

Maybe I need to hit the gym...

+1 I love my JR Sonic!! :thumbs up:

Brian recommended this jacket to me last fall, it's a great choice for areas that get the stupid wide weather swings that we do. I've ridden comfortably in 80 deg. temps, and just can't imagine it ever being too cold for this jacket! I'm really pleased with it...thanks bro! :worthy:

Not much help if you're looking for textile tho.....but the gym idea is a little drastic don't cha think?

Ive had leather jackets in the past and the only problem I found was that they weigh so much more than a textile. The only comparable ones were cheap coz the leather was too thin.

Maybe I need to hit the gym...
The Icon motorhead is heavy, I have a Scorpion textile also. Much lighter and much less protection.

Coretech and Tourmaster are the same company. I believe Coretech tends to be their "younger" looking brand.

I have a Coretech jacket and it's been the best jacket I've owned. It's held up VERY well. I've tried to replace it several times but keep going back to it.

Chris

You might want to check out http://www.newenough.com

I agree with redbone. Check out this place and start in the closeouts.
Here you can get both textile and leather for close to the price of the others.
Great place and best prices. So what if it was last years model.
I have leather and textile. I like both and weight of leather you don't really notice when its on.
Weather does vary so does my riding gear.

Grant

I actually like the idea of the hemp jackets... No not for that reason!

It's VERY light weight!

Problem is it looks like a Members Only Jacket or something... NOT COOL!

Chris

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/gt_air/gt_air.htm

i have this one. works great when its 90 with vents open and is good down to 50 or colder depending on how many layers you wear.

not sure about your build, but i have a hard time finding jackets that fit me correctly and this this did. im xxl, bigger in shoulders and chest with a 34 " waist. all other xxl jackets waists are huge and dont fit snug on my waist.

downfall of these is not the greatest colors

you can find it on ebay sometimes for cheaper.

Latest posts

Back