DD Clutch Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about adding the Dale Walker power shifting kit. Just wasn't to cheap plus I don't clutch shift most the time anyhow. I wish I was one of the ones that didn't have the issue trust me on that.

DD is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do to a Vmax. Hands down no questions about it.

Now breaking things, well if you kept it all stock you would probably still break 2nd gear. If you break third gear, your trying too hard.

Drive shafts are made to break. They are a fail safe point. I snapped 5 of them ( maybe 6 ). I all at the track. All on 2nd gear shifts. If the drive shaft didn't break 2nd gear probably would have let go. I want to say around 14,000 miles on a DD setup with a Shinko tire ( 3 of them actually ). My bike was all stock except for an exhaust setup and ran 11.0's all day back to back. There was a 10.90 in there some place if I would have kept it. But I had to go faster so I sold it.

Bottom line, DD clutch mod is tough if your city driving and stopping and going every 400 feet. The clutch is only made for first gear anyways. You shouldn't be using the clutch to up shift, just blip the throttle and hit your shift lever, whether your going fast or slow.

Todd

Go for it, I did you may like it. It reminds me of a spec stage 3 race clutch I have run in my drag cars(which I drove on the street). It is either on or off.

Well from what I remember...the #1 reason that 2nd gear would break is NOT clutching 1-2 shifts.

Ive done the DD mod...and love it...now that being said...I also bought 2 used driveshafts and just have them sitting out in the garage just in case. I don't routinely race the bike, I have raced a couple of people and when I go from 1st to 2nd, the bike always pops a small wheelie.

Sticky tires, extended swingarm, DD clutch mod+ a balls out speed shift resulted in a grenaded u joint, and cracked engine block. The driveshaft was fine though :biglaugh:

I fixed everything and left the DD in there. I've since used a little more finesse on the 1-2 upshift and haven't had any problems.

I converted to the Barnett coil clutch plate...so I have all the parts it replaced including the original diaphragm spring...just pay for shipping & it's yours...

Sticky tires, extended swingarm, DD clutch mod+ a balls out speed shift resulted in a grenaded u joint, and cracked engine block. The driveshaft was fine though :biglaugh:

I fixed everything and left the DD in there. I've since used a little more finesse on the 1-2 upshift and haven't had any problems.
:rofl_200:
Yeah that finesse part is the key to not destroying the drive train.

For engine longevity....warm up that oil before romping!

I converted to the Barnett coil clutch plate...so I have all the parts it replaced including the original diaphragm spring...just pay for shipping & it's yours...
Good man, helping out the Bro's.
clapping.gif

I know its prolly a silly question, but I want to do the DD mod and I am trying to aquire the parts right now. Soo... all I need to do the mod is an extra clutch spring, and one more (full size friction disk)? Read the description and having a little trouble grasping the concept. Thanks, in advance guys.

I know its prolly a silly question, but I want to do the DD mod and I am trying to aquire the parts right now. Soo... all I need to do the mod is an extra clutch spring, and one more (full size friction disk)? Read the description and having a little trouble grasping the concept. Thanks, in advance guys.
This should help you. http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

Back