First time replacing rear tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveish1006

Reaction score
So I'm looking to replace the rear tire on my Yamaha VMX 1200 V-Max 2002 I was wondering if there are any instructional video and/or list of tools needed. I'm also curious to the torque specs needed for the bolt on the rear axle. Any information is highly appreciated.

welcome to the forum. been motorcycling long? how long have you had your max? nice weather, we've been having, huh? you just missed our last Tech Day in Tampa. CaptainKyle changed out Tex85's using his lift and tire machine. We've could had you spinning new rubber 'fore you had time to eat Christine's crack poppers. ROFL.

anyways, are you thinking of replacing the rubber as well? i just did this myself. relatively straight forward. 1 2x4x8, 1 2x4x2, 4 2x4x4, 3 15" tire irons, 4 rim protectors, soapy water, and a high-cfm compressor. pretty much followed sam iam's lead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FD_lXPYbM

not dismissing Dennis, because I, too, like to torque per mfr specs. but, you will soon hear from members the controversy of exactly what to torque the rear axle nut to. some will say that what is spec'd out is too tight and cause the final drive to overheat. for example: torque spec for the rear shaft

To be honest I have changed so many wheels I dont even torque them any more. I just kind of have a feeling for it. I do the back to about a guestimated 50 lbs.

Yeah, what Kyle said. In addition, that rear axle cotter key must be back in, and in good shape when I finish the re-install. I figure that key as my insurance the nut ain't goin' anywhere.

Yeah, what Kyle said. In addition, that rear axle cotter key must be back in, and in good shape when I finish the re-install. I figure that key as my insurance the nut ain't goin' anywhere.

That is why I like the old castle nut instead of the newer lock nut!!

i almost lost it when i did my last tire change. i looked at holes in the end of my axle and thank goodness my puppy grabbed my socket wrench because it caused me to pause for a moment and think, "you know, self, you saw them holes 8000 miles ago when you changed out the tire last...what on earth are they for, why would an axle have ho....ahhh sumbitch, the effin PO forgot to put the cotter pin back in!" so for almost 19000 miles i was riding a hairy edge. muddapucker

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

i almost lost it when i did my last tire change. i looked at holes in the end of my axle and thank goodness my puppy grabbed my socket wrench because it caused me to pause for a moment and think, "you know, self, you saw them holes 8000 miles ago when you changed out the tire last...what on earth are they for, why would an axle have ho....ahhh sumbitch, the effin PO forgot to put the cotter pin back in!" so for almost 19000 miles i was riding a hairy edge. muddapucker

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I was putting some stuff away into one of my cabinets in the basement last week and found a small cotter pin lying in a drawer. I picked it up and studied it for a moment as I rolled it between my thumb and fore finger pondering the possibilites of whence it came from. Then, all of a sudden it hit me! I never put the cotter pin on the axle nut of Mark's YZ. I walked over to the bike and sure enough, I found a home for it.

welcome to the forum. been motorcycling long? how long have you had your max? nice weather, we've been having, huh? you just missed our last Tech Day in Tampa. CaptainKyle changed out Tex85's using his lift and tire machine. We've could had you spinning new rubber 'fore you had time to eat Christine's crack poppers. ROFL.

anyways, are you thinking of replacing the rubber as well? i just did this myself. relatively straight forward. 1 2x4x8, 1 2x4x2, 4 2x4x4, 3 15" tire irons, 4 rim protectors, soapy water, and a high-cfm compressor. pretty much followed sam iam's lead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FD_lXPYbM

thanks And I've been riding for the past 3 years, got my vmax last November and loving it so much. Just wish I didn't have trouble starting it in the cold. I've been loving the weather only a couple really cold days this year, nothing my leather gear cant handle. Sorry I missed that, had I known I probably would have went.

Back