First time on the dyno...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I put my bike on the dyno today for the first time. It was at a bike night, so they didn't have any hookups for A/F, but I got the general info that I needed.
PEAK HP: 117.2 HP @ 9000 RPM
PEAK TQ: 78.62 lb/ft @ 7062 RPM

This is with a Kerker 4-1 with a 2.5" Comp baffle and Morley's kit with 162 mains. I'm at 640 ft. above sea level.
Oddly, though, the engine began to smoke while it was on the dyno. I think it was just because there was poor air circulation around the bike and it was hot outside.

I put my bike on the dyno today for the first time. It was at a bike night, so they didn't have any hookups for A/F, but I got the general info that I needed.
PEAK HP: 117.2 HP @ 9000 RPM
PEAK TQ: 78.62 lb/ft @ 7062 RPM

This is with a Kerker 4-1 with a 2.5" Comp baffle and Morley's kit with 162 mains.
Oddly, though, the engine began to smoke while it was on the dyno. I think it was just because there was poor air circulation around the bike and it was hot outside.

What is your elevation? I am at sea level and only have 157.5 mains with same setup. You might be running rich. What was the color of the smoke?

What is your elevation? I am at sea level and only have 157.5 mains with same setup. You might be running rich. What was the color of the smoke?

I edited my post. 640 ft. above sea level. I kinda thought that maybe I was running a bit rich. I'm not sure what color the smoke was. I think maybe it was grey?

I edited my post. 640 ft. above sea level. I kinda thought that maybe I was running a bit rich. I'm not sure what color the smoke was. I think maybe it was grey?

If you can have someone follow you on the bike and take it out for some tough paces and have them tell the color of the smoke. That will help in determining which way to go.
Also if you can get to a shop with an A/F meter. I am not the carb expert here but 165s seem a little rich with your setup.

That's an awful big jet... I would step down at least one size if not two. A dyno without and A/F meter is almost worthless when tuning IMO. Being that it was at bike night I can understand it though.

When I dropped the bike off at the shop, I told the guy which jets to use. He called Sean for more clarification on the whole kit, and then he completely ignored what Sean told him and what I told him and went with a 162. He actually flat out told me that he didn't think that Sean knew quite what he was doing because he felt the bike needed a fatter jet than a 160, and that the jets that Sean recommended were way too lean. Kinda pissed me off. Then he started to tell me that the air filter sucked too much air, and that he couldn't get it adjusted perfectly because of that. It pissed me off. Never going there again. At least they loosened the carbs for me. Now I can do the rest myself! lol

When I dropped the bike off at the shop, I told the guy which jets to use. He called Sean for more clarification on the whole kit, and then he completely ignored what Sean told him and what I told him and went with a 162. He actually flat out told me that he didn't think that Sean knew quite what he was doing because he felt the bike needed a fatter jet than a 160, and that the jets that Sean recommended were way too lean. Kinda pissed me off. Then he started to tell me that the air filter sucked too much air, and that he couldn't get it adjusted perfectly because of that. It pissed me off. Never going there again. At least they loosened the carbs for me. Now I can do the rest myself! lol

jeeze. what shop u bring it to?

jeeze. what shop u bring it to?

It was a Yamaha dealership. I've known the service manager for quite some time, so I figured that he would make sure the bike was done right. Apparently not.
There's a performance shop a couple of towns over that tunes using a dyno with a/f meter. It's the same people that show up to bike night, but they can't bring the A/F with them on bike night or something. I'm thinking I might go there and see what they can do. Although I'm stingy....so I'll most likely end up switching out the jets on my own. Is there a way I can test my A/F on my own?

Is there a way I can test my A/F on my own?
To accurately check your a/f...
You could buy one of these:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/lmdiairame.html

OR you could borrow mine(if you promise to take care of it) for the cost of shipping it to ya and back. Mine also has the rpm converter which will allow data logging your rpm as well as a few other functions(not needed to check a/f btw). You would need to have an 02 sensor bung welded into your exhaust though(can be done where its not visible).

My bike ran like shit with the 157.5 jets. I have a hindle coated header/exhaust and morley muscle kit installed and the 152.5 jets make the bike run hard as a rock!

These max's are strange animals. Some run good with the bigger jets and some run good with the smaller jets. I guess it all depends on elevation and mods.

To accurately check your a/f...
You could buy one of these:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/lmdiairame.html

OR you could borrow mine(if you promise to take care of it) for the cost of shipping it to ya and back. Mine also has the rpm converter which will allow data logging your rpm as well as a few other functions(not needed to check a/f btw). You would need to have an 02 sensor bung welded into your exhaust though(can be done where its not visible).

Hmm..I don't know about putting a hole in my exhaust and welding that in there. I know how much of a bitch it was to get the exhaust ON the bike. Not sure I want to take it off again.
How does that meter work? I mean, how do you use it?

My bike ran like shit with the 157.5 jets. I have a hindle coated header/exhaust and morley muscle kit installed and the 152.5 jets make the bike run hard as a rock!

These max's are strange animals. Some run good with the bigger jets and some run good with the smaller jets. I guess it all depends on elevation and mods.

Abe, what jets are you running now? Did you bump up to 160's?
We're at pretty much the same elevation so our bikes should be pretty close to each other.

I tried 157.5's but that made my bike miss all over the upper rpm. I run 152.5's and it runs like a scalded cat. I still have that midrange miss only when lugging the bike but I never floor the bike in a low gear anyway.

I've been contemplating moving down to the stock 152.5's... It's right on the edge...

Chris

Holy crap....maybe I'm not just running a LITTLE bit rich. Maybe I'm running SUPER friggin rich!

I've been contemplating moving down to the stock 152.5's... It's right on the edge...

Chris

I figure the 152.5 have to be pretty close for me. Jeff ran them on his bike with a similar setup (except he had a kerker pipe) and ran low 11's in the 1/4 mile at 120ish. Thats where the bike should be.

4gasem what was your air fuel ratio with your holeshot exhaust and walkers stage 1 kit? was it to rich?

Back