Feds pushing to reduce hp to 75

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
U.S. Government to Limit Motorcycle Engine Output to 75 Horsepower.

Acting preemptively in light of the European Union's recent push to follow in France's footsteps by limiting motorcycle horsepower to 100, Congress has quietly passed a transportation bill that will cap motorcycle engine output at 75 hp.

At a press conference today, DOT spokesman Melvin P. Meyers announced that "We can't lag behind Europe's progressive stance towards two-wheeled moderation." The bill not only limits the horsepower of current and future motorcycle models, it retroactively applies to any registered bike on the road, and will take effect as early as January, 2011. "In the interest of public safety," Meyers explains, "law enforcement officials will clamp down on any and all motorcyclists who violate the law."

The bill outlines numerous electronic and mechanical implements that reduce engine output. For instance, fuel-injected powerplants will be fitted with revised engine management chips and/or throttle bodies, while older carbureted bikes will have a reduction gear attached to the throttle assembly. In instances where owners choose to retain the mechanical authenticity of their motorcycles, a banana can also be slipped into the exhaust pipe(s). At the discretion of state police, mobile dynamometers may be utilized for field tests.

Both the Motorcycle Industry Council and the American Motorcyclist Association have lobbied against the bill, in addition to most manufacturers including Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Triumph, and Yamaha.

There has been no comment from Harley-Davidson, though Forbes reports that Harley stock has jumped 12 percent on the announcement.

However, there has been talks of a compromise that stated the HP of all US and imported motorcycles be raised to 80 HP. Forbes now reports that Harley stock fell 62 percent after the update.

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: Very Funny..............:biglaugh:
This is how rumors start...... 75 Horse Power...:rofl_200:

This has been coming for years. , I know in parts of Europe you start off riding a 50cc scooter then after a yr. and big price jump you can step up too a bigger cc scooter. Last time I talked with a buddy it took him 5 yrs. and all kinds of test to get back to a 1000 cc motorcycle .

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: Very Funny..............:biglaugh:
This is how rumors start...... 75 Horse Power...:rofl_200:

LOL, it was on a site as an April fools joke. I had to pass it on.
Some people were pissed and talking about gov mandates etc.. turns out they never read the end. there were too pissed off and quit reading in the middle.

On a serious note there is a bill out like this that has been put back on the back burner many times in the last few yrs. . Got a good friend that works in the Federal Government and this has been brought to the table many times but due to the economy and other factors it keeps getting pushed back , some yrs. ago they had the Clunker bill and they were trying to pass this in with that bill . He is coming back home in a few weeks and I will try and get the info on this and where you can see it at. I just Thank God it has never even been given a serious looking at by the Government.

Would you believe I was livid reading this.... I too was about to do a google search lol good one. Lol.

Peace,
Evan....

i was about to get pissed. i kinda knew it was fake at the carb chain jokes but the banana is what had me laugh out loud.

you scared me bro u scared me

Its only a matter of time before the Gov't passes a mandate that ALL vehicles on the road must be ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle). I could also see our Gov't placing restrictions on HP once they get wind of the 1000cc sportbikes pushing 200hp.

and just to add on top of it, Nothing sure about the 100hp extended to full EU yet. France might need to let go this resolution if not adapted by all EU members.
Few last articles, I saw were more about lifting the HP limit since practically France roads are not safer than other EU ones.

Frances roads are good if you occasionally like to ride in big circles, enjoy amber headlights, and don't try to travel in August.

Back