Documented build thread 88 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Going to document a blow by blow progress build report on my 88 Max which I just purchased to add to the bike collection.
I'll add pictures as I go and keep it all in one thread.

Apart from looking tatty it is in quite good shape mechanically with only 29k on the clock, one owner an old guy, former policeman. I had to ride from Wellington to Auckland, about 650k and it handled really well with no wobble and plenty of power. I had 2 complete cutouts on the way, just shutdown in complete darkness in the middle of nowhere lol , but I wiggled the sidestand as I'm sure that's what it was all about, fired it up and away I went.

Anyway attached is the "before" picture and let the mods begin:punk:

Attachments

• work 012 (Large).jpg
    work 012 (Large).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 122
  • work 013 (Large).jpg
    work 013 (Large).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
AWSOME. Can't wait to see what the Jedi master comes up with! You have any ideas your going to throw at us or are you just gonna surprise us?

Looks like this is going to be a very interesting thread. Looking forward to seeing the evolution of this project jedi style.

Mike

You forgot to mention what happened to the right mirror .:wave bye:

Yeah, forgot to mention that blasting from Wellington to Palmerston with gunrunner at about 120k the rh mirror snapped off like a carrot and smacked
me in the chest and then bounced off into the distance, scared the crap out of me.
The stock brakes on the bike feel awful, like someone sprayed WD40 on the discs, not much fun when traveling 650k like that.

You have any ideas your going to throw at us or are you just gonna surprise us?

A different front end and different swingarm is all I'll say lol

Been screwing about in solidworks to make a radiator grill. When I'm happy with the design I'll get it laser cut out of stainless steel.

Attachments

• rad (Large).jpg
    rad (Large).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 80
I like the radiator design, but maybe instead of the long oval cut out you could repeat the 3 line of the engine "fins"/ side cover lower section? Just my :twocents: FWIW.
Oh man, that's a flash back, the stock brakes are scary for sure. Any new owner should seriously consider changing to EBC HH pads or equivalent. Thanks to Jedi's handiwork (brake adapters) I have upgraded to larger wavy rotors, which are working out perfectly!
Looking forward to your new creation Jedi!

Been screwing about in solidworks to make a radiator grill. When I'm happy with the design I'll get it laser cut out of stainless steel.

And i have just ordered one as you well know , with the $NZD the way it is you could make a few $$$ and make some of our overseas Vmax brothers happy

:clapping: :punk: :clapping:

Thanks for the input, I quite like this updated version and might use it.
I'll probably run afew off when I do mine.

Attachments

• part2xddm.jpg
    part2xddm.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 60
Can you do 1 off designs or did you want to do a mass run of one design?

Can you do 1 off designs or did you want to do a mass run of one design?

One off designs can be made, although it would be cheaper to do more than one.

Made a tool today to swage out velocity stacks rather than machine them like I did on my 1990.
Worked really well and used stainless steel tube, really easy to make now.
The inner ones will be shorter so they don't smack my knees. I'll polish,paint or chrome them, not sure yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0015 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0015 (Large).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 53
Starting to roll into action now, got some tubing to make the exhausts, getting the grill laser cut and going to laser cut these highway pegs/engine protector brackets.

Attachments

• bottom side.jpg
    bottom side.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 12
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 10
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 11
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 10
Got the grills back and test fitted one to the other bike and it all fits well.

Attachments

• IMG_0031 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0031 (Large).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 68
Radiator cover fitted and have made some crash bar/highway pegs.
I have yet to make the pegs but dummy test fitted the bracket which I roughly painted with a rattle can to get a feel of the look in black. I have now made a jig to produce more of them.
The bike is about to get stripped apart for the mods to begin.

Attachments

• IMG_0074 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0074 (Large).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0057 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0057 (Large).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0070 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0070 (Large).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0072 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0072 (Large).jpg